220gr Sierra & 200gr Accubond - 8mm RM bullet & load test

I can see the 220 getting used a lot for elk. All of the elk I have killed over the years none have been at 25 yards so i would be good to go with the sierra 220's.

Bill

Bullet,
Have you maybe considered trying the 180 E-Tip in the 8-Mag? I'm thinking with the velocities the 8-Mag could generate the E-Tip maybe a good choice. I thought I saw today SPS had them pretty cheap. I think they were seconds.

Don

DON":30vjcut8 said:
Bullet,
Have you maybe considered trying the 180 E-Tip in the 8-Mag? I'm thinking with the velocities the 8-Mag could generate the E-Tip maybe a good choice.

Don

Yes I have for about 30 seconds and then said NO WAY. Been down that path on three different cartridges and rifles trying to get good velocities and accuracy on a consistent bases and had no luck. Just don't want to waste time and money. If I get the 200gr AccuBond shooting consistently under and inch I will go with it instead of the Sierra, just due to its construction and knowing it will not fail on me and wound an animal or me loose one when on a hunt that cost a lot.

Well, with a whole day thinking about how surprised and disappointed I was in the 220gr Sierra, I have decided that I can't afford to take a chance on one of my hunts. I know the construction of the AccuBond won't let me down, so only one thing to do and that is tweak my 200gr AccuBond load because it won't fail on me and my jug test this morning pretty much made that clear. I believe I can get a little more velocity and improve accuracy. The cheapest thing on a hunt is the bullet so why cut corners or take a chance.

Thank you for all the comments on this thread and the other 8mm Rem mag threads. Your encouragement, ideas and experience really help and are appreciated. Thanks for the impute.

P.S. I have one hundred 200gr AccuBond coming from Pro Shop blemished bullets. I have now 150 new Remington brass and ready to rock. Can't wait to get my load finished and then hunt with my Big 8 this fall and winter. Yes, Life is sometimes really cool.

Mike,

That's some awesome performance. What you need to do is beg Nosler for a 220 and 240 gr AB I know you will keep them in business. Good work!!

Bill,

That darn AccuBond is one tough bullet, when I shot the 6mm 90 gr into jugs outta my 6-284 it came out in one piece I loaded one more of those and ran it across the Chrony since it was too hot to use on a daily basis and she smoked through there at 3714!! For that thing to hold together and still penetrate 3 jugs was flat impressive that's one tough bullet that's all I'm gonna say!

DON":ayeurnjm said:
Bullet,
My friend, the water jug test doesn't lie, you just have to love with the AccuBond Bullets. What horse power the 8 mag has buddy. I know as you continue to work on the 200 AB load you will get her refined. :wink: Good report today.

Don

I was going to comment on your post but forgot to. I think you are absolutely correct on the fact that water jug test do not lie. Water does not compress so when you get penetration like the AccuBond and it still hold together, that is truly saying something. It is a power house indeed and yes, I will get the AccuBond tweaked and ready to hunt with.

nvbroncrider":2gz9jv8b said:
Mike,

That's some awesome performance. What you need to do is beg Nosler for a 220 and 240 gr AB I know you will keep them in business. Good work!!

Yes, I would be happy to keep them in business. :mrgreen:

Seeing these results, I doubt I would mess with the Sierra. I am sure it is a great bullet in some aspects, but I like the results you got with the 200 AB. That or the 200 PT would be my choices, looking at what came out of the jugs. No elk will hold onto them easily.

SJB358":50bz218l said:
Seeing these results, I doubt I would mess with the Sierra. I am sure it is a great bullet in some aspects, but I like the results you got with the 200 AB. That or the 200 PT would be my choices, looking at what came out of the jugs. No elk will hold onto them easily.

Yes, I agree, well said.

bullet":3frqroi2 said:
SJB358":3frqroi2 said:

Yes, I agree, well said.

I hope Nosler does a 220 for the 8mm's. I will get a 325 regardless, but the 220 would make it that much better in my eyes. It would have to be a good bullet ballistically. Even though Mike assures me, I wouldn't ever need more than the 200 PT! :twisted:

If Nosler ever releases a 220 grain PT, I will use it. The 200 serves me well, and I do have 220 grain A-Frames loaded for really heavy stuff. Nevertheless, I would use the 220 grain PT, and I have no doubt that for the critters I hunt, it would serve me very well.

OK Nosler,
Get to work and start making the 220 PT & AB available for the .323 boys. Ya just have to provide my buddy, Bullet with a 220 AB for his Mighty 8mm Mag. 8)

Don

DON":3bnd3l6a said:
OK Nosler,
Get to work and start making the 220 PT & AB available for the .323 boys. Ya just have to provide my buddy, Bullet with a 220 AB for his Mighty 8mm Mag. 8)

Don

I second whatever Don says!!!

I believe I will dig out this old Norma 227 grain bullets and see what they will do in my 325. I might be in for a pleasant surprise.

DrMike":2c991gxp said:
I believe I will dig out this old Norma 227 grain bullets and see what they will do in my 325. I might be in for a pleasant surprise.

Man, this will be a treat.. Get a picture if you can Mike!

I also have some .323 225 grain Speer Hot-Cor bullets that are waiting for me to do something with. I'll have to do a workup to see what is going on.

DON":2eq2ygne said:
OK Nosler,

Don

Don that cuts deep as Bullet is not the only one with a 8mm mag. I too want a 220 nosler bullet.

Bill

Oh, yeah, and if they don't come up with a 220 grain PT, I'll shortly be shooting Woodleigh 220s in my 325WSM. :shock: Nosler can't let that happen.

Back