25-06, 115 BT's questions

elkeater2

Handloader
Jan 5, 2009
Did some load development with these, WW brass, CCI250 primers. 3.20" COAL as in Nosler data. Worked my way up with IMR4350, velocity wasn't there. Went to IMR 7828ssc, and narrowed in around 54.1 grains. That is in the middle of a node, loads up to 54.65 had only slightly more velocity, the 54.1's right at 3200 fps out of a 28" Encore. All loads from 54.1 up grouped to the same POI and would have been in one group of about 1 1/2". Individual groups were right at an inch, the 54.1 load a nice triangle.
This rifle has consistently grouped better with everything from lightweights up to 110 Accubonds. I'd like to tighten up if practical and possible. These bullets are touching the lands at 3.30, so I do have room to lengthen. I've got some Winchester standard primers I could use also. Advice? I don't want go crazy shooting up components chasing a quarter inch. EE2

Coming from someone who has burned up 25-06 components just for fun.......don't do it......especially right now. Every rifle is different but my 115's always shot the best right at 3.240, in both my rifles. I would certainly try to walk them out a little more. Watch those components though, we may be in this one for the long haul.

bmoore, I agree on the long haul. During the majority of my hunting experience I used a rifle successfully that didn't shoot quite as well or consistently as this one does already. I will try a depth change one at a time and see what happens. Thanks.

I get my best accuracy at .020" off the lands, which is about 3.200". I tried going closer and deeper, but that seemed to be the best spot. I started with Retumbo at about 3200 fps, but had a high SD, then tried IMR 7828ssc which gave good accuracy at about 3150 fps, finally settled on RL26 at around 3280 fps and excellent accuracy.

Try the WLR primer keeping everything else the same. It's a good primer in that cartridge. It shrunk my groups and ES in my 2506. Never cared for win primers, but an older guy I talked to swore they were the cats ass in a 2506. Every rifle is obviously different, but it's a cheap and easy way to see if itll shrink groups and ES. Worth a shot I think anyway.

I would also try a few at 5, 10, 15, and 20 off the lands to see if that will shrink the groups some. If you're at the lands already, I wouldnt advise jamming them...

remingtonman_25_06":306pvzap said:
Try the WLR primer keeping everything else the same. It's a good primer in that cartridge. It shrunk my groups and ES in my 2506. Never cared for win primers, but an older guy I talked to swore they were the cats ass in a 2506. Every rifle is obviously different, but it's a cheap and easy way to see if itll shrink groups and ES. Worth a shot I think anyway.

I found this to be true as well, that's all i use now in my 25.06.

Going to try a primer switch. Since I touch lands at 3.300", 20 thousandths off would put me at 3.280", correct? I'll put together a set of those and see if things change materially. Shoot 3 or 5 rounds? If my math is right, I am 100 thousandths off right now! EE2

I never tried CCI250's in my 25-06 rifle. Those are the magnum large rifle primers right?

Agree with the others, try the standard primers, maybe mess with the seating depth.

And... Ya, I'm thinking that my reloading components might have to last a long time.

Guy

Guy Miner":1eczai48 said:
I never tried CCI250's in my 25-06 rifle. Those are the magnum large rifle primers right?

Agree with the others, try the standard primers, maybe mess with the seating depth.

And... Ya, I'm thinking that my reloading components might have to last a long time.

Guy
What he said

Back