243 wssm good or bad

rkymt hunter

Beginner
Jan 29, 2006
got a browning 243 wssm and hand load all loads have ok groups just under 1" seems people not taking to wssm just asking why, :grin: if you don't have 1 or shoot one please don't reply thanks

Well, from what I can see, the 243 WSSM and the 25WSSM might be ok. BUT, the 223 WSSM that I owned was a total piece of crap!!

I bought a Winchester Model 70 Super Shadow Super Short that never would shoot work a damn! It was a neat little gun, light, handy, fed well, was all black, just what I wanted for a coyote gun. However, from the git go, that darned gun would not shoot for beans. It was fast as hell, but accuracy was a sometimes thing. Loads that might shoot a 1 or 2 inch group one time might not even hit the target frame a few minutes later.

I sold it to a guy after telling him of my frustration with it. He messed with a while then sent it back to Winchester. They sent him a whole new rifle. He only kept it about 2 weeks, it would not hit a pickup reliably. They sent him yet another rifle. It was only marginally better. He wound up screwing the barrel off, installing a custom barrel and making it into a 243 WSSM. The darned thing shoots great now!

Winchester really shot themselves in the foot with those stupid chrome lined barrels that must have been made in China. No wonder they are going bankrupt.

thanks for the input i was just thinking about a browning 223 wssm or a winchester coyote lite in a 22-250 i think you just answered that thanks

My father's shoots great. Pretty close to 1/4 inch at 100. It is the cheap super shadow. Great gun, but it doesn't do great with factories, as other shortmags I have shot. I think it may be due to the factory trying to squeeze out velocity at the expense of accuracy.

I have just purchased a243wssm,Win super shadow stainless.I have only shot it afew times with factory 1.5 in at 100yrds.If i can get load data form Nosler for this I think it will do better.Have adjusted trigger,torque on action screws.I need to reload for it now.will advise when I have data how accurate it will shoot :) :) :) :) :) :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :)

I am working on some nosler loads, but so far all We have shot well was a Sierra bullet. The load was 46.5g of w760 behind 85g Sierra BTHP gameking. That is the bullet that sierra recomends for deer over the 100g. Tougher construction of the jacket. We are currently working on some stuff with the 95g Nos BT but I don't have the data with me. I emailed the company on MagPro and they sent me some load data that was very fast with 100g.

Stay away from the Hornady data on this one. They done their work-up with the cartrigue before it was finalized and made their brass from 300WSM. The data is slow and so far most of it was inaccurate. Sierra has data to add to their book but you have to request it and they mail it.

like most models I think it's all in the brand of gun and you're confidence in it. I have a 243 WSSM Browning Abolt with varmit barrel. I use it for coyote. I've had great luck with Nosler 55gr BT. I also ranged out some Hornady 58gr vmax. I haven't used them in the field yet (just like the Nosler BT) but they shot great at the range.
I say "brand of gun" because I used to have a 70mmWSM Winchester model 7. I thought it was crap. I sold and bought a browning and love it!

I can't speak for the .243 but I have a .223 wssm and a .300 wsm.

I'm having difficulties with the .223 wssm. Like R Flowers stated above, I'll get a marginal group (1.5" to 2") one minute and I'm all over the target the next. That's out of a Winchester Model 70 Coyote.

On the other hand, my A-bolt stainless stalker in .300 wsm is a tack driver out of the box and shoots anything I load it with accurately.

I'm looking for input on the .223 loads; anyone have a good one? I'm also thinking about accurizing the Coyote.

A friend of mine has an A-bolt stainless stalker in .270 wsm and loves it. I've only heard good things about the Browning rifles. Good luck.

I have a mod 70 sss in 243 wssm,have just fired a group with it under .75in. Try h4831 44.0 grns with Hornady 100grn btsp

85g Sierra BTHP with 46.6g of w760

That is the most accurate load we have found. I am sorry we still do not have a really good load with Noslers and are in the middle of some other development right now. No real need for it as this load has shot Extremely well inside a quarter inch on some groups.

It's sure nice to see someone have good experiances with their 243wssm. My wife bought one and I've come closer to wrapping this thing around a tree than any gun I've ever dealt with. I'll try the load with the 760 and see if anything has changed. Oh by the way, It's a Browning Micro hunter.

HWd

I have got a 243wssm ar15 with factory ammo shoots about 1" groups. I was waiting to get reloading Data form Nosler now I can reload and really see what it will do.
No feed probles just a great shooter so far.
Bill

I have got a 243wssm ar15 with factory ammo shoots about 1" groups. I was waiting to get reloading Data form Nosler now I can reload and really see what it will do.
No feed problems just a great shooter so far.
Bill

wisraeljr":1zywohlc said:
No feed probles just a great shooter so far.
Bill

who made your 243 wssm ar15? Olympic arms?

Back