2023 Burn Rate Chart

I'm posting this chart...
Perhaps the mods could move it up and do a side by side as this has some powders from yesteryear but missing some of the very latest....or maybe just the name was changed 🤷‍♂️
Either way one could compare where the newest powders fall against some not on the newest list via the older chart...burnratechartnew.jpg

Explain

No longer made?
Enduron powders were announced last year as unavailable and no longer made.

Norma powders have been unavailable since 2020 and are no longer imported to the US, therefore no longer commercially available to us. I have no idea if they are available in Europe.

Shame there is no ADI powders as I need to keep trying to remember which types of powders ADI make for the different resellers like Hodgson and what they rename it to....still a handy chart though

Looking at the updated 2023 powder rate burn chart it stands out to me that Power Pro Varmint is listed as faster than IMR4064. Simply because those are two powders I have used recently.

Load development with my 35 Whelen AI this past year with the 200 TTSX shows without a doubt Power Pro Varmint takes a slightly heavier charge vs IMR4064 to reach max load in my gun, and PPV gives a bit more velocity with that slightly heavier charge weight.

From what I understand, Alliant does not give info for their Power Pro powders to be used in QL. With that being the case, how can Alliant Power Pro powders be accurately place in a powder burn rate chart?

Looking at the updated 2023 powder rate burn chart it stands out to me that Power Pro Varmint is listed as faster than IMR4064. Simply because those are two powders I have used recently.

Load development with my 35 Whelen AI this past year with the 200 TTSX shows without a doubt Power Pro Varmint takes a slightly heavier charge vs IMR4064 to reach max load in my gun, and PPV gives a bit more velocity with that slightly heavier charge weight.

From what I understand, Alliant does not give info for their Power Pro powders to be used in QL. With that being the case, how can Alliant Power Pro powders be accurately place in a powder burn rate chart?
More so is why QL doesn't list those particular powders! Also, no listing on superformance either.

That they are in a powder rate burn chart must be based on general data posted by bullet manufacturer data such as Speer. Overall, is that what these charts are based upon or is data provided by manufacturers of powder to help rank burn rate?

This is a perfect example of why those charts are approximations and depending on the cartridge, they could change place such as was my experience with the Whelen AI. Possibly lot to lot variation is a factor too.

With that being the case, how can Alliant Power Pro powders be accurately place in a powder burn rate chart?
Accurately placed is the key phrase with all of them.

If you look very carefully at different burn rate charts you will see differences here and there. Different authors....slightly differing charts. Who is exactly right who knows but make no mistake there're subtle differences between charts

Save those old charts ladies and gentlemen…I often find older un-opened powder at garage sales. I will never drive by a garage sale lol

Last edited:
Accurately placed is the key phrase with all of them.

If you look very carefully at different burn rate charts you will see differences here and there. Different authors....slightly differing charts. Who is exactly right who knows but make no mistake there're subtle differences between charts
Depends on more than you think

Case volume cartridge capacity bullet weight barrel volume etc.. watch the Hornady pod cast and see

I hear some powders like N570 burn a lot hotter than others, is there a ranking of how hot the burn similar the the burn rate?
Thanks
ASD

20230309_050444.jpg
This is all I have on heat of explosion.
Maybe someone who has Quickload can share a compilation of current listed numbers.

Wao thank you! I have read a few times how hot VV N570 burns and how bad it can be for chambers, but it appears the n540, n540, N550 and N560 are even hotter.
Varget, H50BMG, and h4895 are very close.
I'd like to know if this "heat of explosion " is correlated to energy potential.
I know I can get better velocity from Reloder 33 than H50BMG at the same pressure but RL33 is "cooler " burning than H50BMG on this chart.

Also, single based powders hit the pressure wall sooner than double based powders, running high pressure loads with single based powders can burn out a barrel as fast as lower pressure loads with double based powders.

Last edited:
I think there is way more important things to worry about than the heat that is generated from the burning powder . varget is near the top for heat produced . it has to be one of the most popular powders on the market . I don't remember ever hearing , or reading , about varget being hard on barrels .

maybe it's just me but , I don't see much value in a powder burn rate chart , and I'll add the powder heat generated chart to this list of low value info .

Barrels are parts. Just like brake pads and rotors. Shoot it enough and you’ll need to replace it. Hard breaking from high speed wears out brakes. High pressure loads burn out the throats. You work on a hot rod more than a Sunday driver. Nothing comes for free. I don’t worry about barrels that much. I’ve replaced 4 in the last 3 years. Not all were needed but they are parts, a couple were out of want.

Edit: “a couple was out of want.“ sorry about the grammar.

Last edited:
Back