220 swift: Loads

hardpan

Handloader
Apr 16, 2007
Hi everyone, It has been a few years since I was on the board. Lot of things have happened.
I received a 220 swift from my brother's estate when he passed a few weeks back. Bob was the best hunter that I knew, and started me big game hunting and also reloading. I am still cleaning and getting the rifle ready to shoot, but I cannot find his journal where he kept his reloading notes.I don't know how old the gun is, but I would like to ask your advice as to pet loads, and even bullets.
thanks and good to be back,
Hardpan

If I was building a .22 Centre Fire right now, the 220 Swift would get serious consideration. As to bullets, I should imagine that the purpose of your load will dictate bullet choice. If deer are on the agenda, then I should think the 64 grain Bonded Solid Base Bullet would get a serious look. Alternatively, the 60 grain Partition wouldn't be a bad choice. If you are seeking to drop varmints, you wouldn't go wrong with one of the Ballistic Tip Varmint or Ballistic Tip Lead Free bullets. For punching paper, any of the Custom Competition bullets should fit the bill. While we are always grieved to lose friends and family, it is wonderful that their estate often provides such wonderful memories through passing on their legacy.

50 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip
37 grs of H-4895 or 41.5 grs H-380 powder Both give 3950 fps from a 26" barrel.
whatever case and primer you can round up. Mine is Hornady Brass and Federal primer.
Neither load is particularly warm and not at max.

thanks for the advice. I tend to use this on varmits, and coyote.
Hardpan

I shot a ton of the old Federal Premium 55gr trophy Bonded bear Claw 55gr on mule deer and exotics. It was a great killer. Afriend of mine wused the 60gr Hornay exclusively.

IMR 4007ssc and a 50gr Vmax is working well in my swift. I believe this powder has been discontinued. When I run out I will probably go back to Varget or 4064 and the Vmax.

Back