243 WSSM ?

huntswithdogs

Beginner
Jan 28, 2005
I've been on a few different forums and have wondered about the lack of info. or input on the 243wssm. Has everyone found these to be as bad as the one my wife bought?

Her rifle is one of the Browning Micro Medallions. We put a 3x9 Nikon on it with good bases and rings. Accuarcy is no less than 2" no matter what. It's been sent back to Browning once and they said it was Okay. I've tried a larger number of bullets and different powders. The only load that shot well,down to about an inch, was a 100 gr Hornady RN. Unfortunately it wouldn't load from the magazine.

I was shooting it one weekend at the range and one of the guys who shoots benchrest matches regularly, asked to shoot it. After three shots, he just shook his head and stated that it was all that some of his crowd said. "A mistake on Winchester's part".

If any of you guys can give me a heads up on this, please do. Beings as how this is THE WIFE'S RIfle, I'd really like her to be able to shoot it well and feel confident with it. Granted, it's minute of deer now,but it pisses her off when she can shoot my old 243win and shoot one hole groups. She expects more from this one than I think she'll get, but I'm not gonna be the one to tell her.....YET!

Thanks for reading and any comments or thoughts
HWD

When there's an accuracy problem here's my check list.
1. Check the stock.
A. Is the barrel free floated.
B. Are the action screws properly tightened
C. Consider pressure bedding the barrel/foreend.

2. Check the crown.
A. Even if it looks ok consider having a gunsmith touch it up.

3. Try a different scope that's been a proven shooter.

That's my quick check list off the top of my head. And you don't necessarilly have to go in that order, as a matter of fact go easiest/cheapest to the more difficult solutions. I hope that helps.

Done any accurizing? Since I'm pretty new to the board, I'm not sure what your reloading experience is. If I'm preaching to the choir, please let me know.

Oh, are you trimming the cases to a uniform length?

Here's how I accurize:

After all my case preparation (de-burr flash holes, trimming, etc.) I look at the powder charges. If the hottest charge were, say, 100 grains of powder, and the lowest was 90 grains, I'd fill 5 cases with 98 grains, 5 with 96, 5 with 94, 5 with 92 and 5 with 90 grains of powder. Use the same bullet on all (preferrably the Partition).

Load 'em up, take em to the range and fire each group at a different target.

One of those groups will be better than the others. Stick with that charge and use it in the next step.

To further accurize, determine the distance from the bolt face to the lands using an OAL guage and a modified case (with a bullet). Subtract 15/1000ths from that and begin loading a group of 5 cartridges. Then back off another 5/1000ths and load another 5 cartridges to that lenth. Then another 5 until you have 5 groups of 5.

One of these 5 groups is BOUND to give you some sweet, sweet groups.

If not, start all over and vary the bullet or powder.

Nosler2,

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately,all the things that you suggested HAVE been tryed to no avail. The trigger on this rifle is fantastic, in my opinion,so that's another kicked to the curb! It may just be a Monday or Friday gun.

Tapehoser,
Thanks for your answer also. Yeah,you're kinda preaching to the choir,as I've been doing this(reloading) for around 20 years,but sometimes even the choir misses the point of the sermon(Ha HA!). Your suggestions have been done. I keep VERY precise records when reloading. The listings on this one start with whatever bullet and then slowly worked up with one powder til I got to the top, and then started on another powder. A slow process but generally effective.Just not so in this case.

Thanks a bunch guys, I'm gonna keep trying!

HWD

[>>>The only load that shot well,down to about an inch, was a 100 gr >>>Hornady RN. Unfortunately it wouldn't load from the magazine.

Could that rifle have an overly long throat or amount of "freebore".......?

Lee Carkenord

I've been watching the WSSM cases because I'd like a 6.5WSSM improved to get 2950-3000 fps with 140s in a Short Action Savage. I think the problem is the thick neck brass not sealing. Try hotter loads or faster powders for more chamber pressure, maybe even annealing the necks. Here's a great thread that I found the other day, it explains more than I could. http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthr ... light=wssm

I'm going to watch the BR guy's for a while and copy what works for them when I ream my chamber next year. I'm thinking a combination of annealing and thinner neck brass might do it. Check out post #12 also.

I don't have lots of experience yet. I do have 50 rounds loaded up to try this weekend. I did sight my new model 70 in last weekend to make sure factory ammo would be ready for deer hunting. Winchester silver box 100 grain WSSM load put 5 shots into an inch at 100 yards and one was a called flyer. I know the Nosler 95BTs and 100 Parts I have loaded up should equal or better this load as they do easily in my Ruger .243 Win.

I did a lot of research on the 243WSSM before I purchased mine. Not a lot of data as lots of doubt it would better the .243 Winchester enough to warrant a following. I like the 6 pound carry weight of the Model 70 and lack of recoil. I have read lots of horror stories on the Brownings. Tried too fast to get them out and didn't pay attention to minor details in magazine, ramp, and chamber.

I will be checking my chamber size and neck thickness in greater detail when my lot of brass comes in. The 243wssm brass is very thick in the neck and may need to be turned.

Good luck with your project.

