22 Nosler case issues

Rocketvapor":14ibabj6 said:
This is what I got after 30 rounds of the 77gr factory ammo.

P1220286_zpszdidrci1.jpg

I blame this on the sharp square edge at the base.

22N-Base_zpsoxthwmlh.jpg

22NoslerCase_zpsnurwhl5s.jpg

Will try this for my next outing

P1220283_zpsuthpaut8.jpg

I'll bevel some new and reloaded rounds and keep a close eye on the bolt face.
How is the best way to bevel these?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I lightly chuck the case in a battery drill and use a piece of 320 grit, backed by a bar held by hand at exactly the correct angle :).
Then some finer grit to smooth the rim a little.
Stay away from the underside of the rim and don't reduce the Outside Diameter.
Doesn't seem like much effort when you do all kinds of case prep and checks anyway.
I have some 5th fired/6th reloads that are still good.

Rocketvapor":3ghzk550 said:
I lightly chuck the case in a battery drill and use a piece of 320 grit, backed by a bar held by hand at exactly the correct angle :).
Then some finer grit to smooth the rim a little.
Stay away from the underside of the rim and don't reduce the Outside Diameter.
Doesn't seem like much effort when you do all kinds of case prep and checks anyway.
I have some 5th fired/6th reloads that are still good.
Thanks this helps.

I've also got a BA barrel, but haven't shot it yet.
It's the 24" target crown. Just couldn't pass it up with a Cyber Monday $90 off plus a free upper (no BCG, no charging handle) and free shipping.
I use my 20" ARP upper for prone/sling, and will use the BA upper off a rest (4.5 pound barrel :) )
I was thinking of trying NOSGAR but I think you lose a little case capacity. Don't need gas for slow fire and the 22N case is doing OK now.

One word of caution, blending the bolt face edges, extractor edges, and removing the extractor O-ring and insert (I was still getting slip over marks on the outside of the rim), and NO-GAS eliminated all the issues with brass shaving, but it may NOT if you run semi.

If you have early brass with the sharp rim, complain to Nosler.
Didn't do me any good, they told me it was designed that way :)

Midway has the 100 count box of 22N brass on clearance.
(not the 250 count bag)
Price is $48.47 plus shipping. Might go lower :) Might not :(
For me, adding a $2.99 Free shipping item cut shipping costs a little.
Total, including a round up was $54.00

Maybe they will have another ammo clearance soon.

If you have early brass with the sharp rim, complain to Nosler.
Didn't do me any good, they told me it was designed that way :)[/quote]

If it was designed that way why did they change it later to the beveled edge?? I've only had the Nosgar to the range once for barrel break in but got a .62" group at 100 with 35 gr Btip lead free. Just need to get in some chrono time.

hogginlong":220v43di said:
Switching to 22 Nosgar with a Ballistic Advantage barrel.
OK, you have convinced me :)
With Christmas, family, weather, still haven't been able to shoot the BA barrel so I ordered some Hornady Hagar brass. Have to locate a 6.8 bolt.
I'll be able to shoot both ways.

Rocketvapor":37jonver said:
hogginlong":37jonver said:
Switching to 22 Nosgar with a Ballistic Advantage barrel.
OK, you have convinced me :)
With Christmas, family, weather, still haven't been able to shoot the BA barrel so I ordered some Hornady Hagar brass. Have to locate a 6.8 bolt.
I'll be able to shoot both ways.
Ok so I was told. The problems are not with the brass but from over gassing, and buffers that are to light. This is from the guys at nosler. Also my friend looked at my brass and came to the same conclusion. Take it for what that's worth. My friend is in the national guard.

Running a No-Gas upper I don't have brass problems now.
Sort of bored with being stuck in the house.
It's only money :)

Attachments

• 22N-at-rest.jpg
    22N-at-rest.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 2,800
Received some Hagar brass and ran a few through the sizing die.
Have to trim them about 0.030".
The Hagar brass is heavier (131gr vs 116gr) and holds a little less powder
(35gr CFE223 to 36.2gr carded to the top).
HagarTo22N.jpg

P1230450.jpg

Weight range for 150 cases was 129.2 Grains to 132.2 Grains
(corrected typo)
131.0 +/- 1.0 grains would capture 138 out of 150 cases.

