22-250 & Nosler 50gr BT's

Savage Fanatic

Beginner
Oct 31, 2004
Looking in Nosler's #6, their "most accurate load" is using Hodgdons H380. Everyone I've talked to locally said Varget is the choice of small bore shooters. Though I'm unable to find any thing that backs their statement.

Savage Fanatic

22-250 Rem, 50 gr BT, 36.0 grs Varget
22-250Rem50grBT398.jpg

JD338

Wow!!!!!!!!

That's convincing enough for me!

I knew my 12 LRPV was a tack driver with the 50gr BT's. Just where to start!

Savage Fanatic

Just remember to start low and work up.

JD338

I was figuring, start around 34.5gr. to 35gr and work up. in .5gr increments

Some where I read or some one told me.........

When starting out, to reduce the charge by 10%.

But based on your "sweet spot" 36.0gr. That would put the charge well below what both Hodgdon and Nosler considers minimum.

BTW..... how far off the lands are you seating? I fully understand, that is going to vary from rifle to rifle etc.

Savage Fanatic

I am shooting a Remington M700 VLS 22-250, I am .072" off the lands.
My COL is 2.468".

JD338

Some bits of information state to start off at ten thousands from the lands, while others state to start off at twenty thousands from the lands and work from there.

Probably my best bet would be to find a charge "weight" that gives me the best group at twenty thousands off the lands, and work from there.

Or start with loads from 35-37gr in .5gr increments. Starting at ten thousands off the lands, and note which charge produced the best group for that seating depth.

Then repeat the cycle only seat per say another ten thousands deeper, etc.

In the mean time watch for signs of excessive pressure.

Savage Fanatic

Find a good powder that gives you decent accuracy and then tweakk it by adjusting your COL.

JD338

Savage Fanatic,

You're definately on the right track.....Varget is a great powder for wide temperature extremes as well, which should give close to the same results year round.

Definately always start low and work up..... Change only one perameter at a time. If you find you're almost to the results you want, but not quite, keep that load and switch primers.

They all act differently from one gun to the next.... :grin:
300RUM004.jpg

Powerstroke":vmt6hwbp said:
Savage Fanatic,

Definately always start low and work up..... Change only one perameter at a time. If you find you're almost to the results you want, but not quite, keep that load and switch primers.

Good Point made by Powerstroke!

The load above shot right around .5" with the Federal Gm210M primers. I switched to CCI BR2 (because I ran out of the Federal) and broke .4".

JD338

Powerstroke":3h9qjtsl said:
Definately always start low and work up..... Change only one parameter at a time. If you find you're almost to the results you want, but not quite, keep that load and switch primers.

In such a scenario, what primer would one switch to? Or would it just be "a shot in the dark" :?

Ive been using H380 with good results. Thinking about switching to IMR 8208 if i could find it any place.

200 yard group with H380 Below
HPIM0351.jpg

600 yard group
600yardGroup.jpg

Federal Gold Match is my go to primer. I ran out so I tried the CCI BR2 with great success.
I would say Federal, CCI, Winchester, Remington would be my picks. I have used them all and had good success with all of them.

JD338

Short of my Magnum Calibers, I use CCI BR's in all the rest. I have also used the Remington Match primers with good results.

Same here, CCI 250 for all magnums and charges over 55gr's and BR2's for all the rest. I am not sure if there is much difference, but they have worked pretty well and been accurate for me. Scotty

mladucer

Nice shooting!
What rifle and bullet are you shooting?

JD338

Back