22-250 Rem

JD,

I finally got some time to go out and take my 22-250 as well. As some of the other threads have been titled... this is the one gun I'll never get rid of. As always stated however, 3 shots tests the gun, 5 shots tests the shooter as one of these groups shows.... :lol:
300RUM004.jpg

300RUM003.jpg

Powerstroke

Nicely done my friend! What is the overall length of the 55 gr Blitz King bullet? Also, how big are the exits on a coyote?

JD338

JD,

OAL is 2.4360.... That was out of a batch I loaded in 2001. It really depends on exit holes, but I generally don't see any.... however ... when you take-em " head " on under 100yds.....it's a mess.......I've got a pic posted somewhere in here of it...

Thanks by the way !!

Powerstroke

What is the length of the bullet itself? I wanted to compare it to the length of the 55 gr BT which is 0.808".

JD338

JD,
I come up with .8275
I can tell you that both the B-tip and B-King shoot equally as well.
" " IMO " " I think the B-king is a lighter construction bullet and more explosive.

JD338":2tyucz25 said:
Went to the range today to check my zero with the 50 gr BT in my M700 VLS 22-250 Rem. Here is what I shot-
22-250Rem50grBT398.jpg

I also tried another load with the 55 gr BT, looks like a shotgun pattern. My rifle just doesn't like the 55 gr BT's with its 1:14 twist so I guess I am stuck with the 50 gr BT's.
I went out late this afternoon for a quick set on coyotes. On top of a bluff, I saw a coyote 300 yds out on the move. I called and in he came. He cleared the Russian Olives at 125 yds and I sent a 50 gr BT on the point of his shoulder. He spun around and ran a tight circle before heading into the thick stuff. I game him 30 minutes and went to find him. I confirmed a hit with hair and blood on the snow and followed him into the thicket.
After a quick look I decided to go back tomorrow morning with daylight since there wasn't much of a blood trail.
This is why I wanted to get a heavier bullet to shoot so I can get an exit wound 100% of the time.
I'll let you guys know the results tomorrow.

JD338

what is your seating depth i have the same rifle as you

JD338 I have a old Rem 700 varmint special that will shoot the 55gr ballistic tip very well. I have seen good results out of my rifle with IMR3031 & very good results with H380.
I tried Varget with the HDY 55gr VMAX & did not have very good groups with that bullet & powder combination. I also tried the 55gr SRA BlitzKing with H380. The results were better with it that the VMAX but not as good with as the Ballistic Tip.
My point is that even though your rifle did not shoot the 55gr Nosler well, it might like a 55gr bullet from another manufacturer.

mladucer

Welcome to the forum.

My COL is 2.428"

JD338

hvy barrel

I actually found a good load with the 55 gr BT, 35.0 grs RL 15. Accuracy is in the .4's.

JD338

thanks i was still using the factory settings getting ok accuarcy with my gun just wanted more out of it.

mladucer

Seat your bullets out, you will get better accuracy than what the factory OAL is.

JD338

POP,
Thanks ! My 22-250 is my AMEX.. I don't leave home without it... it's the one I'll never do without.

mladucer,

Welcome to the forum !

As JD stated start playing with your seating depth. Find the lands and back the bullet off .015in or so to start. You'll see a difference... obviously hopefully better...
The 55gr B-tips shoot in the same place as the 55gr B-Kings so I can interchange between the two. This is the only rifle I've ever been able to do that with however.....

Beautiful group JD. MY Tikka T3 Lite .22-250 likes 55 gr. & will clover leaf 3 touching at 100 yards. Each gun to it's own I guess. :grin:

im glad to finally get on the forum had some trouble with my log in for a while but i set the oal to about 2.470 shoot pretty good about a half inch but i could play with it some more i got alot of time on my hands this semester. ill try to get some pictures up soon for you guys to see. by the way ive only been reloading for about 6 month i have alot to learn. love the wealth of knowledge on this site.
H380 39g
2.470 oal
br2 primers
Nosler 50 gr bt

JD, sorry I have waited so long to post but I was really fascinated with the good shooting and load data. First, outstanding shooting indeed. Second, I really like the load work shared. Third, I am trying to find some real good loads for various task for my grandson and his 22-250. Really good stuff on this tread. Thanks guys, it will be helpful.

mladucer

I'm sure you will have a few questions, don't hesitate to ask away here.
There is a lot of talent here and everyone is eager to help.
Thanks for joining us, we are glad you are here.
Looking forward to the pictures!

JD338

here are the pictures i was talking about. one from 100 yards and one from 200 yards

100yards
HPIM0348.jpg

200 yards
HPIM0351.jpg

Very nice groups I forgot to mention that in my .22-250 Tikka I use Win. brass, 55 gr. Horn V max bullet, Fed. GM Match 210 primers & 36.0 gr. Varget powder. Real nice load in my gun :grin:

Back