22-250 Range results= Needs work!

ScreaminEagle

Handloader
Jan 20, 2011
Well as most of you know I got a new rem 700 sps varmint in 22-250. I mounted a vortex viper 6.5-20x44 on talley lighweight mounts. I also added a timney trigger set at 1.5lbs because, let's face it, the remington xmark trigger is garbage! Well I already had a few hundred rounds loaded up for my other gun so I figured I'd shoot them till the barrel was broke in. I shot them for groups through my chrono and here are the results:

Average Speed 3419fps
Extreme Spread 95.4fps
Standard Deviation 0.88%

Not to bad but this gun really does not like 38gr of H380 and 55gr Hornady v-max. Just check out the group at 100yds! Oh well, on to load development.

Attachments

• 100_0929.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,520
I have made up some loads for the new gun using new win brass, cci lr primers, and 52gr sierra hpbt seated .010 from the lands to start. they are:

38gr. H414
34.5gr. Varget
38gr. H380
34.5gr. IMR 4064
35gr. IMR 4320
33gr. IMR 3031

Thanks I'm hoping I can figure something out with the powders I have now. I've never seen a load shoot this bad when it was good in another rifle.

ScreaminEagle":3mh9nw8v said:
DrMike":3mh9nw8v said:
Just check out the group at 100yds!

Patterning?

Yeah looks like buckshot doesn't it? Any helpfull advice Dr.Mike? I just can't believe that the load was that bad.

I was thinking a load of #4 buck. :grin:

I have had good performance with Varget and RL 15 in my 22-250.

22-250Rem50grBT398.jpg

22-250Rem55grBT471.jpg

JD338

Varget and RL15 are staples for my 22-250. Looking forward to doing some load work with the new one, but I will most probably start with those powders and maybe the new Hodgdon Superformance! Scotty

Thanks guys. Hopefully I can find a good load with all the powders I'm gonna test. I'm also gonna try different primers. I have federal 210 primers and would also like to try cci br2's.

How far are you guys seating from the lands?

Also the factory synthetic stock leaves a lot to be desired. I can't torque the screws down to the right specs without the bolt being hard to work. I have a stock from richards on the way that I plan on fully bedding. maybe it will settle down after that.

I gotta tell you guys I'm very unhappy with remington's standards. I have older 700's that are beautifully crafted, but this one is something else. The bolt felt like it had sand in it, junk trigger, junk stock. So far I polished the bolt, installed timney trigger and ordered a new stock. maybe I can turn it into a nice gun. It's just to bad that remington has to resort to building crappy guns cheap to make tons of money. Whatever happened to taking pride in your work?

36 g varget is the ticket in mine either shooting 50 or 55gr. btips or bergers or matchkings i use either benchrest primers from cci or fed 210. the 3031 is too temp sensitive

If you can find any of the old R12, it gave the best results of any powder I have tried in my Ruger #1 heavy barrel with 50 to 55 grain bullets. My second choice is Vit 135.

My 22-250 is the one round that will never be vacant within my safe - it's the one round
that I could potentially do everything with.

M700 Varmiter BDL - early 80's flavor. Have shot tons of 52gr SMK's and now 55gr B-Tips and B-kings.

Attachments

• P1010210.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 1,459
ScreaminEagle":2n0o3qgl said:
Thanks guys. Hopefully I can find a good load with all the powders I'm gonna test. I'm also gonna try different primers. I have federal 210 primers and would also like to try cci br2's.

How far are you guys seating from the lands?

Also the factory synthetic stock leaves a lot to be desired. I can't torque the screws down to the right specs without the bolt being hard to work. I have a stock from richards on the way that I plan on fully bedding. maybe it will settle down after that.

I gotta tell you guys I'm very unhappy with remington's standards. I have older 700's that are beautifully crafted, but this one is something else. The bolt felt like it had sand in it, junk trigger, junk stock. So far I polished the bolt, installed timney trigger and ordered a new stock. maybe I can turn it into a nice gun. It's just to bad that remington has to resort to building crappy guns cheap to make tons of money. Whatever happened to taking pride in your work?

Don't feel too bad, I bought a M700 CDL that wouldn't keep THREE shots within 12" of one another. It was a brand new rifle with Leupold bases/rings and a VX3 so I don't think it was the fault of the optics/mounts. After bedding and pillars it settled down, but was still not up to speed as far as I was concerned. After taking the stock off, I really was disappointed. Looked like a blind man did the inletting. Scotty

Your right Mike. Bad example. I think kids with screw drivers could probably do better! I do like the lines and overall build of a CDL, just not how they are put together is all. Plus, I am not a huge fan of the X-Mark trigger. Scotty

beretzs":39ura22i said:
Your right Mike. Bad example. I think kids with screw drivers could probably do better! I do like the lines and overall build of a CDL, just not how they are put together is all. Plus, I am not a huge fan of the X-Mark trigger. Scotty

Yeah I don't know what the deal is with remington, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with the almighty dollar. I took the recoil pad off of mine and the hollow stock was packed with styrofoam packing I guess to keep the vibration down! Complete JUNK!!!

Thanks for all your input. I'm sure I can make it a good shooting rifle. I'll keep you posted.

Before I let my ruger 22-250 go,I had good luck with Ramshot Big Game and also IMR4350 with 55gr. Nosler Bt.

Back