2400 in the .41 mag

irocbarry

Beginner
Sep 5, 2006
I shot some new loads today out of my Taurus Tracker .41mag, got good groupings for me, so I'm happy about that.

My question is whether or not having a lot of unburned powder is common for 2400?
I loaded from 14gr to 18gr, and all the way through the spectrum there was unburned powder in the cylinders, and the action.

R-P brass, CCI large pistol primer, Nosler sporting handgun bullet, light crimp

On a side note, what is everyones preffered bullet for hunting with the .41, I wish Nosler made the Partition in .41.

thanks in advance

I have never used the .41mag for hunting, though want one for that purpose some day. If I was to get one today I would use the Speer Gold Dot hollow point in 210 grains for deer, if my gun liked them.

I am a fan of the Gold Dots (sorry Nosler) . I shoot them in all my pistols including my .480Ruger for deer hunting.

I am now on my third 41 Magnum, and really like the cartridge.

You will find some unburned powder with 2400, to be sure. However, in some guns it is the best choice.

I used to have a 6 inch Smith and Wesson Model 57. It shot about the best with Blue Dot. I tried 296, H110, and 2400 and had left over unburned powder with all of them. (Especially at max loads with 296)

I currently own a Ruger Black Hawk with a 4 5/8 inch barrel and it simply shoots best with 2400, residue or not.

I just recently purchased a 10 inch Freedom Arms in 41 Magnum and it has a 10 inch barrel. Maybe that is the reason why, but I see little residue at all with H110 in this gun. (That is all I have tried, I just got it.)

I have shot about everything in the 41 Magnum: AL8, 800X, Unique, Red Dot, 2400, 296, H 110, Lil Gun, etc. I find 2400 is still a top choice for this caliber. I am trying H110 in the new gun just because so many other silhouette shooters use eith H 110 or N 110.

I am using H110 in a 12" .480Ruger and have unburned powder. Maybe 10" is the magic number? :wink:

I have hunted with 210 winchester hollow points and heavy hardcasts.

My favorite bullet was a 293 grain hardcast at 1275 out of a 4 5/8 inch blackhawk.

Now I have a titanium tracker and I carry Federal 250 castcore hunting loads in it. They are the biggest I have found that fit in the Taurus.

Okay, i won't worry about the unburnt powder then, if it seems to be normal.

I might have to try the XTP's or Gold Dots, sounds like they probably shoot about the same as the Noslers, and are easier to find around here.

Any chance Nosler is going to come out with a Partition HG for the .41?

I like the XTP, deep penetration & always good accuracy. Unburned powder is not uncommon w 2400. It works best run near max.

Back