2011 Hunting Pictures

Awsome hunts. Congrat to you all and thanks for sharing. Now I got the hunting bug. :twisted:
Greg

Good show, kiwiboy, and welcome to the forum. Which island were you hunting? Give us a few specifics of your hunt. It looks as if you took the first stag at dusk in some reasonably steep terrain.

Thanks DrMike. It was the North Island. Sika can only be found in the north island of new zealand and are spread throughout the Kaimanawa and Kaweka forest.
My brother and I were sitting at a spot on dusk where typically there are a few wallows by a stream in a steep gully and after giving a few roars this guy came sneaking down the hill to us not that we had noticed until i saw him staring straight at us.
The 2nd stag was shot on a clearing at dawn 500m away from where i had spooked another stag 5 minutes before on a separate clearing.

I've always thought I should make the trip to New Zealand to tag some game. Tahr, sambar and sika would be on my schedule for certain. Thanks for sharing the account.

Great pics Kiwiboy! Looks like a great time. Welcome to the forum! Rifle looks pretty darned good too. What caliber is it? Scotty

IMAG0081.jpg

250006_212000402167743_100000733546233_630225_388555_n.jpg

My second bear. Skull measures 19 5/8". Shot at 596 yards with a 225 AB out of a 338 Edge. Sorry about the crappy dark pic, all we had was a cell phone camera. Made for a great hunt with my two brothers just before my youngest bro gets shipped out on his first USMC deployment.

Thats awesome Jake, I would bet your brother is going to be thinking about that hunt and future ones during his entire deployment. I know thinking about getting home and hunting has pulled me threw some deployment lulls over the years! Scotty

Jake,

It's about time that bear was posted on this thread. He is a fine looking bruin, that's for sure. It is great that your brother was able to share the hunt with you before deployment.

I found this guy guy trying to get dinner in my favorite gopher patch, 2 shots with the 17 hmr put him down. I think I am going to skin him out and try tanning him for a rug myself.
badger2011001.jpg

Super-7,

Distance? Any particulars? He is a handsome fellow, to be sure. He has a good pelt that should be quite attractive. It will be a good conversation piece!

I was out popping gophers on my way home from work, I must shot 30-40 of them with the .22 when this guy popped over the hill about 80 or so yrds away. I ran back and grabbed the 17 from the truck , and put a 20 gr tnt into him, I was shooting off hand but I thought it was a good hit, but he turned and went back over the hill. So I went after him, caught up with him he was doing the flunky chicken but I put another in him at 20 yrds, as I did not want to pick up a pizzed off badger. Big male, he weighs at least 40#, they are one solid mass of muscle. I've seen some rugs, and I'd like to try brain tanning him, I'm just not sure off how to keep the paws on him, like a bear rug. Been You Tubing it just no luck. But I think using air pressure to inflate the hide and seperate it should work good, and may be less fleshing.

That is a beauty!! I have shot a few while out p-dog shooting, but always end up doing too much damage to make the rug part worth while. Might need to carry a 17HMR for a backup :wink: . Any exits from the two shots?

Yeah, it wouldn't do to try to pick up a badger that was irritated. They could do some damage to such incautious individuals.

Congrats! A badger is a pretty good test of a 17 HMR. I hit two with mine and never had any luck collecting them, so I went to a R-15 in .223 and that solved all the problems!
I usually get one or two badgers a year, but I havn't seen any this year. They look very good as a rug with the brain tan. My brother has done some brain tanning, I'll tell him to get on here and give you some info. It turned out pretty nice!

USMC89 asked me to post up a pic of his yote and this old deer heart!

IMG00182-20110203-1511.jpg

Whats left of a deer heart, shot at 60 yards with 55gr BT out of a 22-243 Middlestead. There was an exit hole as well! :twisted:

IMG00027-20101112-0950.jpg

I will turn this over to Jeff now. Awesome pictures. Scotty

beretzs":1cy071w0 said:
USMC89 asked me to post up a pic of his yote and this old deer heart!

IMG00182-20110203-1511.jpg

Whats left of a deer heart, shot at 60 yards with 55gr BT out of a 22-243 Middlestead. There was an exit hole as well! :twisted:

IMG00027-20101112-0950.jpg

I will turn this over to Jeff now. Awesome pictures. Scotty
Thanks for posting those pics scott. This was the best one I killed this year hair wise. He came into a pup distress followed up with a male challenge on the foxpro. Shot in late january at 225 yards, he came. In with a nice female but she held back a bit and I couldn't get a shot after I got him. I did get him tanned he is beautiful

Back