2022 Hunting Pictures

Another one bites the dust. 200 yard shot with the 8x57 180gr barnes TSX @2780 fps. Dropped on the spot. I believe this buck to be a hybrid Mule/Whitetail. Our local area is known to produce these hybrids with mule deer and whitetails living in the same area. Whitetail features include the tail and ears, the hide color is a blend of mule deer/whitetail, forked mule deer style antlers.

8Yvkmej.jpg

KZ7wgkz.jpg
What a great trophy! Congratulations on your successful hunt and accurate shooting.

Had a late season doe tag, and used it this morning. I'll be working on the meat this afternoon.

Henry 30-30 with a 2.5x Leupold. Handloaded 160 grain Hornady FTX bullet. Steadied the rifle on a tripod and shot the doe at 170 yards. She was down almost instantly, shot through the lungs. The good little 30-30 cartridge did it again. :)

CKKDcY0h.jpg

Regards, Guy

Excellent! She appears to be a fat girl that'll provide some fine chops and steaks. Congratulations.

Congratulations Guy! Looks like a butterball doe. Nice shooting too, 170 yards is a pretty good poke!

JD338

Excellent! She appears to be a fat girl that'll provide some fine chops and steaks. Congratulations.
I got the backstraps off her a bit ago. They look GREAT. Not as big as from the big-bodied buck I shot last year, but big, and really nice meat. So grateful for the chance to hunt this December. I really like these late season hunts.

Regards, Guy

Congratulations Guy! Looks like a butterball doe. Nice shooting too, 170 yards is a pretty good poke!

JD338
Funny, I had a moment there looking through the little 2.5x Leupold that I thought... Hmmm, I could'a had a 25-06.... ;)

Oh, that 160 grain Hornady FTX made a big entrance wound, destroyed the lungs and at least some of the bullet exited. I haven't weighed the chunk of bullet I recovered, but I doubt if it weighs 20 grains. She was also standing at more of an angle than I thought. In just behind the foreleg, blew a hole through a couple of ribs, trashed the lungs, then tracked back and exited the flank. Yup, caught a little bit of stomach on the way out. Sigh...

Lots of meat and quite a bit of fat on her. I'm happy.

Guy

I went out this evening to move my climber for the weekend (found fresh rubs). It was raining and miserable - and a long way from the truck - but it needed to be done. When I got to my climber I put it together and put it on my back. Crossing the first rise there he was. It was quite thick but I was able to get off 2 shots with my 7mm-08 (140g Partitions with 43g Varget). What a great bullet on hogs. Over 300 lbs on the hoof. I put my foot by his head for perspective. I've seen him a few times the past couple of seasons, but he has been way too savvy for any of us who hunt this property.
20221207_165424.jpg

Last edited:
Had a late season doe tag, and used it this morning. I'll be working on the meat this afternoon.

Henry 30-30 with a 2.5x Leupold. Handloaded 160 grain Hornady FTX bullet. Steadied the rifle on a tripod and shot the doe at 170 yards. She was down almost instantly, shot through the lungs. The good little 30-30 cartridge did it again. :)

CKKDcY0h.jpg

Regards, Guy
Congratulations Guy. That was a great shot and nice looking doe.

I went out this evening to move my climber for the weekend (found fresh rubs). It was raining and miserable - and a long way from the truck - but it needed to be done. When I got to my climber I put it together and put it on my back. Crossing the first rise there she was. It was quite thick but I was able to get off 2 shots with my 7mm-08 (140g Partitions with 43g Varget). What a great bullet on hogs. Over 250 lbs on the hoof. I put my foot by her head for perspective. I've seen her a few times the past couple of seasons, but she has been way too savvy for any of us who hunt this property.
View attachment 18411
Congratulations on taking the hog. It must have been gratifying to finally get it after a couple of seasons.

Time for the yearly post. Hope all my old friends on here are doing well and happy upcoming holidays to all!
No complaints from the 2022 season, short of I ate one CO mule deer archery tag, 1 archery bear, 1 rifle bear, 1 cow elk, 1 bull elk, and 1 Kansas archery tag. No tags filled but the freezer is full. It's about the hunt and those around us right? The September Colorado high country never disappoints, and I was able to spend multiple days archery hunting with my girlfriend.
What appears to have now turned into the annual Thanksgiving cow elk hunt was a success. Both my boy and girlfriend were able to connect for the third year in a row, again back to back days.
My boy's second elk with the 300 PRC, 356 yards. (Reluctant to say still shooting factory ammo) - Girlfriend's 3rd elk with the .260 Remington @ an even 350 yards. Can wait to do a little load development on both these rounds in the upcoming month.

Attachments

• Nosler1.JPG
    Nosler1.JPG
    813.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Nosler2.JPG
    Nosler2.JPG
    483.4 KB · Views: 18
Congratulations for mentoring your son and girlfriend to successful hunts. Congratulations to them for making fine shots. Thanksgiving hunts sound like a fine tradition.

I had a doe tag left and took a stroll out back this afternoon. Been snowing since yesterday morning so I figured the deer would be in the food plots early. Only sat about 15 minutes and I could see deer heading my way from the swamp. This big doe offered me a shot and I took it with the Nosler M21 375 H&H Mag. The Speer 270 gr SPBT did a great job putting her down quickly.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20221217_171451057.jpg
    IMG_20221217_171451057.jpg
    576 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20221217_165443968.jpg
    IMG_20221217_165443968.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 15
There's no replacement for displacement.😄

JD338
Yeah, the 338 RUM might not have been enough. :rolleyes:

Congratulations, Jim. Is this the first animal with the 375 H&H or did you previously shoot a crop damage deer with it? So now you have broken in both the .308 Win. and the .375 H&H?

Yeah, the 338 RUM might not have been enough. :rolleyes:

Congratulations, Jim. Is this the first animal with the 375 H&H or did you previously shoot a crop damage deer with it? So now you have broken in both the .308 Win. and the .375 H&H?
Thank you fellas.
Dan,
That is #2 for the 375. I shot a crop damage deer with it this past summer.

JD338

Back