Steve 8)

From what the bench rest fraternity is saying, the problem therein lies with the short mag cartrige cases. The intent of a more efficient cartrige is a great idea. That is what in part made the PPC cartriges what they are today. The other thing to remember is the TIR(total internal runout, which is a measure of concentricity vs. length) of the shorter round(SAUM,WSM, and WSSM) will be magnified compared to their longer counterparts, unless undaunting quality control standards are applied. The cases have proven very efficient like the PPC cases, but how many manufacturers mass produce the PPC case? I believe there is just one...Norma. I do have a model 70 in 25 WSSM, and it shoots OK, but not to the standards of the rest of my battery, and it has been tricked out. Untill we can get a benchrest quality case, like the Remington 308 benchrest case, It might help to sort brass by weight, and then if if you have a device like the case master from RCBS to measure TIR, sort them by measurements from that.

Took out the H4831 and boxes of Nosler and Sierra bullets. Loaded up 45-47 grains in .5 grain increments under 95bts and 100 Sierras. Took to the range and shot 3 shot groups at 100 yards. I was shakey, hurried, and pressured. Did not have a good relaxed session as had 60 minutes to fire 50 shots, then clean up to head to work.

45 grain loads printed nice symetrical groups of about 1-1.25 inches. Both bullets spaced nearly the same, but different impact points about 2" appart. Tried 45.5 then 46.0. Worked my way to 47.0. Did not load up more as had 50 rounds in the 50 round box. Groups got smaller as load went hotter. 47.0 groups could be covered with a dime. Shot 2 more of the 46.5 and 47.0 loads. (2 of each load with each bullet) 8 shots in about 2 minutes. All within 1/4" of each other on the paper.

Went home wednesday night, resized 50 more brass, trimmed, processed, and loaded with 100 grain partitions. Got done about 1 a.m. Up at 4 to go to work. Left to go hunting at 3p.m. Took a target to test the Partitions. Didn't get a chance to shoot them.

Friday morning we are scouting in area we are going to hunt. Land owner was having coyote probs. Big male popped up about 600 yards out (583 per range finder). Land owner said to shoot it. Buddy of mine jumped in the camper, pulled out the first gun in the rack, and came a runnin'. It was my 243 wssm. (we all have ammo carriers on the stocks). He looked down and realized it was my gun. Oh $hoot, where's it gonna hit. He hollers at me, how hot is the load. Where do I aim. Crosshairs level with top of head was the reply. He sighted over the truck and squeeze. Bang, and the coyote butt dropped. He dragged it about 20 steps, then took off in high gear. Hmmm. Partitions seem to shoot ok.

Saturday morning started out slow. Saw 4 coyotes that were shootable, but we were looking for mr. buck. Finally got my chance early afternoon. Group of deer came running at a fast trot straight toward the hill I was sitting on. Crossed about 50 yards below me. I tried to time it so I could get a good look at the heads. Not a good chance until they got really close. Jumped up too quick. Last doe had not passed. She blew really hard and stomped her feet. Front deer stopped about 150 yards away, but down hill. Scoped quickly and picked out horns. Nice fork about head taller than the does. Ready to jump the fence and into no-shooting land. Took a quick off hand head shot and MISSED... must have buzzed him though, as he spun about 3 times and stopped. I confirmed correct deer buy looking at the heads again, lowered the gun, checked again and again, then shot when clear. Hit high, but that partion when in, took out about a baseball size chunk of spine, the exited the far side. Deer just dropped like a rock.

Hope to sight that gun in now that I know it will shoot. Love that 243wssm and Nosler Partitions.

Steve :grin:

Boy did you strike a nerve with me . Here is my saga; I bought a Browning micro medalion for my daughter and absolutely love the feel and handling BUT, and its a big but . When I first got it I tried winchester factory ammo 100 grain power points. I could not finish the box, way to much pressure, primers either totally flat or fell out of the pocket . So I loaded up some hand loads and started light . This case has virtually the same cappacity as the 243 win. so I tried some of my 243 win loads some were ok some too hot so basically I have no performance boost over the 243 win. but it feels so nice I kept going. I called Browning and found them to be not only worthless and arrogant and a**h*les but just plain rude. He told me they dont even discuss handloads and hung up on me. I called back later and got a girl who was friendly but only referred me to Winchester. they sent me a will call tag for the ammo and said theyd replace it ,thanks a little, I took it to a gun smith and had him look it over he sweetened up the trigger but couldnt really find any problems except the loading ramp is ground so feeding any ammo is imposible except single shpot by nursing it in. I took it with me to make my rounds and I was happy about hopw it shot crows six one day no misses. 75-100 yards I thought this little sweetheart shoots nice. I was wrong. I took it to the range and the first group was 1/2 inch the rest were 1.5-2.0" . So I start load development. I have been through over 40 differant loads and 6 differant bullets and about eight powders. I tried to trade it in once and the guy told me hed give me $300. for it with a luepold vx1 on it. it was a 4 month old gun in 100% condition so of course I kept it ,and kept looking for a load I called Hornady and none of the loads the gave me shot under 2'" I called Sierra and they said they dont publish data for the 243 wssm because its sh*t, thats a quote. But he would mail me a load to try. he also said that the 85 grain HP is a way more effective deer load than the 100 grain soft point. Everyone told me to go back to factory ammo so I called winchester again and they told me that some 243 wssm ammo had problems being to hot. He gave me a hand load to try it was 40.4gr of 760 and a 100 grain bullet . since this is suposed to the same as H414 I tried it using H414 the first group was 1/2" so I thought I finally had it, but the nxt three were 1.75-2". The next day I went back to the range and of 5 groups one was 1/2" the rest were 1.5-2" Thats the Readers Digest version . I have more time invested into this gun than all my others combined . I still havent decided if I'm going to keep it or not. On a side note I also have an A-bolt 270 WSM . and I love it, its my favorite gun.

Back