2016 Hunting Pictures

Yeah, wolves do have a tendency to chase off the coyotes. As the wolves move into an area around here, you definitely see fewer coyotes. Even the black bears get skittish.

Nice shooting Kevin. I dig those 77 SMKs. They make a 223 look a little bigger than it is.

Sue with her Michigan Late Season Spring Turkey
10" beard and 1" spurs taken with a Remington 870 Magnum Pure Gold .670" choke shooting Winchester Long Beard 12 ga 3" #5.
Range was 40 yards.
DSCN10241.jpg

JD338

This is my friend's black bear from yesterday, probably a 3 year old boar I would guess. I didn't want to use a picture of him without his permission so am posting one with just me. Young bear but you can tell he would have been a good sized boar one day judging from those long legs and good sized paws. He was a 5 foot bear, my friend was hoping for a bigger one but with this being his last chance to shoot one this spring season he eventually decided to take him. This is only his second animal ever with his first bear of about the same size was shot in early May. He wanted more meat so this one was a good one to shoot even though he was rubbed already. He has recently been given a beautiful Husqvarna 9000 300 Win Mag with a Leupold 3.5-10x40 scope as a gift so was the first animal with it. He was also given a bunch of ammo so I'm not sure even what the bullets were that he used. He did hit the bear perfectly through the lungs twice but those bullets disintegrated pretty bad but still destroyed the lungs. Not a bullet for a 7 footer or a moose though.....

For those who didn't see it here was the one I took about a month ago and the story is here.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33263

Gerry,

Congratulations to you and your friend on a couple of nice black bears.

JD338

Congratulations to your friend. Sounds as if you will be doing some work to develop a load with a decent bullet, Gerry. That boar certainly has large paws; you're correct that he had the genetics that would have allowed him to grow into a big boy. Sounds as if it was a great day to be afield. That is a good season for black bear; it would be difficult to find one that isn't rubbed now. Ours closed on the 15th, which was a day of heavy rain. So I didn't get out for the final few days.

Sue started off this summer with a nice crop damage doe at 150 yards.
The Nosler M48 280AI is topped with a VX-6 2-12x42mm WindPlex reticle and loaded with a 140 gr BT's at 3180 fps. One well placed shot resulted in a DRT doe. She still has beans in her mouth.
Sue%20Crop%20Damage%20Doe%20150yds.jpg

Sues%20Crop%20Damage%20Doe%20150%20yards%2007212016.jpg

Way to go Sue!
JD338

Sunday we went up to scout out the cow elk gathering spot. This year we only spotted 38 elk, compared to other years with as many as 150, but we only needed 2. They were on the same field they were on 2 years ago and we had a pretty good idea of what they'd do in the morning. So the next morning the wife and I came around on top of them and someone had already spooked them (we didn't know that at the time but saw them later) and pushed them up into the sage brush (BLM land). We rode the quad down as close as we dared and took off on foot. This is all sage brush, totally devoid of trees, so using the rolls of the hills we got to about 300-350yd and couldn't get any closer. They were nervous and headed our way. We waited them out and they walked to about 175yds of us. They saw us but didn't know what we were and got nervous. I had the wife drop the lead cow with my 6.5x47 Lapua and 140 Bergers. The rest trotted off and my dad shot his when they went around the hill from us.

Attachments

• Krystals Elk.jpg
    Krystals Elk.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 4,895
  • dadselk.jpg
    dadselk.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 4,895
Congratulations to your wife! Excellent harvest. The warmer temperatures no doubt create an urgency to get them cleaned.

It was 93 degrees that day. This year we bought a freezer and used a generator in the back of the truck to get home. My wife's elk had what kind of looks like mange but I called the F&G and they said it was probably mites or something similar and shouldn't effect the meat.

On another note, my new Cat Ari, got caught up with what I believe was a Bobcat last night. She's only a little over a year old, I got her from the Humane Society over two weeks ago. Great cat, and loves hanging outside, she's been catching Dragonflies every evening.... and yes likes to bring them in the house at dusk when the Dragonflies are resting on the 4' tall grass.

Well after she brought in two of them she came running back in the house, only this time didn't seemed too happy? She was wanting to jump up on the exposed trusses in the house. I went to check on her and noticed blood on my bath mat! Ok, and noticed a 3" gash in her right rear leg! Oh boy, I thought maybe an Owl, I've killed two Coyotes in the last month and a half, a male, and a female.

So I grabbed the M4 and headed outside with the SureFire light up that's attached to it Most of the grass is 4' tall around here, but I have a 1 acre Clover field right in back, sure enough when I went around the corner of the house the light lit up the green eyes of a animal, but quickly turned away from the beam. As luck would have it I got another look at me, and Boom!

I didn't see the blood until this morning at 5:30 after we used the Fox Pro electronic caller, but Zuri and I couldn't find the animal? No blow through either, which leads me to believe it was a Bobcat, plus the green eyes at night!

Gotta run Ari to the Vets!

Later

It was the 140 Hunting bullet. I couldn't get the Amax's to shoot in this gun or I would have used them. The Amax's kill really well in my 6.5-300wm. It looks to me like the hunting Bergers are pretty soft but I never did gut the elk. I found a fragment of one from the high shoulder shot when I was boning them out.

This was some shoot'm up style a month ago. These Wood Rats, AKA Pack Rats are interesting creatures to say the least, but the smell, is too much once they come around. I have a old pump house that's roughy 10'x10' and all insulated inside with foam board on the walls, and fiberglass insulation up in the rafters, or at least I should say.... Was until these lovely animals got in there and made a real mess of it!

Dangerous to even walk in the smell is so bad! I had to spray bleach all over everything inside, and let it air out for the past two weeks! I took out two more of the smaller ones a few day later, one moved under the cabin and brought his old nest with him! Moved that insulation piece by piece!

So this is why I got the Cat Ari. I've been trying to hunt down the last Wood Rat which I'm sure is the male since they tend to be the smartest? Oh, and the largest too! He's eluded me for weeks now, and now I have a wounded Cat!

So this was fast and furious CQC action that took some quick work on my part, and yes in a 10'x10' concrete room I had a little concrete dust hit my face where these Rats pulled the insulation board off the wall! I went for the mom first since I thought the youngsters wouldn't know what to do with her down! Needless to say I was the winner of the fight no thanks to my trusty Military Model 106 High Standard Supermatic Tournament in 22 LR! This pistol was given to me by a good friend Michael J. Pinto, unfortunately he past away years later. May your soul rest in peace my dear friend.

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    785.1 KB · Views: 4,878
Excellent! Sometimes the most challenging hunt is for the smallest quarry. Takes me back to my childhood when we hunted rats in the barns to eradicate them. Obviously, we didn't do a complete job as we always had another hunt to conduct the following year.

Back