2018 Big Game Plans?

We will be deciding on our apps in the next week or so, Colorado mule deer is possible as is New Mexico mule deer, if one of those doesn't hit, it will be otc Elk in Colorado and perhaps a black bear hunt in the Gila, NM. Me and the .270 are going somewhere for sure.
Scotty, good luck on the Elk draw in NM, its tough for a non res.

Bruce Mc":3dgxut92 said:
We will be deciding on our apps in the next week or so, Colorado mule deer is possible as is New Mexico mule deer, if one of those doesn't hit, it will be otc Elk in Colorado and perhaps a black bear hunt in the Gila, NM. Me and the .270 are going somewhere for sure.
Scotty, good luck on the Elk draw in NM, its tough for a non res.

Thank you Bruce. I have been trying for awhile but I don’t count on it to fill the freezer.

Spring turkey. I hope to get 3-5 tags and fill a few of them. My wife should draw a bear tag for early September. From there WI archery deer and rifle deer seasons. The biggest wish is to draw my first elk and travel to Wyoming to hunt in mid-October with my brother in law. After all the hunting, I will run my coyote trapline and hopefully catch 12-15 coyotes.

Should be a fun season.

Standard stuff here in Maine , Moose, Whitetail, Black Bear, plus headed out to Colorado to hunt the Cabot Ranch for late season Elk. Guiding grouse hunters over our Setters all of October. Probably will take our new
Model 70/270 to Co, with 150gr ABLR bullets, to see if I can scratch up the wood stock!
Doing winter Coyote hunts here now off the snowmobiles both calling and with dogs, loads of good fun! One of the local guides yesterdayIMG_2085.JPG

Ontario black bear (fall), Michigan white tail (will get 3-5tags)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Applied for elk in Arizona with my son. If not drawn maybe over the counter elk in Colorado and mule deer in AZ. Could get a mule deer tag in CA for here on our ranch, but it is not hunting.

35 that is an amazing coyote, and cat. I have been out a few times here in Az for Coyotes and scored on a few, but nothing like those. They are very small here and skinny with sparse fur. I am already in for elk in Wyoming, and of course will apply in Oregon. I am trying to find a hunt in Washington but depending upon Wyoming timing may be an issue. There is always a chance for Idaho also depending upon timing. I have several PP's in Az, and Nevada waiting for me. Probably do a little deer hunting around the house , as we are having a mild winter the deer herds will start coming back. It will take a couple of more mild winters before they get to 16 levels.

Europe":zvax0jmu said:
Australia with gal pals

Arizona with son, daughter and granddaughter

Austria with granddaughter

I have been asked to elaborate a bit on the above post I made yesterday

Arizona will be for Elk on an Indian Reservation

Austria is still being decided, but my granddaughters wish list is--Alpine Ibex, Fallow Deer, Mouflon

Australia is VERY VERY fluid, as getting that many women to agree is like Trump working with the Democrats in congress. At this date we may not hunt at all or we may hunt New Zealand Instead. Aleena, Jamila and I have been to both countries so we dont really care, but others have been to neither. Some actually have decided they would prefer to fish the oceans around New Zealand than hunt, so we will see.

I would like to share this with the forum, especially Dr Mike, Hodgeman, Gil and Guy, who I think communicates with her most often.

It was suggested we hunt the Rusa and Banteng in Australia and our resident Canadian female Indian said " I am not going to travel all the way to Australia to hunt a deer and a cow"

spring turkey
maybe spring bear
antelope archery/rifle
deer archery/rifle
elk archery/rifle

Last edited:
I’m putting in for a Colorado deer tag, if I don’t get drawn, I’m looking into Idaho as a backup plan, talking with some friends about a spring bear hunt in Montana.

My plans are pretty simple this year. All my hunting will be in Arizona.

Elk, have eight bonus points so I’m putting in for early hunts in trophy units. Twenty five tags in one unit with [emoji817] % success rate.

Antelope, put in with a buddy for the unit my house is in and a second unit southeast of mi casa.

Deer, Kaibab for mule deer. Likely won’t get drawn but you never know.

Bear, OTC.

Things are looking up and rebuilding from divorce and bankruptcy. Can’t afford to go traipsing all over this year.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black bear- spring/fall
Moose- my wife should get a license
Caribou- hopefully I luck out in the draw

Welcome aboard, Brake708. I'm always glad to see another Canadian posting. Good animals to add to the freezer, for sure.

DrMike":btnl8n5a said:
Welcome aboard, Brake708. I'm always glad to see another Canadian posting. Good animals to add to the freezer, for sure.

Thanks DrMike it's a pleasure to be on this forum.

Well I had a bit of a wrench thrown in my plans. 3 of us Idahoans drew for moose in AK and 1 drew for a really good caribou tag. One of the AK guys drew for a really good sheep tag and a elk tag so my sheep hunt might have to wait a year or so. I'm still trying to hit Kodiak for deer and caribou a few weeks prior to our moose hunt if I can as a back up plan to the sheep hunt. The AK boys are coming down here for elk in October/November as well so it will be a busy fall again but I can't wait for it to get here.

Alaska peninsula Brown Bear.
A very good friend and guide just had two hunters cancel for May 20-30. They have forfeited their deposits. Trip can be had for the balance.
Once in a lifetime deal, boys and girls. great guide, great area. PM me for details if you've been saving and dreaming.

salmonchaser":akuk0yno said:
A very good friend and guide just had two hunters cancel for May 20-30. They have forfeited their deposits. Trip can be had for the balance.
Once in a lifetime deal, boys and girls. great guide, great area. PM me for details if you've been saving and dreaming.

Woo Hoo! (y) Somebody ought to take this opportunity! I can't... Besides, I had my big bear hunt last year.

Guy

Guy Miner":2ra3r6l7 said:
salmonchaser":2ra3r6l7 said:

Woo Hoo! (y) Somebody ought to take this opportunity! I can't... Besides, I had my big bear hunt last year.

Guy
If I hadn't just bought and furnished this house I would do it. There are some awfully big bears in his area.

I don't know why, in March, I'm so danged excited about this year's hunting season... I always look forward to it, but dang... Changing it up just a bit this year, at least I intend to, maybe that's it?

Washington - I wasn't thinking much about bear hunting, but now... It seems like a good idea. I'll try the predator call again.

Switching to archery for mule deer and elk in Washington too. Don't know if I'll meet with success, but I'm going to give it a try.

If I get those Wyoming tags, I'll be headed to that state for mule deer & antelope again... Yee Haw! Love that trip.

Guy

Back