Hagar-Weight.jpg

Resized 100 Hagar cases and have them ready to load.
Still haven't been able to get the 24" BA out to the range.
I have some 22N loaded with IMR4350 to try and determine a reasonable upper limit with the 80gr ELD loaded LONG at 2.460"

With the resized Hagar holding about a grain less powder, I'll load up a few to see how they do.
Looking at the published wwpowder data
77gr Nosler 31.9gr IMR4350 2969fps 51.9KPSI mag length
80gr Seirra 30.8gr IMR4350 2918fps 52.8KPSI long @ 2.460"
My guess is 31.0 to a MAX of 32.0 with the Nosler case,
Dropping a few tenths 31.0 to a MAX of 31.7 with the "smaller" NOSGAR case should be a good start.

Sound about right to you guys???

What is the deal with Nosler manufactured 22 Nosler brass? I'm finding that it self destructs loading it any higher than mid Nosler recommended loads. Horrible swipes, rim gouges and cuts making some of the brass useless after initial firing. No, it's not my rifle. Tried multiple BCG's, different buffers and bolts and tried multiple gas block adjustments. Very little difference. I have also found that you must chamfer the case neck literally to a sharp edge in order to prevent crushing the necks when seating flat based bullets. All the above indicates to me that the brass is unacceptably soft. I certainly hope that Nosler isn't going to hold a patent on this brass to prevent other manufacturers from making it. If so, this new caliber is dead right out of the gate. I have 750 rounds of this stuff but, hopefully it will last until a different manufacturer starts making higher quality brass. BTW, I'm definately not the only one experiencing this. Two other friends and several You Tube posts are saying the same thing.

Thats why I switched to the Nosgar version with a new BA barrel. Sold off the AR Stoner barrel. Now I have a shooter. What brand of barrel/upper are you shooting?

I'm shooting a xcaliber barrel adjustable gas block, 5 ounce buffer and david tubb flat wire buffer spring my problems have disappeared.

meanmike751":2gbjpow9 said:
I'm shooting a xcaliber barrel adjustable gas block, 5 ounce buffer and david tubb flat wire buffer spring my problems have disappeared.

7e97dadc6f48f728b0b730bdd87af910.jpg

I have a 2.4 oz buffer and my AGB is wide open. I can't run any light bullets but 55 and up work fine. Not sure why it's under gassed but I'll have to check things with the chrono when it warms up. Gas port in barrel is good. It cycles fine and drops brass at 4 oclock about 4 ft away.

Well, I took a look at the 750 cases I bought that I've been having issues with. Guess what? They are all beveled. So no solution there. So, until someone decides to make quality cases for this caliber I'm stuck with downloading everything to mid range loads to prevent the brass damage. Too bad, since I was really hoping to get much better performance out of this than my 223 loads. Looks grim, at least for now. Guess I'm going to put this upper in the back of the safe with the 300 BO, that's somewhere back there, and perhaps sell them both. They would have been better off leaving the rim/head size the same as 6.8 SPC but, even so, the Nosler brass quality probably would have still sucked.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

lapriester":tqd5ic9m said:
Well, I took a look at the 750 cases I bought that I've been having issues with. Guess what? They are all beveled. So no solution there. So, until someone decides to make quality cases for this caliber I'm stuck with downloading everything to mid range loads to prevent the brass damage. Too bad, since I was really hoping to get much better performance out of this than my 223 loads. Looks grim, at least for now. Guess I'm going to put this upper in the back of the safe with the 300 BO, that's somewhere back there, and perhaps sell them both. They would have been better off leaving the rim/head size the same as 6.8 SPC but, even so, the Nosler brass quality probably would have still sucked.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
Or,keep the upper,switch to a6.8 bolt,get some 6mm Hagar brass sized and have at it.

Maybe, unless Nosler keeps the brass a proprietary thing so no one else can make it, we can beg Starline to start making 22 Nosler brass. I just got some 6.5 Grendel brass from them that looks like high quality stuff. But, again, I haven't shot it yet so the jury is still out. Hell, haven't even got the Grendel upper together yet.

Back