25-06 for yotes?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
What bullets/loads have worked for you? Accuracy/velocity?
I have a Savage tactical and want to work up some loads. 100 gr for goats and another load for varmints.

75 vs 85 gr? :?:

Just use the 100 gr BT for goats and yotes. :wink:

JD338

For coyotes I use 57 gr of RL 19 with a 85 gr bt and and get around 3600 fps and the 100 gr bt I use 51.5 gr of IMR 4350 and its around 3350.

Pop, I have shot coyotes with just about every weight bullet available in 25-06 and they all work reasonably well.

I shot the 85 grain Ballistic Tip for quite some time but Nosler just plain screwed up that bullet a few years back. It used to be quite deadly, even shot some deer with it. Now it surface blows so bad I will not even use it on coyotes.

Twice in the same morning I shot coyotes right on the shoulder using the 85 BT only to have them surface blow. Both dogs had to be shot again. Both had huge gaping surface wounds, but the 85 grain bullets never made it to the vitals. (My 22-250 with Ballistic Tips does much better than that!) Both dogs were maybe 200 to 250 yards eating on dead calves.

That 85 grain bullet does amazing things to ground squirrels, jack rabbits, marmots, etc. but I am done using them on coyotes.

Amazingly enough, I am having much better luck with the 75 grain V-Max that Hornady offers. It too does really bad things to small varmints, but manages to kill coyotes very well.

My current load for the 75 grain V-Max is as follows:

R-P case
Fed 210 primer
57 grains IMR 4831 powder
75 grain V-Max
OAL 3.23 inches
Velocity 3570 fps
Average group size 0.53 inches

I have tested as much as 58 grains of IMR 4831 and got 3668 fps, but the groups were almost double in size.

Another outstanding load in my 25-06 using the 75 grain V-Max is 56 grains of H 4350, which gives 3557 fps and averages 0.64 inches.

Have fun, R F

JD338":1pmuq2ia said:

JD338

JD I thought about that but wouldn't that simplify things? And what handloader wants that? :lol:

R Flowers":7wv3pqis said:
Pop, I have shot coyotes with just about every weight bullet available in 25-06 and they all work reasonably well.

I shot the 85 grain Ballistic Tip for quite some time but Nosler just plain screwed up that bullet a few years back. It used to be quite deadly, even shot some deer with it. Now it surface blows so bad I will not even use it on coyotes.

Twice in the same morning I shot coyotes right on the shoulder using the 85 BT only to have them surface blow. Both dogs had to be shot again. Both had huge gaping surface wounds, but the 85 grain bullets never made it to the vitals. (My 22-250 with Ballistic Tips does much better than that!) Both dogs were maybe 200 to 250 yards eating on dead calves.

That 85 grain bullet does amazing things to ground squirrels, jack rabbits, marmots, etc. but I am done using them on coyotes.

Amazingly enough, I am having much better luck with the 75 grain V-Max that Hornady offers. It too does really bad things to small varmints, but manages to kill coyotes very well.

My current load for the 75 grain V-Max is as follows:

R-P case
Fed 210 primer
57 grains IMR 4831 powder
75 grain V-Max
OAL 3.23 inches
Velocity 3570 fps
Average group size 0.53 inches

I have tested as much as 58 grains of IMR 4831 and got 3668 fps, but the groups were almost double in size.

Another outstanding load in my 25-06 using the 75 grain V-Max is 56 grains of H 4350, which gives 3557 fps and averages 0.64 inches.

Have fun, R F

Nice results!

Pop, i have had excellent results with the 90 gr, HPBT sierra setting on top of a heavy charge of 4350 or H4831. One shot kills as far as i can hit them and huge gaping holes.
BTW, i think JD. has the right idea, but as you said , that's to simple, never could a died in wool reloader do that. :lol: :lol:

Twist my arm guys!
Load 110 gr AB's for goats and 100 gr BT's for yotes. :lol:

There, ya happy now you die hard reloaders. :lol: :lol:

JD338

POP":2ru3jvu8 said:
JD338":2ru3jvu8 said:

JD338

JD I thought about that but wouldn't that simplify things? And what handloader wants that? :lol:

Pop-

You gotta re-think this a bit.

How about: Use 1 gun with 1 bullet to do 1 job. If you want to do any other job, you get another gun! :p

The 110g AB over H4831 or H1000 will save the pelt of a 'yote and give the smack down to any goat. And, with a BC of .418, it will go almost as far as you can see.

I"ve shot coyotes with just about every bullet outta the 25-06 and they all work pretty well. THe last 2 yotes I've killed have been with the 100g NBT over 54g IMR-4831. Velocity is 3400fps and accuracy hovers .5 MOA out to 600 yards. 1 coyote was running about 150 yards, I led him a little bit and touched off, I saw fur fly and the dog roll. THe 100g BT caught the shoulder, high and dang near ripped him in half. He was an old old male. The 2nd coyote was standing broadside about 125 yards. I held behind the shoulder and touched off. Coyote rolled and was DRT. Exit hole was about the size of a silver dollar.

I was going to go back to the 85g NBT's at 3600fps, but theres not much gain over the 100's when pushed to 3400fps. Plus the 100's can double up for antelope and deer pretty good.

THe 75g Vmax at around 3700fps does a pretty good job on coyotes as well.

The 115g NBT is a great choice as well...

The list goes on and on...

I really like the 100gr BT's for coyotes. Was shooting the 85gr BT's but like the BC of the 100gr bullets better.

110 gr accu bonds for everything now! I shot a large male yote durring deer season at 125 yrds and it did quite well, I think it acts more like a FMJ with thin skin coyotes, knocked him real dead and liveable exit hole.
I can load one bullet and have good accuracy and clean kills. I shot my 4x4 WT at 455 yards and he dropped like a rock. I love those accubonds.
I use 47.5 gr of IMR 4350 and get around 3050 FPS and that is plenty to whack goats,deer or coyotes out to 500+ yrd IMO. I figure why have different loads and point of impacts when the AccuBond does the job on all extremely well. Plus the 110 will be better at longer ranges in a cross wind.

Back