243win and 90 grain

Thanks Scotty, look forward to this site wish i had of joined long time ago.
once again sorry for my first ?? i sure never meant to offend anyone. Ronald

Ron:

You did not offend anyone. No need to apologize sir.

Enjoy the forum.

Thanks for all the info on the 243 win, i went back to the 70gr bt, little flatter shooting great for long coyote shot's. Just picked up a 7mm08 for my boy he wants to try whitetail this year. Thinking on 120gr bt what do you Scotty?

Ronald,

The 120 BT from a 7mm-08 will be great on WT. You made a great choice for your son. The only problem I can imagine is that Dad will want to borrow the rifle quite often.

Ronald Lake":3elq3j2s said:
Thanks for all the info on the 243 win, i went back to the 70gr bt, little flatter shooting great for long coyote shot's. Just picked up a 7mm08 for my boy he wants to try whitetail this year. Thinking on 120gr bt what do you Scotty?

120 BT with Varget or RL 19 works well. 3000-3100 fps. Have taken plenty of antelope bucks with that one.

Ronald Lake":38m6rgcp said:

Ron I wished I had bought my boy and wife a 7-08 or 260 when I had the chance. Both rounds are better for larger than deer shooting. I think that 120gr BT is a tough nut. Joel has excellent luck with his and I think some others have really tested thT bullet. I have a few bags of them to try. I would think it would be a dynamite deer smacker. Scotty

Ronald -
Let me also say welcome to the forum. I just started loading for the 243 caliber and found a fantastic load for the 70 BT using Varget (42 grains). Now that I have some 95 BT's and 100 PT's (thank you very much Scotty) to work up loads for, I can develop a good deer hunting load for the rifle.

I load for two 7mm08 rifles, and use the 120BT for my son's. He has taken 3 whitetail deer, with ranges from 40 yards to 220 yards. The bullet was in small pieces on the close shot, but the deer dropped in it's tracks. 43.5 grains of R15 goes around 3045 in his rifle and will shoot sub-moa for 3 shots. Varget has about the same burn rate as R15 so you may be able to kill to birds with one powder.

257 Ackley":2qpbi30y said:
Ronald -
Let me also say welcome to the forum. I just started loading for the 243 caliber and found a fantastic load for the 70 BT using Varget (42 grains). Now that I have some 95 BT's and 100 PT's (thank you very much Scotty) to work up loads for, I can develop a good deer hunting load for the rifle.

I load for two 7mm08 rifles, and use the 120BT for my son's. He has taken 3 whitetail deer, with ranges from 40 yards to 220 yards. The bullet was in small pieces on the close shot, but the deer dropped in it's tracks. 43.5 grains of R15 goes around 3045 in his rifle and will shoot sub-moa for 3 shots. Varget has about the same burn rate as R15 so you may be able to kill to birds with one powder.

No sweat buddy! Great to meet you. Hope they shoot as well for you as they do for me. I can't imagine they will be anything less than awesome though. Scotty

Ronald Lake":2cfjhg6c said:

Keep the BT's off the shoulder, They fail....

Not always boolit.

7mm-08 with 120 bt.
Impacted at over 3000 fps on a buck, shoulder shot. Found in one piece nicely expanded under far skin.

SV101529.jpg

SV101528-1.jpg

I think so. Many people discount the BT's due to the early production models. The 120 BT is a smaller version bullet of the 140 BT, jacket thickness and all. In my experience it does pretty well.

This is where i always end up: Hodgdon H414 90.9 44.0 2.85 3148 99.1 62667 12110 1.049 ! Near Maximum !

That is a great looking photo Fotis! The proof is in the picture for sure. I hope to see similar results in my wifes 7mm-08 this year with the same bullets.

I had a guy in Canada who shot a 6x6 Elk under 100 yards with a Sendero 300 RUM. 180 Ballistic tips at over 3300 fps. He nailed it through both shoulders, exited and is till going as far as we know. Impact was over 3200 fps on the shoulder.

awesome performance with the 120gr with 7mm08 thanks for info and pic's. What barrel length are you running on your 7mm08? i been playing with rl-15 , varget ,big game and h4895 i really had good result's with all the above, then of course i went a little beyond suggested max load with the varget, started to see some pressure sign's with 48.5gr. Backed off and got a 5/8" grouping with 46.2gr's. Still have all summer to play , little guy love's shooting his 7mm08. Doesnt want to play with 243win anymore maybe i will keep it for dog hunting for him. I really apperciate all the shared knowledge, Thanks for all the friendly word's and wisdom.

Great job on the6x6 bull elk with 300rum, Taking my uncle into the kawa valley this sept, he want's to try my 375h&h on a bull, Looking to load up for 300 to 400 yard shot. The lightest bullet i can find here is 260 AccuBond, not really flat enough at 2700fps? Would like it around 3000fps, something a little flatter for the old fella, :) i hope he doesn't read this, got any idea's who make a lighter bullet for the 375. Thank's

Ronald Lake,

How far up in Northwest AB are you? I've hunted in the Gordondale area and fished up around Rainbow Lake some. Consequently, Speer makes a 235 grain Hot-Cor bullet in 375 calibre and Hornady offers a 225 grain InterLock.

It was a Stevens 200 (Cheap version of the savage) with a 22 inch barrel. Tack driver!

I'm in Grande Prairie, Alberta. How was the hunting in Gordendale i bow hunted elk on blueberry mountain. Just south west of there a few year's ago. Seemed like alot of people where hunting there so i kind of stay around my honey hole's , south of GP . I had great luck out there over the year's..

Back