243 Winchester and short barrel.....

I have an older Model 600 with the 18.5" (I think) barrel. I load the 95 gr CTBT's with a no-name scope on it. Shoots sub-.6" groups. Load info is in the pic.

Good ol 95 grain BTs! Darned bullet everyone seems to avoid in the 243 but produces so well...

I use 95 gr BT's and IMR 4350 in my friend's daughter's 16" ruger compact.

jagermeister":5vwcwrah said:
I have no experience with this caliber, at all.
Would you recommend it as a dependable and accurate round ?

I don't have any experience with it all all, except for wanting one in my safe, however I have watched quite a bit of these guys...

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDartman76

"The Neighbour" uses a .243 at quite long ranges, so i would say it's dependable and accurate.

I think it's a great cartridge, I picked up this Tikka T3 in .243 Win with 22.5" barrel 2 days ago, and I'm just itching to get her out for some range time :)

I'm going to try the partitions, and hornady interlocks as well as some other bullets.

My grandson well be shooting this rifle in about 10 yrs :shock: (y)

Lou

We have 5 243s that are in our group of friends. Mine is a Sako 85 with a 20.25" barrel and 1 - 10" twist. It does shoot the 100gn PT better then I do. The 85 - 95gn shoots just as well also. Sub 1" groups with RL17. I'm going to try RL23 soon. I have a couple of pounds on thier way here.

Teknys":19fi6109 said:
It does shoot the 100gn PT better then I do.

Mine is a 1-10" twist as well, and hoping for the same results with the 100gr Partitions.

Lou

Thanks again Guys.....and 243 will be !
Going to order a 20" barrel with 1:10" twist rate.

One more question....what commercial round would you recommend for deer size game ?

Out of instinct, I'd go with the Winchester 95 grs. Silvertip....but I am sure you Guys have some direct experience...

(y)

Jagermeister,
I think you would be much happier with performance if you rolled your own ammo. It is not that difficult.
Keith

Wis65x55":12irtnfy said:
Jagermeister,
I think you would be much happier with performance if you rolled your own ammo. It is not that difficult.
Keith

I know Keith and I agree with you (y)

However, this will be my hunting Partner's rifle and He wants to start off with factory ammo's, as he probably does not plan to shoot much and he's not interested in reloading.

So, for the moment, no handloading....
If it was me.....no doubts !
:wink:

...for factory ammo, I'd start w/ the 95gr. Fusions. The Fusion ammo has been consistently accurate in a number of rifles/ calibers for me, including .25-06, .270, 7mm RM, & .300WSM & has excellent terminal ballistics...

Lots of good factory ammo out there for the .243 :) ..Nosler, Federal, Hornady, Winchester, Remington etc all have great loads for the .243, anything from 80grs -100grs is great for Deer, I love the .243 win myself, it's a dual purpose rifle, from varmints to medium sized game. I'm loading up some 95gr BT's and 90gr Accubonds for mine.

Pick one that shoots the best, and it well kill Deer, Mule Deer and Caribou snot dead!

Lou (y)

Back