.44 mag cartridge, loading an old friend

Guy Miner":t9fhktw8 said:
Fotis - have you tried any cast bullet loads through that fine .44 revolver?

just made some up 240 with 6 gr trail boss. 44 special loads for fun

FOTIS":uch2sjns said:
Guy Miner":uch2sjns said:
Fotis - have you tried any cast bullet loads through that fine .44 revolver?

just made some up 240 with 6 gr trail boss. 44 special loads for fun

That will be a fun load to shoot.

JD338

I seem to find an hour or so every few days, and load up another box of .44's, all with AA#9 and 240 gr cast at this point.

Cool. That little Lyman turret press I got from Fotis sure is a winner, as is the wonderful Lyman 55 powder measure. That thing throws Very Consistent powder charges!

The boxes of .44's are starting to stack up, and the number of empty cases is dwindling. I'll have to find another loading project soon... :mrgreen:

BTW - Moved my loading operation BACK inside the house (oldest son bought his own darned house and moved out, again) so it's much, much, much nicer than loading out in the garage!

Photos of the new loading/gun room to follow, once I get it finished up.

Guy

I've gotta try some reduced loads in my 44. Never done much with them. I do enjoy shooting my 44 though.

Scotty, somewhere around 9 - 10 grains of Unique and a 240 - 250 gr cast bullet works REALLY well in the .44 mag. Still gives good velocity, about 1000 - 1100 fps, and will put a hurt on anything it hits. But it's easier shooting than the 1400 fps max load stuff.

These AA#9 loads I'm building aren't exactly mild, but they're not max loads either. I usually get around 1250 fps from them.

Guy

I might try to grab some unique. I have a slew of 250 Beartooths.

I can't imagine too much slowing one of those down. They are some great Bullets.

Beartooth makes a great bullet! Used the 425's from my ol' .45/70 Marlin 1895.

These days I mostly rely on CPB (Cast Performance Bullets) if I want something more than what my local bullet casting buddy supplies... Have CPB bullets on hand for .44 mag, .45 Colt and .500 S&W. I don't just casually throw those downrange, like I do with bullets my buddy makes. Much more expensive!

Guy

Back