Nickle 44 mag cases??

jtoews80

Handloader
May 19, 2007
Has anybody here reloaded nickle cases in a handgun round?? I've been loading for a 44 Henry Big Boy using Lee carbide dies, using a taper crimp from the seating die. Load I've been using is R-P case, 23.0 grns H110, Win lg mag Pistol Primer & 240grn Nosler JHP seated to 1.600"
I doubt that the dies would suffer much. I seen some 44 mag FC nickle cases cheap and having no experance with them thought I'd ask if there was a reason that they are cheaper. Your input is appreciated.

CC.

brass vs nickel?

no diff................................ 8)

Loaded thousands of pistol/revolver/rifle rounds without a problem. Some people will tell you that nickle brass will ruin dies and trimmers but that has not been my experience.Rick.

I use nickle cases as well. I load 250gn SWCs and 300gn Nosler sporting handgun. I actually think the nickle works in my dies better than plain brass, but that's my opinion.

I use Unique and 2400 powders.

Sometimes the nickel plating starts coming off, otherwise it seems fine. I use it from time to time but don't go out of my way to get or use the stuff.

FWIW, Guy

Guy Miner wrote
Sometimes the nickel plating starts coming off, otherwise it seems fine. I use it from time to time but don't go out of my way to get or use the stuff.
+1

I load for my 357 hand gun. I have both nickle and brass. The nickle does peel off and at that point I pitch the case. So.... that said the brass lasts longer. Nickle is a little stiffer to work in the die but, I haven't seen any damage to my dies. I also use RCBS carbide dies.

Old 7 +2.
I usually buy brass just because it's a little easier on my reloading arm. As nickel gets older, it seem get stiffer. I had some nickel that no one had loaded in 20+ years, and it really stiff sizing it. Overall, there isn't much difference, but I'd be careful switching between brass and nickel with max loads.

Back