.224 Caliber 60gr. Nosler Partition

Jim, there has got be something to get them to shoot in your rifle. I am going to load some more in mine shortly, and may grab some H380 just to experiment with them. Varget seems to work, but the speed is down at 3350 or so. I was hoping for mid 3500's... Don't know. I will seat them out further and see what happens. Scotty

beretzs":23g0vym9 said:
Jim, there has got be something to get them to shoot in your rifle. I am going to load some more in mine shortly, and may grab some H380 just to experiment with them. Varget seems to work, but the speed is down at 3350 or so. I was hoping for mid 3500's... Don't know. I will seat them out further and see what happens. Scotty

H380 is what I am going to try also.

3DHUSKER":2vudoi0d said:
beretzs":2vudoi0d said:

H380 is what I am going to try also.

Seems to me I tried H380 but I will follow your lead and give it a second try if you fellas have any luck with it.
The 224 60 gr PT is great for those "Inverted Texas Heart Shots" on coyotes. :mrgreen:

JD338

60gr Partition, 24" remington 788, WW brass, fed215m, 39.5gr H414, 2.357" oal, 3638fps, .550" 3 shot group recorded. MAX load in my rifle, work up with caution. Remington lists the 788 22-250 as a 1-14" but i can not say i have checked it. I do not shoot this load any longer, I had some issues with to fast of impact velocitys and the bullet appeared to explode the front section, then just pencil through. I now shoot the 64gr winchester power point with w760 and magnum primers at 3500fps.

While my brass is cleaning i took some time to measure the lengths of some of the bullets I have shot.

55 Grain Ballistic tip .80 long, Shot well out of my rifle.
55 Grain Solid base .73 long, (Discontinued) Shot well and was my old deer round. I have 1 box left. ):
60 Grain Partition .78 long, I hope this means i am going to get lucky.

baltz526":1r95hsvw said:
60gr Partition, 24" remington 788, WW brass, fed215m, 39.5gr H414, 2.357" oal, 3638fps, .550" 3 shot group recorded. MAX load in my rifle, work up with caution. Remington lists the 788 22-250 as a 1-14" but i can not say i have checked it. I do not shoot this load any longer, I had some issues with to fast of impact velocitys and the bullet appeared to explode the front section, then just pencil through. I now shoot the 64gr winchester power point with w760 and magnum primers at 3500fps.

That sounds like a great load. I might give that one a try. Sounds like a great one! That is fast! Scotty

Hello Everyone,

First and foremost thank you In advance for any time, info and help that you may offer to me. I have a 22-250 savage axis with a 1/12 twist. I am (for the first time) attempting to load my own ammo for deer hunting. I must say that I am honestly confused and am not sure where to really start. I have just been trying to gather as much info as I can on bullets size/type and the different powders that can be used. I first started with a larger grain bullet the hornaday a-max 70 but read that you really needed a 1/7-8 twist to be able to stabilize these bullets. After much more reading and scouring the web for more info I have come back to the nosler partitioned bullet. It seems to me like a very suitable round. I was told originally that the round was to small but as the forum and others like It prove people can and actually do kill deer with little to no problems. I am thinking of going with a load of something like this and would love to have as many opinions or variations If someone with possibly more experience than myself knew something better.

Nosler 60g Partition
H414 powder
Remmington 22-250 brass
cci small rifle magnum primers

now as far as how fast it will fly and all that I am really not sure I haven't been able to find a calc. that I can use. I'm as green as a new spring leaves when it comes to this so as I stated before any help would be much appreciated.

Shoot this 60 PT...... it will do anything you want to shooting deer. Use reloading data on the nosler site or on the Hodgen site. I use H380 just because I have Kegs of it. :) Varget will do fine also as well as H414. Shoot a few and see how they shoot.

3DHUSKER":ay0o67rg said:
Shoot this 60 PT...... it will do anything you want to shooting deer. Use reloading data on the nosler site or on the Hodgen site. I use H380 just because I have Kegs of it. :) Varget will do fine also as well as H414. Shoot a few and see how they shoot.

Hpw was the accuracy in the 1:14 twist?
What is your load?

JD338

JD338":3lnd850b said:
3DHUSKER":3lnd850b said:

Hpw was the accuracy in the 1:14 twist?
What is your load?

JD338

I believe it was 38 grains of H380 and it was pushing it as hard as I dare. It could have shot better but It really needs a faster twist. 1.5 at a 100.

I am in the process of building another one. It will be a 1 in 9 twist more than likely. maybe a 1 in 8.

I wonder if any one has shot them out of those barrels? Anyone.

Im not sure what the twist is in my 70s Model 700 22-250 but Im guessing its a 1-14" twist. I had decent groups the first time I shot Federal Premium 60gr PTs and killed a couple deer with it. But the last time I shot this load at the range I wasnt getting any groups smaller than 4". Id like to shoot more deer and antelope with it but Ill have to just stick with my 243 I guess.

I have not had good luck using IMR-4064 and 60gr NPs out of my 1 in 12" Encore barrel. Best groups were 1.5 - 1.75" out of the hotter loads. Light loads were giving me 2-4" groups. :shock: I have three sub-MOA loads with different varmnint bullets so I was expecting something better. I was still experimenting at that time with cartridge length and OAL out of this barrel when I worked up those loads. They were good enough for me to pack that rifle along for emergency use but I never did use it for whitetails.

Now that I understand reloading for break-open rifles better, I'm sure I can get those group sizes down. I've also found that Varget works exceptionally well with this barrel so I would switch from IMR-4064.

I have 30 rds of Barnes 53gr TSX loaded over Varget just waiting for me to try out. I feel that if I can get them to shoot well that I would be better served with them. As good as the NP is, I want to retain every bit of weight I can if I'm going to use this cartridge for deer. Hopefully the Barnes will work out. I don't plan on shooting deer with this gun but ya never know when you're going to drop a gun, forget a magazine, or find out your zeroed rifle isn't zeroed.

I've shot Speer's 70gr semi spitzer in my 1-12 Rem 700 223 at about 2900-fps muzzle. It's moa out to at least 200 yards. The sweet thing is they print exactly the same in elevation at 100/200 yards as the Nosler 50BT. Jim

Back