22 Nosler case issues

hogginlong":2062ew3l said:
lapriester":2062ew3l said:
Well, I took a look at the 750 cases I bought that I've been having issues with. Guess what? They are all beveled. So no solution there. So, until someone decides to make quality cases for this caliber I'm stuck with downloading everything to mid range loads to prevent the brass damage. Too bad, since I was really hoping to get much better performance out of this than my 223 loads. Looks grim, at least for now. Guess I'm going to put this upper in the back of the safe with the 300 BO, that's somewhere back there, and perhaps sell them both. They would have been better off leaving the rim/head size the same as 6.8 SPC but, even so, the Nosler brass quality probably would have still sucked.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
Or,keep the upper,switch to a6.8 bolt,get some 6mm Hagar brass sized and have at it.

So, Hager brass necked down to 224 has the same dimensions as 22 Nosler brass (sans the rebated rim) and will work in the 22 Nosler chamber using a 6.8SPC bolt? That seems too simple if it's the case. I could just run the Hagar brass through the 22 Nosler sizing die using a 6.8SPC shell holder? God, if that's the case, as soon as this crappy 22 Nosler brass I have all goes south (which won't take long), That is definitely the route I'll take.

lapriester":29thfq93 said:
hogginlong":29thfq93 said:
lapriester":29thfq93 said:
Well, I took a look at the 750 cases I bought that I've been having issues with. Guess what? They are all beveled. So no solution there. So, until someone decides to make quality cases for this caliber I'm stuck with downloading everything to mid range loads to prevent the brass damage. Too bad, since I was really hoping to get much better performance out of this than my 223 loads. Looks grim, at least for now. Guess I'm going to put this upper in the back of the safe with the 300 BO, that's somewhere back there, and perhaps sell them both. They would have been better off leaving the rim/head size the same as 6.8 SPC but, even so, the Nosler brass quality probably would have still sucked.

Or,keep the upper,switch to a6.8 bolt,get some 6mm Hagar brass sized and have at it.

So, Hager brass necked down to 224 has the same dimensions as 22 Nosler brass (sans the rebated rim) and will work in the 22 Nosler chamber using a 6.8SPC bolt? That seems too simple if it's the case. I could just run the Hagar brass through the 22 Nosler sizing die using a 6.8SPC shell holder? God, if that's the case, as soon as this crappy 22 Nosler brass I have all goes south (which won't take long), That is definitely the route I'll take.
Yes,that's all there is to it. Hornady makes the Hagar brass. I bought 3 boxes and am working my way through one of them now,results are promising.

hogginlong":34ougf6u said:
lapriester":34ougf6u said:
hogginlong":34ougf6u said:
lapriester":34ougf6u said:

Yes,that's all there is to it. Hornady makes the Hagar brass. I bought 3 boxes and am working my way through one of them now,results are promising.
Thank you very much. I will definately try that once this crummy Nosler made brass goes away. Which, I suspect, won't take very long at all. I even have a spare 6.8 bolt and have a 6.8 shell holder because I have a couple of 6.8 uppers that I hunt with. LOL, Nosler better get their stuff together on this crummy brass or when this word gets out they'll have a lot to sell but no buyers interested. Serve em' right.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

little bit success after Rifle length buffer with 3-4 tungsten, Tubbs recoil spring, Gas turned way down, 2 different bolts picked one least damage brass then cut the ejector spring down few coils & extractor spring ground down little bit. One Piece Enhanced McFarland Style Replacement Gas Ring. 75g bthp 30.5g h380 slight pressure. Using 2nd revisions brass bought 9 months ago. Want to try 85 rdf rounds see if they use different brass on that new round. also I use cut magazine window

Wisc":2zi297nh said:
little bit success after Rifle length buffer with 3-4 tungsten, Tubbs recoil spring, Gas turned way down, 2 different bolts picked one least damage brass then cut the ejector spring down few coils & extractor spring ground down little bit. One Piece Enhanced McFarland Style Replacement Gas Ring. 75g bthp 30.5g h380 slight pressure. Using 2nd revisions brass bought 9 months ago. Want to try 85 rdf rounds see if they use different brass on that new round. also I use cut magazine window

If you have to go through all that to make a rifle run right and not destroy brass what's the point in having the POC. Seriously, this caliber really isn't much different than a good ol' 223 and certainly hasn't been worth the hassle I've been through to make it work. Oh wait, mine still hasn't quit destroying brass. Accurate for certain but, some things just aren't worth the problems. I just put together a 5/56 1-9 upper with a cheap 18" barrel, blem receivers, $60 handguards and a $69 BCG that shoots just as well at .6 MOA. Runs like a top and the brass looks great after firing.

When the HAGAR brass becomes more available I'll give that a try. For now this upper is residing in the safe. Or, when I get tired of looking at it, it will get sold.

Another thing I just found out is the Lee collet die for 223 should work on the 22 Nosler case. (if you shoot a bolt gun)

I took this POC 22 Nosler squirrel hunting recently with loads reduced. Shot lights out compared to my accurate 223's but, even at reduced loads, it's still ripping brass heads. Heavily swiped, rim bends and cuts. I lost about 20% of my brass because I was unable to file the damage enough for it to fit into my shell holders or priming tool. Right now, my loads are producing velocities not much greater than my 223 loads, so, unless something gets improved, all I have is an expensive 223 clone rifle that uses more powder for little gain. I tried running the gas block down until the rifle malfunctioned and even fired it single shot and it still damaged about 50% of the brass. What crap the Nosler brass is. And BTW, it isn't just my rifle. Two friends with me were shooting a 22 Nosler (I tried to talk them out of buying them before they did) and their rim damage was as bad as mine.

Please, someone start producing more 6mm Hagar brass so I can have a rifle that does chew up brass like this. I'm already down 50 cases from my initial purchase of 250 and most of the rest I've had to file to reload.

I've written to Nosler to no avail. Apparently afraid to admit they have a bad product, poorly tested.

The Hornady brass isn't without it's problems either. I can only get about 3 loadings before the primer pocket gets too loose. From what I've read it seems normal with all their brass though.

Found out my headspace was .008 filed down my receiver get the headspace down .004 < =. Haven't tested it out did try some fire formed rounds earlier 31g h380 75 bthp 50% of the rims were bent. Added even more tungsten weight up to 6 rifle buffer. Check your headspace

hogginlong":1p55rcrp said:
How do you file a receiver for headspace? Never heard of that.
same concept lapping tool for the receiver. Instead use file take off more material

I use Aero M4E1 uppers so that's not an option. I have just found though that during resizing the shoulders were being pushed back way too far. I adjusted the die for .004 and they seem to feed fine. That's not going to help the primer pockets though.

Back