ofdscooby

Beginner
Nov 2, 2010
I love my .243 its a savage and I run 90 BT's out of it with 41.5 of H380. I use this as my main deer rifle here in SD (that's San Diego not South Dakota please hold you laughter) I put one in the dirt no problem with the 90 BT and was wondering if i could get away with an 80 and flatten things out a bit. Any thoughts or suggestions ?

I think that the 80 grain is still the varmit style, and the 90 and up are the hunting style with a bit tougher jacket. I would stick with what you are using. How does H380 treat you with that bullet anyways? I havn't tried it yet.

It was the first powder I ever used for my .243 and it worked great I'm sub one inch at a 100 yards with a bone stock rig.

The .243 cal 80 gr BT is a varmint bullet and not designed for big game. Stay with the 90 gr BT for deer hunting.

JD338

Agree, I'd stay with the 90 - 105 gr hunting bullets. Easily shoot flat enough for 300+ yards...

Sorry I didn't even pay attention to the fact that the 80's were the varmint bullets yeah I'll stick with the 90's my deer this year was ranged at 370 and it dropped like a rock. I love Noslers !!!!!

ofdscooby

Glad to hear the 90 gr BT is working well for you. :grin:
The 95 gr BT is another option for you if you want to tinker with your load. The slightly higher BC will help with wind drift at longer ranges.

JD338

Back