2014 Hunting Pictures

Awesome buck indeed; thanks for sharing. That's a trophy I'm gonna have to chase sometime soon. Yer neighbor obviously knows what he's doing!

Wow Victor, a lot of width on that Mule Deer, nice kickers on the left side too.

Was your rifle dipped to get that paint job?

longrangehunter":12g6dfp1 said:
Mickey, super nice buck, where did your son harvest that buck from?
Thanks! We hunt about 20 miles West of San Angelo, Texas. This was his 4th buck. All from the same 6 section ranch.

His first buck taken 3 years ago
8374348065_e298feb0a8_c.jpg

Second buck taken 2 years ago
10891301476_35c9af48b3_c.jpg

Third buck taken two years ago. He killed this little buck and a doe within 15 minutes of each other. We were sitting in some sparse brush on the side of a hill. The buck popped up 90 degrees to the right. My son had to maneuver his body around with his rifle in the tripod. He managed to do so without getting busted. Shot the buck at 23 yards. The doe was 150 yards away and came to investigate the commotion. He shot her at 28 yards. (after re-positioning himself back to the left 90 degrees)
12023532423_c3e7d89d56_c.jpg

This photo was taken last year. He has killed all of his deer with my LaRue Tactical PredatAR 7.62. This platform has been perfect for him. I gave this rifle to him today for his 11th birthday. He now has a permanent grin. :mrgreen:
15467757956_8b1d3816cd_c.jpg

Sounds as if he is already an old hand at this business of taking game. Great shots.

Congrats to all the successful hunters!

I got a couple of does this year during alternative weapons season with my Contender.

photo%202_zps7ze4fc1r.jpg

photo%203_zpslgzfcxap.jpg

I actually shot both of these deer within a few seconds of each other but between the time I got the first one out of the woods and went back for #2 it started raining, that is why the second deer is wet.

SJB358":1g0jfybc said:
Very nice!

What cartridge is your Contender chambered in Bob?

That one is a .30-30 AI shooting the 125 grain Ballistic Tip in front of 33.0 grains of IMR 4198 for 2600 at the muzzle. The deer in the first picture was a high lung shot at 88 yards and the wet one was heart shot at 129 yards. The little bullet works very well at that velocity I think, I would like to try it on a pronghorn one of these days.

Sue with her first deer last year. She shot this big doe at 40 yards with a 870 slug gun using
Winchester 12 ga 2.75" Rack Master slugs. The doe went about 30 yds from a shot through the slats.
DSCN0773.jpg

DSCN0777.jpg

JD338

SJB358":3qfq2s1y said:
Great picture Jim! She put the smack down on that deer!
For sure Scotty. Those Winchester Rack Master slugs hit hard. The blood trail was impressive too.

JD338

A nice, fat doe, Jim; undoubtedly excellent dining. Congratulations to Sue. (y) That sure beats the heck out of what I didn't shoot this year. :roll:

Congrats to all on their 2014 Hunting Season. I enjoy looking at pics and reading the stories.

Update from my Page 6 posting in 2014 Hunting Pictures. :mrgreen:

Successful moose camp. (y) . From the 2013 being SKUNKED for the first time ever hunting in the same area for 22 years-wolves were really bad in 2012 and especially 2013 trip. Only packed my iPhone when my boy was out for 1.5 days so only a couple pics of my trip on it. We had 4 guys with tags in camp this year again. Our group had the first bull down on the second afternoon hunt. We got 2 bulls the next morning, shot about 7-10 miles apart as the crow flies. The one I called in for a friend, and we never heard the shots from the one of the other groups of guys. That morning was a very cool, crisp NO WIND morning and was awesome for calling and listening for the bulls to bark back.

2014 Moose Camp-Back for lunch one day.
148p095.jpg

My oldest boy out for the couple days at camp - first morning out with the dad and practicing his calls. It was some great father/son time !! Had a bull barking at us, the wolves howling at us later that morning. We went on our own as the rest of the group (some slept in at camp / a few got up to tour around as 1 guy still had a tag).
wvy781.jpg

v5bbk0.jpg

A Selfie with my boy up in the stand in one of the cutblocks.
30vp5kp.jpg

My son with one of the sets of antlers. We had the animals down couple days before he come out. This is the bull I called in for one of my friends on our second morning. Had to work for this guy. I think he must of been beaten up by a bigger bull earlier.
5vbv40.jpg

Our Meat Chimes !! A Successful hunting trip !!
2woc0g7.jpg

I need to buy my boys some warmer camo clothing for this season.

When my youngest boy turns 8 (2016), he will be out at camp with the guys. By then with my hunting buddies, we will have 4-5 of the kids at camp for couple days. Right now its just 2 as it was my oldest boy's first trip out with the men.

We left camp a 1.5 days earlier as it really warmed up (+24 Celcius from being closer to 0C) on the Friday morning so we made the decision to pack up camp that afternoon. Good thing as we had the extra help from the guys that live along ways away to help process the meat. We spent the Saturday starting at 9:30am, wash, trim/cut the meat, make burger and wrap all the meat and split it 9 ways. We were all done and cleaned up by 6pm.

The rest of my hunting season was cut a bit short as I finally got the call from the surgeon and after waiting 19 months, I had my knee surgery in later part of November. Its good now and I just played my first rec-hockey game since surgery and it held up just fine :mrgreen: NO PAIN now !!

Sorry the pics are SOOO large...first time with an iPhone posting pics from it. :?

Twenty-four is a tad warm for hunting, that's for sure! Great pictures. It is great to see the children joining in hunting camp. Those a special times that will be treasured memories for you and for them. Thanks for posting.

And a lovely buck he is. Nice spread on the antlers. Care to give the account of the hunt? We're all eager to hear of the hunts others have enjoyed.

Back