.223 Rem. Coyote Bullet Suggestions?

BigBlue

Beginner
Dec 18, 2004
Anyone have a Nosler bullet suggestion for coyote hunting? I'm not sure which to use, the Ballistic Tip, or Varmint Ballistic Tip bullets. Eastern Coyotes run a bit bigger, here in PA. up to 60+ pounds. While I want quick expansion once they're in the critter, I don't want it to break up on a rib or shoulder bone.
Thanks,
Don

BB,

Go with the 50 gr or 55 gr BT, which ever one shoots the best in your rifle.
I am using the 50 gr BT in my 22-250. Shots through the ribs result in instant kills and dime siz exit wounds. Your 223 Rem is a solid 250 yd Coyote gun.

Good Luck.

JD338

I am dropping Coyotes out to 300+ yards with Nolser 55 gr. B-Tips (Using H335 Powder). Great Load, and not having any exit wounds.

I agree, go with at least the 50g or better yet, the 55g if it shoots well. I am shooting the 40g btip out of my swift at 4400fps. Yes I have shot about 4-5 coyotes with the bullet, but I have had some runners with a not so well placed shot. Lack of penetration is the issue here. The 50g and 55g bullets will hit lots harder. My favorite coyote load is the 55g btip pushed along by 38.5g IMR-4064 for a velocity of 3925fps. Absolutely dynamtime on yotes out to 600 yards, where as the 40g's are limited to about 300 yards.

Back