22-250 Ackley Loads?

richcale

Beginner
Dec 6, 2004
About 15 years ago I traded for, among other weapons, a 700 BDL Varmit rifle in 22-250. This was about a six gun deal done in the basement of the other guys house with pour lighting. The guy really bragged her up saying it would put three shots in a dime. About a month later I finally got the chance to shoot it and it didn't shoot nearly as good as advertised. When cleaning it I was very disappointed to see the first six inches of the riflings completely washed out. So I took the rifle to my gunsmith and had a Shilen competition barrel installed and chambered in 22-250 improved, Timney trigger installed and the stock glass bedded. I then installed a Harris bipod and 12x Leopold target scope with fine cross hairs and target dot. I fire formed about 40 cases during break in, cleaning after every shot for the first 10 rounds and every fifth after that. I then put it in the safe and besides cleaning and oiling twice a year, haven't touched it since. Pathetic, huh :roll: . Ok so what I'm looking for is loads for the 52 gr. competition hollow points and the 60 gr partitions. I think it is either time to tune her in or send her down the road. My new year's resolution was to make more time for hunting, fishing and shooting so I may as well get started. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

I've never quite been able to get the -250's to shoot consistant with the .222's etc if that is what you are looking for. Every once in a while I'll get an awesome group. As I've stated here several times, I've started using the Viht powders. N140 in my 22-250. I have to admit, it's my yote rifle (700rem varmiter..3rd barrel) I'm using the ......umm have used the b-tips, but also use the 55gr shhhhh..*green tipped* ones too wit geat luck.

Have to agree with powerstroke, you wont get the tiny groups like the 222 will give you. You should however easily get in the .3"s with 50-55g btips or vmaxes. Try imr 4895. My dads ruger target 22-250 shoots very well with imr4895 and 50g bullets, as well as 52g smk's.

Try Varget.
50 gr Bullet load data:
Start load 36.0 grs
Max load 40.0 grs

Also try Federal GM210M primers.

Good luck,

JD338

Hey there i used 38 grains of IMR 4064 fed 210 primer 55 g BT, in my 22-250 imp with very good accuracy & vol,This is near max load in my rifle so start 10% below and work your way up be safe woodduck oz.

Wow, your gettin close woodchuck. My best is 37.5gr of IMR 4064, w/55gr NOSLER bts in my 22-250 ackley, 3740 fps.
It shoots .3s or 1.5 @ 400yds off the tailgate on 10x.
love that gun.
OCK

Back