.25-06 do it all?

A question like that with no bourbon and campfire? :p You already know the answer... I'd do all you propose with my 257 Roberts albeit with bullets it likes.

I loved working with the 25-06 but the one rifle I had in that chambering is the only rifle I've owned that I could not make shoot accurately.

It surprised me just how hard hitting the 25-06 was. I was mainly using 117g BTSP Interlocks. If I end up with another one I'd be tempted to go 110g Accubonds for everything.

I've never shot an elk with my .25-06 Guy but I feel like it would be up to the job with the right bullets. A 115 grain Partition IS the right bullet. I too use the "Blue Cyclone" for most of my .25-06 hunting needs, so it's tough to switch but as good of a shot as you are, you'll be dining on elk steaks, I have no doubt.

Funny, I have had this same conversation with myself this year. Decided to stick with the .30-06 but the .25-06 was runner-up.

Good hunting -

Dale

As long as you are willing to pass on a few shots at tough angles that require a lot of penetration on the biggest game I'd have no problem using it. I haven't seen anything kill deer size game any quicker than a good hit from a 25-06. I just got another one built that's shooting darn good with 100gr TTSX factory loads, haven't tried any handloads in it yet. Its shooting well enough I'm not sure I will. I think the wife will use it for antelope hunting and I'll use it on windy day coyotes and antlerless season. Sometimes a big buck only offers me a tough angle and I like a little more bullet to penetrate to the vitals on those shots. At least my 270 but usually my 264WM

Guy we know you are an excellent shot but are you willing to bet your tag on having a clean, open broadside shot at a reasonable distance? As you know the 25 is not the best choice for the angle shot or one in the dark timber going straight away. There are many better rifles for elk, and I know that you own at least two of them. Just my . 02

I'm sure an argument could be made for something larger but, so much depends on the bullet and the placement of that bullet. A 25-06 in your hands ought to be plenty.

chs

Thanks all. Mostly I asked, just to get the opinions of you hunters here on the forum. There's a lot of experience speaking on these pages...

I do recall being surprised when I started shooting, and hunting with my .25-06, how many guys told me that they had taken elk and bear with theirs. I'd always thought of it as a "deer and smaller" rifle. Have to admit, that's what I've used it for, though I did carry it on one elk hunt. Didn't get a shot. Phooey.

I've nothing against my larger caliber rifles, in fact I like them quite a bit, but this .25-06, it's just been so successful over the years... Tempting to simply continue using it.

Or I might just grab something bigger. "When I know, you'll know. Until then, we both don't know." That's a quote from a Marine SSgt I worked with long ago... :mrgreen:

Guy

While I wouldn't stay home if all I had was my 25-06 I like to have a little extra for elk. I know they kill tons of them with the 25-06 and smaller but Having a bull or cow that needed something "bigger" after a tough first shot helps. Everyone talks about the perfect first shot but sometimes it's not a bad thing to have a little extra.

Saying that, if my 25-06 was all of had I hunt the tar out of it as well with 100 ETips, 115-120 Noslers or Swifts and be okay about the whole deal.

Elkman":9226nt6v said:
Guy we know you are an excellent shot but are you willing to bet your tag on having a clean, open broadside shot at a reasonable distance? As you know the 25 is not the best choice for the angle shot or one in the dark timber going straight away. There are many better rifles for elk, and I know that you own at least two of them. Just my . 02

Makes for interesting conversation though eh? :grin:

I think you should take the 25-06 this year.

Do it for science. You'll never know until you try.

Sent from the Edge of my Galaxy.

Had the .30-30 out yesterday for bear. Got real close to shooting, at 15 yards or so, but didn't really want that particular bear, and he didn't push the issue - so, no shot - and I guess that already took the .25-06 out of my "for everything" this year.

The .30-30 was absolutely the best choice from my rifles for yesterday's hunt.

It is nice, having a few good rifles from which to choose.

Regards, Guy

Guy, is the 30-30 the only lever you own ? I have grown very fond of them and basically use them for everything but goat and sheep now. I hope to get one like Dr Mike has someday, although the recoil might be a bit much of me. The 348 might be my limit, recoil wise

Cheyenne,

The .356 is a sweet cartridge. The recoil isn't bad at all--stock design takes a lot of sting out of the cartridge, which isn't terrible to start with.

