2016 Hunting Pictures

So the male Wood Rat aka Pack Rat has eluded me for the past few weeks until today! I needed some nails from the storage shipping containers, which BTW are 100 % mouse and rat proof as long as you don't leave the door open! While I was in there I heard the rat running around on the roof, which has its own roofing protecting the two units and my tractor I park under it between the two shipping containers.

I thought no way, he's now moved in over here? Sure enough he had! I went back for my pistol, and the ladder to get up on the roof to look for him? It was all quite and I walked into the trusses across the two units looking for him? Sure enough there he was sitting between two trusses near the bottom of the roof line. He took a round below the ear and exited his opposite side of his shoulder, dead on the spot!

I had to crawl down to fetch him from the soffit, tight area to reach but I finally got my fingers to reach his tail! Hopefully this was the only one left around here for awhile? They can trash a place/area pretty fast and this guy left a real mess that will need to be cleaned up which sucks!

Very meaty rat! I wonder what he's taste like?

Attachments

• IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4,863
Actually, a rather handsome little critter--and as you noted, meaty. When conducting research some years ago, I was killing about 200 fat Sprague-Dawley rats each Friday. I casually commented to my wife one evening, "Lucy Fan gave me a recipe for sweet and sour rat today." My wife didn't even hesitate before saying, "The day you bring a rat home, you don't have a home." I still don't know what rat tastes like!

DrMike":3so4tpbc said:
Actually, a rather handsome little critter--and as you noted, meaty. When conducting research some years ago, I was killing about 200 fat Sprague-Dawley rats each Friday. I casually commented to my wife one evening, "Lucy Fan gave me a recipe for sweet and sour rat today." My wife didn't even hesitate before saying, "The day you bring a rat home, you don't have a home." I still don't know what rat tastes like!

And I hope you never do! :shock:

Yah, but he really had meaty hind quarters and beefy front shoulders! It must have been from all the jumping and lifting getting up 8' 6" off the ground and on top of the shipping containers? Although he did have some lumber, and like what I used, the snow thrower, and wood chipper to see him up there? I realized I made it easy for him to get a good leap up there?

I did smell him, didn't smell at all, unlike the piss and shit scent marking they do everywhere else! Then I noticed some very small bugs crawling on him, like a super small flea! In a plastic bag he went, and then another, and another!

If I was homeless and hungry, I'd cook him up and at least taste him? If it was good, he'd be good to go! lol

e2c8ca289608461a67233a2fb2100dee.jpg

My buddy just filled his Nunivak Muskox tag. Looks like he used his 300 RUM that is a twin to mine. It's an expensive hunt but one I'd love to do some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations to your buddy. A muskox is a trophy at any time. Definitely a hunt I'd love to make one day.

I've seen a lot of them, their not as entertaining as you would think. They mainly just lay around 85% of the time. I've watched a herd up on the haul rd, barely mode 20 yards in a week.

This little bugger is the only one that's ever did anything entertaining.

Wow! Very cool. How far north in Alaska do I need to go, to see Musk Ox? Have camera, will travel! :)

Guy Miner":6tn1riei said:
Wow! Very cool. How far north in Alaska do I need to go, to see Musk Ox? Have camera, will travel! :)

Wild ones

About 10 hours north of Fairbanks, there are usually some next to the road by the pipeline pump house.

There are tame ones in Palmer and south of anchorage by girdwood.

This one pictured was on nunavik island.

From last Tuesday afternoon. Sunny and 75 degrees.
The section we were hunting is an old abandoned farm with lots of apple trees.
Katie connected first, about 130 yards using her 30-06 and 180 barns. IMG_0602.JPG
While I rendered her elk into more manageable portions the boss took Molly, no relation to my GSP, around the hill on the quad.
The herd was just coming over the hill. Molly sat down, touched off with her 25-06 dropping her cow at 260 yards.
Her 120 grain Partition angled back through the liver into the gut and was not recovered.IMG_0604.JPG
While working on Molly's elk I chanced to look across the draw and spotted a beautiful black bear. A moment before the girls shot we saw a cub following behind. Thankfully we didn't have a bear as well.
We're off and running.

Excellent photos of great results. Looks as if 2016 is off to a good start for some.

longrangehunter":7223opcx said:
So the male Wood Rat aka Pack Rat has eluded me for the past few weeks until today! I needed some nails from the storage shipping containers, which BTW are 100 % mouse and rat proof as long as you don't leave the door open! While I was in there I heard the rat running around on the roof, which has its own roofing protecting the two units and my tractor I park under it between the two shipping containers.

I thought no way, he's now moved in over here? Sure enough he had! I went back for my pistol, and the ladder to get up on the roof to look for him? It was all quite and I walked into the trusses across the two units looking for him? Sure enough there he was sitting between two trusses near the bottom of the roof line. He took a round below the ear and exited his opposite side of his shoulder, dead on the spot!

I had to crawl down to fetch him from the soffit, tight area to reach but I finally got my fingers to reach his tail! Hopefully this was the only one left around here for awhile? They can trash a place/area pretty fast and this guy left a real mess that will need to be cleaned up which sucks!

Very meaty rat! I wonder what he's taste like?
Squirrel is good after the second frost. I don't know nothing about any warm blooded before.

b959a595c5cfc9405c8194bde7e51621.jpg

My buddies wife took a nice bou this weekend. I hope to get one just like it this coming weekend!

Congratulations to your buddy's wife! That is, indeed, a good looking 'bou. Maybe I'll be successful, yet. I still have a tag in my pocket.

Back