243 Win and 95gr BT

Woodycreek

Handloader
Aug 2, 2007
What powders would you guys suggest in a 243 with 95gr BTs? I have Varget, Retumbo, and 7828ssc. I was going to get some Hybrid 100V also. The rifle is a Rem 700 SPS V with 26" bbl.

Woody,

With what ya got there, I would try the Varget and I prob would not try that bullet with Retumbo or 7828 (slow stuff)

With that said, I have used to sucess in the .243 is: RL15, H4350 for bullets in the 70-85gr range and RL22 with 105's..

Rod

47 gr of imr 7828. Max load work up.....

I got 3150 fps and .75" from my 22" Savage 110. RL 25 also works.....

Thanks Guys! My current load with the .243 is 42gr of Varget with a 70gr BT going 3440 fps. It will shoot in the .3-.4 at 100 yards. I've been leaning toward using 7828 and with POPs 3150 fps with a 22 inch barrel :shock: Still would like to try some Hybrid 100V if i can find some around here. Just found brand new one pound can of RL-15 and half pound of RL-25 in the man cave!

Another new powder that is supposed to really shine in the .243 is R17. This may work better in the heavier range of bullets for the .243. Varget seems like a better choice than the really slow powders you mentioned like 7828.

In my 22" Ruger .243 I used H-4350 with 95gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips. Accuracy was excellent and I wish I could have found a varmint load that shot as well as the 95's did in that Ruger. Average muzzle velocity out of my 22" Ruger was 3071 FPS. I took a half dozen Whitetails at between 200 - 300 yards with that load and was not disappointed one bit.

Larry

Larrry, If your gun likes the heavier bullets and you need a good varmint bullet, you ought to give the 87 hornady v-max a try. With it's .400 bc and extreme accuracy way out there, I think it might make you very happy. I have found the 95 ballistic tip expands very little if at all on small vermin.

If you want to get some great velocity, consider Accurate MagPro. With a 24" test barrel, Accurate got 3500+ out of an 80gr hollowpoint (I think it was a Sierra, but don't quote me). I'm trying it in a variety of rounds with good results both in velocity and accuracy, but holding off on using it in my .243Win because it's a semi-auto.

I perfer IMR 7828ssc. The standard 7828 fills the case up too much before reaching max. Magpro has also performed well for me with the 95-100 grainers. Another new powder you might look for is Winchester 780. It's what they use in their factory loadings of 95gr BST's.

dubyam":jbzv493t said:
If you want to get some great velocity, consider Accurate MagPro. With a 24" test barrel, Accurate got 3500+ out of an 80gr hollowpoint (I think it was a Sierra, but don't quote me). I'm trying it in a variety of rounds with good results both in velocity and accuracy, but holding off on using it in my .243Win because it's a semi-auto.

Truth be known I do not have that particular Ruger .243 anylonger, but now have a different one, identical to the previous one except this is an older one with a 1 in 10" twist while the previous one had a 1 in 9" twist.

So far I have been shooting 70gr. Nosler Ballsitic Tips in the form of Federal Premium Ammo through the one I currently have with good results. I haven't shot any of the 95's is this one as yet.

Larry

I would agree with POP. I used his load and have got a 2 inch pattern at 800 yards! Even though there wasnt very much energy at that distance :lol:

I use H-4831 SC with nosler 90 BT's and get great accuracy! 43.5 grains with the 90's I would try 39.5 and 40 as a start with those 95's. This powder is very consistant as it is an extreme powder and I shoot in all and any temps. I don't get blazing speed they run 2940 FPS but are very accurate. A great coyote load!

I would give it a try as you will get more fill% with it than varget and some of the other powders mentioned. Good luck.

Thanks again guys! Looks like i'll pick some IMR4350 and Magpro. By the time i'm done with load development with all of these powders, i should be ready for that 243 AI barrel from Hart or Shilen :lol:

Larry,

Its funny you mentioned that 70gr Bt Federal Premium Ammo. I shot that before i started reloading for the 243. It shot so good in the SPS V some guys thought it was reloads.

I know what you mean. I kind of wish I knew what Federal was loading so I could duplicate it with Handloads.

Actually at the present it really doesn't matter as I find out Wednesday when I go in for surgery so I may not be doing much shooting if any this summer. In 2003 I had an artificial hip put in and it has dislocated itself twice this week (4 times total in 11 months now). Plus I have a dozen or so boxes of the Federal Premium Ammo with the 70gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips on hand right now.

Larry

Back