204 Plinker?

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
I'm looking to get a new rifle to take the grandsons out shooting..I want just an off the shelf gun in a cartridge that I don't already own, so I can play around with loads. but more importantly the criteria is: Low recoil, accurate out to 200-300, cheap to reload, and something that's not on every other shooting bench. I'm thinking a 204 Ruger might be a fun one to experiment with. And could always be used for popping groundhogs..I really only have an anecdotal knowledge of the cartridge, so hoping to get some input.

Guy has one, never owned one. I shoot the parent in the 222 Remington Mag, and love it!

I can't see any flaws in your plan, easy to shoot, cheap to load and fun all the way around.

I have a Ruger M77 MKII ultra light in .204 as my main coyote rifle. The .204 would be about perfect for what you want to do. I am running the 35 gr. Berger over 8208xbr at around 3700 out of the 20” barrel. 32 Vmax shoot well, are cheap, and would definitely hammer groundhogs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beerbucksducks":g6btw7bl said:
I have a Ruger M77 MKII ultra light in .204 as my main coyote rifle. The .204 would be about perfect for what you want to do. I am running the 35 gr. Berger over 8208xbr at around 3700 out of the 20” barrel. 32 Vmax shoot well, are cheap, and would definitely hammer groundhogs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks guys..the dealer down the road has a Savage 11 THXP that i can get a decent deal on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I just picked up a Howa 1500 Kuiu in 204 Ruger at Sportsmans for $379. The cerakote looks nice, trigger breaks at 3lbs and it shoots great!

I don't shoot mine as often as I'd like, but yes, the little 204 Ruger is a great varmint cartridge.

4,000 fps is certainly possible, with "book" loads and 32 grain varmint bullets. Talk about a flat trajectory!

Mine is a CZ varmint rifle, and is very accurate. I don't really look at it as a plinker. It's as noisy as any of the .223 type cartridges. Barrel life isn't reported to be particularly long. It is a very effective varmint cartridge with exceptionally low recoil.

Would be less expensive to shoot the .223 instead, but I do like the 204 Ruger. There is a whole forum devoted to the 204 Ruger by the way: https://204ruger.com/

Regards, Guy

Thanks, Guy! Yea 223 is a little cheaper, but I already have 4 of them and wanting something new to play with and let the boys shoot..

The 204 is fun to shoot, and you can actually watch the hole appear in the target as there is no recoil to speak of! That is a great thing for kids!

Sounds like the 204 would do everything you are asking of it. I wonder if a 17 Hornet might also be an option, not everyone has one of those and it would be cheap to shoot.

gerry":1tz4etmo said:
Sounds like the 204 would do everything you are asking of it. I wonder if a 17 Hornet might also be an option, not everyone has one of those and it would be cheap to shoot.

Dern your hide gerry! How I didn't think about a .17 is beyond me! Now that's something else to roll around in the old noggin..
:lol: :lol:
A guy I used to shoot with has/had a CZ in 17 hornet and it's a fantastic rifle! I can't remember the model number of that CZ, but should be easy enough to find.

hunter24605":1f4yyug3 said:
gerry":1f4yyug3 said:

Dern your hide gerry! How I didn't think about a .17 is beyond me! Now that's something else to roll around in the old noggin..
:lol: :lol:
A guy I used to shoot with has/had a CZ in 17 hornet and it's a fantastic rifle! I can't remember the model number of that CZ, but should be easy enough to find.

I don't know what brass availability for the 17 Hornet is like compared to the 204 Ruger or what the difference in cost would be. Bullets probably run the same price but the Hornet should burn a lot less powder. Either one would be cool that's for sure.

I've always kinda wanted a .221 fireball in a rifle, but good luck finding that in an off the shelf rifle. Maybe a Cooper.... $$$

Looking things over, I guess I should have started this in the Rifles section..Anyway, I think I've narrowed it down to a 204 for sure and stuck choosing between the
Savage 11FCNS and the CZ 527..The web consensus seems to be pick the one you like best. Both are excellent shooters..I've owned and been happy with many Savages over the years, never owned a CZ, but I'm certain I would be happy with it..Guess I'll do some more research and handle them both. No rush here, I have to get past finishing the basement first...I've been informed a family room takes precedence over a rifle, optics, and reloading supplies..

I have a Ruger #1 B in .204. My teenage boys love shooting it at sage rats.

Have a 223 CZ 527. The single set trigger is great. Flat out shoots! The only thing about CZ’s is the safety is backwards from my model 70’s and 77’s.

I spent the weekend traveling and visiting dealers and was able to handle both the Savage 11FNCS and the CZ 527 Varmint..I settled on the CZ just because it felt more natural to shoulder and aesthetics..They only had it in 17 Hornet, so I went to my local GS this morning and placed the order for the 204R...Good ole' Uncle Sam is being a little more generous than anticipated, so there's room to finish off the little bit left on the family room, and order a new toy!!

Back