Guy,
Here's my experience with the .25-06!
I used to hunt exclusively with a .25-06, until one year, I went deer hunting with my Ruger M77 in .25-06. Everything was great that year. It was cool in the morning, not excessively cold in the Medicine Bow Mountains outside of Laramie, Wyoming. I practiced to exhaustion with my one rifle that year. Used it for gopher hunting, prairie dogs, coyotes, and then deer. I knew exactly where it would hit. I was using the Winchester Super X 120 Protected Power Cavity that deer hunt. I saw the biggest whitetail I've ever seen walking up a ridge line, not knowing I was there, 125 yds away. I shot at that deer, knowing exactly where that bullet would hit. It did, and it hit the shoulder blade and rib. Perfect picture book broadside shot. The bullet didn't penetrate like it should have. I saw it run off. I was dumbfounded. Never retrieved that deer. A week later, an acquaintance went hunting in the same area, found the buck I shot, mortally wounded. He saw it walking along, almost dead, with It's head drooping. He had a .30-06, and dispatched it with one shot. I saw the aftermath, with a gaping hole on It's right side where I shot. The poor thing was in misery. That day made me go to a .308 with a minimum of
150 grain bullets for deer, and at least a 165 grain bullet for elk, and definitely a 180 grain bullet for elk and bigger stuff.
Now, as a buddy told me, it was bullet error, not the cartridge, or the shot placement.
To this day, I still use a heavier round.
I don't want to discourage you, but bullet failure could happen any time. My other friends have used a .25-06, and they've had bullet failures as well. Maybe it's because the .25-06 is so zippy and creates more stress? Could be.
I wouldn't want your hunt ruined because of the same thing. Even if the situation is perfect for elk.
Just my observation. Take it or leave it.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

HAWKEYESATX":1vdovit8 said:
Guy,
Here's my experience with the .25-06!
I used to hunt exclusively with a .25-06, until one year, I went deer hunting with my Ruger M77 in .25-06. Everything was great that year. It was cool in the morning, not excessively cold in the Medicine Bow Mountains outside of Laramie, Wyoming. I practiced to exhaustion with my one rifle that year. Used it for gopher hunting, prairie dogs, coyotes, and then deer. I knew exactly where it would hit. I was using the Winchester Super X 120 Protected Power Cavity that deer hunt. I saw the biggest whitetail I've ever seen walking up a ridge line, not knowing I was there, 125 yds away. I shot at that deer, knowing exactly where that bullet would hit. It did, and it hit the shoulder blade and rib. Perfect picture book broadside shot. The bullet didn't penetrate like it should have. I saw it run off. I was dumbfounded. Never retrieved that deer. A week later, an acquaintance went hunting in the same area, found the buck I shot, mortally wounded. He saw it walking along, almost dead, with It's head drooping. He had a .30-06, and dispatched it with one shot. I saw the aftermath, with a gaping hole on It's right side where I shot. The poor thing was in misery. That day made me go to a .308 with a minimum of
150 grain bullets for deer, and at least a 165 grain bullet for elk, and definitely a 180 grain bullet for elk and bigger stuff.
Now, as a buddy told me, it was bullet error, not the cartridge, or the shot placement.
To this day, I still use a heavier round.
I don't want to discourage you, but bullet failure could happen any time. My other friends have used a .25-06, and they've had bullet failures as well. Maybe it's because the .25-06 is so zippy and creates more stress? Could be.
I wouldn't want your hunt ruined because of the same thing. Even if the situation is perfect for elk.
Just my observation. Take it or leave it.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

I feel your pain! :( Sounds like bullet failure to me. Unfortunately your story sounds a lot like one of mine.

The best deer of my life walked away after being shot with a standard cup and core bullet. It was from a .270 and around 50 to 60 yards. The buck was slightly quartering away so I put the bullet behind the leading shoulder 1/3 up from the bottom of his chest aiming for the opposite shoulder. He flinched & trotted behind some brush where I expected him to fall. Instead he kept that brush between us and walked out of sight forever. Found a little blood but, it too vanished after 30 yards.

It was the bullet exploding on impact. From then on I am a proponent of bonded bullets for deer or bullets that don't expand that rapidly.

Dang, and I moved up to the .25-06 after years of hunting deer with the 6mm Remington... :mrgreen:

Shot a lot of them with the .223 & 55 gr soft points as well, on the job. That worked, but ranges were generally modest, and those deer were all injured or sick anyway.

I'll likely just keep using the .25-06 the way I have for the past 10 years or more - deer, pronghorn & coyotes. Seems to be a great niche for it anyway. I do happen to have a couple of bigger rifles for bigger game... (y)

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":2j10ry9j said:
Dang, and I moved up to the .25-06 after years of hunting deer with the 6mm Remington... :mrgreen:

Shot a lot of them with the .223 & 55 gr soft points as well, on the job. That worked, but ranges were generally modest, and those deer were all injured or sick anyway.

I'll likely just keep using the .25-06 the way I have for the past 10 years or more - deer, pronghorn & coyotes. Seems to be a great niche for it anyway. I do happen to have a couple of bigger rifles for bigger game... (y)

Regards, Guy

Don't get me wrong, I would still be using the .25-06 if I hadn't got a divorce and sold it to pay for a lawyer. It was superb on coyotes, and pronghorn. After that mishap, I switched to reloading and using premium bullets for it. The premium bullets were just changing my mind and having more confidence in the .25-06, then wouldn't you know it, BAM, wife decides to divorce me. I was going to use it for that years deer hunt, but that happened. Oh well. A really nice .25-06 is still on my radar in the near future.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

The last 15 years have been tremendous for bullet advancement. Calibers like the 25-06 with sleek bonded bullets can "better" withstand the impact of close range shots while still being able to open well at the other end of the spectrum. Much easier to do "one bullet for all" scenarios.

Back