.221 Fireball

Steve Ruchala

Beginner
Oct 25, 2004
I would like to get some reloading info for the 60 grain Partition for this round. I have a 18 inch contender barrel with a 1 in 12 twist. Where to start and where to end.

Thanks

I don't know about the 60gr either, most people shoot the 40gr with some shooting the 50gr. I do know that lil gun has quickly become the powder of choice. You might see the difference in grains of powder between the 40 and the 50 and then extrapolate to a 60. Then be sure to start on the very conservative side and work up a load from their using a chronograph. You might want to find out what velocities people are getting from a 18 in barrel. A good idea may be to buy some Nosler 50 gr cartridges and clock them to give you an idea of a max velocity.

You may find that the slow twist of that barrel combined with the low velocity will not fully stabilize those long bullets. Hornady could not get sufficient rifle accuracy with their 60-grain bullet in this caliber. At one time Speer offered data for their 70-grain bullet, but it was a shorter bullet and was easier to stabilize than the Nosler. I assume you want to hunt with the Partition, what are you planning to hunt? The cartridge has too little energy for deer, and for smaller game there are better bullets. Just wonderin'. :wink:

Back