223 small pistol primers

hardcorehunter5

Beginner
Nov 19, 2011
I have been reloading 223 off and on again this month and have been cranking through a box of primers. Today I walked my bench and looked at the WSR box and the last two 100 packs of primers are marked small pistol primers. I am freaked out know, because I don't know if some of the other primers are loaded with small pistol primers or not. I have loaded about 600 rounds recently. As a side note I have never loaded or purchased small pistol primers and could not tell you how they got in the box. Either Winchester screwed up or when I bought them a year ago or so at Sportsmans warehouse someone messed with the package. I have fired rounds from the 1000 pack before, but not since I started loading again for it recently in the last few months. I know a WSP cant handle the same pressure as a WSR. Is there any way to tell the difference by looking at them once seated? The brass in crimped military that I have swaged and just in the last 100 = batch I noticed the hand priming tool was "eyelashing the primer." I thought perhaps the flash holes were off center, but maybe its due to the softer primer cup? Thoughts? Suggestions?

-Hardcore

We our dear leader was elected, I could not find primers for my .223. I was told that small pistol primers were a good substitute. I have loaded several hundred with no problems. If you are shooting for extreme accuracy the point of impact may be different.

No I was loading in commercial cases, not military and medium volume loads. I would have thought others here would have jumped in on this one. You might try giving Winchester, a call or note and see what they think.

I've used small rifle primers for loading the 357 magnum. Pretty mild loads, but the S&W didn't seem to care. Fired primers look the same as small pistol primers.

Back