25/06 info

bsick1

Beginner
Jul 12, 2005
Hello all,
So much to ask, so little space...
first some back ground.
Some 25 years ago my Dad bought me a Rem 700 25-06 for my 17th birthday. The 22WMR was not enough. My family farmed 1500 acres in Western NY. (rolling hills, small fields) our primary interest was varmit control. With the exception of a Shotgun or 2, we only had rimfires. I neeeded more. Dad went to the gunshop for a 220 swift or a 22-250 and came home with a 25-06 The Gun shop owner told dad what an all around cartridge it is. he trusted him. (odd though, we cannot use rifle on deer in WNY) I had lousey luck with accuracy and it was too expensive to shoot. Of course this came to light about the same time I discovered women. (Hmmmm. hunt woodchucks or women and beer) The 25/06 sat in the closet for some 20 years. This Spring my 14 year old got his first 22WMR (marlin, just like mine) and wanted to target shoot, then on to chucking. Out came the 25-06 and the stories of the good old days. I considered trading the 25/06 for a .223 or some other .22 cal. My dad is still proud of his purchase and I couldn't bear to sell it. So now I am off and running again. I bought some reloading equipment and I am back to trying to Varmit hunt with the 25-06. I am starting to get some reasonable accuracy (and results!) at an affordable price
here's the questions
Most shots are under 300 yds
Is the 25/06 a great woodchuck gun? (I love its hitting power!)
What is the best bullet for those 300 to 450 yd shots? Caliber?
What are your favorite loads?
What should I expect out of my bone stock Rem 700?
What improvements to the gun itself are necessary?
I like the 85 grain Ballistic tips because of their explosive nature, (they sure smoddle a chuck) Would I be better served by a 100 or 110 grain bullet?
Would a 100 grain bullet gernade a chuck as well as the 85?
Will a 100 or 110 carry through the body in tact and richochet?
Are the CT bullets Moly coated?
I have heard that Moly does nasty things to steel barrels when wet. Is it true?
What precautions Should I use with moly Bullets?
How long should I expect my Barrel to last?
Will the Moly Bullets ease the Barrel wear issues?
Any and all 25/06 input is appreciated.
Thanks
Bill

Is the 25/06 a great woodchuck gun?
Yes, but it is loud, kicks a lot and it's bullets are not as safe as a .224" bullet regarding richochets.
Depending on the backstop, a 85-grain BTip. The 75-grain Sierra HP is a terrible long range varmint bullet, giving 5" more drop and 15" more wind drift at 450 yards. The 75-grain VMax shoots slightly flatter with about the same wind drift as the 85. I've not been able to get decent accuracy out of the Hornady bullet myself, but that is rifle-dependent and it may shoot better in another rifle. This is a .257-caliber rifle.
Impossible to say. A 20-year old M700 should shoot factory ammo into 2 moa or less. With good ammo and a good shooter, 1 moa or less is possible. Is this an M700 Varmint rifle?
Again, impossible to say. A good scope is needed, at least 10 power if you want to shoot at 450 yards. A triger job will help. Rebedding the action might help, and free-floating the barrel may or may not help. Lapping in the bolt lugs may help. There are so many variables and so many things to do to an M700 to improve accuracy. Shoot it first and then decide.
I like the 85 grain Ballistic tips because of their explosive nature....Would I be better served by a 100 or 110 grain bullet?
There is a minor advantage to the 100-grain BTip bullet in wind drift at extreme range (2" less drift at 450 yards), but I'd probably stick with the 85 BTip.
No, the 100s are made with tougher jackets, and at closer ranges they are traveling slower than the 85s. At 450 yards their velocities are virtually identical; the 85 would still open up better.
Yes, but so can the 85s at very long range. IMO the only truely safe varmint bullets are the light weight thin jacketed ones in .224 caliber.
I have heard that Moly does nasty things to steel barrels when wet. Is it true? What precautions Should I use with moly Bullets?
I have two barrels set up for moly. I practice excellent barrel care, so have seen no problems with moly and water. If I was to do it all over again I'd not use the moly, although since I'm set up it isn't a headache.
It depends mostly on how you shoot it. You can destroy a barrel in one afternoon (been there, done that) by firing to rapidly and not letting the barrel cool off. One of my 6mms has a throat that looks like a dry lake bed, all from one afternoon's shooting on a hot day. If you keep it clean, don't overheat it, and keep pressures at factory levels, there is no reason why you can't expect at least 1000+ accurate shots, possibly even a lot more.

Is the 25/06 a great woodchuck gun?
WEll I will have to admit that there are better suited calibers, however it will definately get the job done on them.

Personally, I have never bothered with anything under 100grs in mine. If your going to drop below that then you might as well shoot something in 6mm. The 100gr Sierra's and Nosler BT bullets as well as a couple of others have doen well on varmint sized game out of mine.

What are your favorite loads?
I am currently shooting the 115gr Part. exclusively out of mine. It shoots tight enough that I can do head shots on skunks and yotes out to 300 yds. The powder is 56.5grs of RL-22 in a Win. case with Win-WLR primers. Seated to 3.250" OAL. for a velocity of 3150fps. When I settled on this OAL I was using the 100gr BT's and never changed the setting on the die. IT has worked out well on every bullet I have laoded since. You will need to work up slow on this load backing it off to around 54grs to start with. The OAL has worked out well in several other rifles besides mine so you might keep that in mind. For the 100gr BT's I used IMR-4831 and for the Sierra's I used IMR-4350. Both loads shot in under 1/2" at 200yds.

WEll mine might be the golden exception, but with the 100gr BT's loaded with IMR-4831 to 3300fps, it would group around 1/2" at 200yds. This was verified by several sceptics who repeated it for themselves. The 115's will do that as well. since I hunt with this rifle I decided to just stick with the hunting loads and not worry about the critter getter, as I have several others which are better suited.

Trigger job might help out dramatically, as well as, free floating the barrel.

I like the 85 grain Ballistic tips because of their explosive nature, (they sure smoddle a chuck) Would I be better served by a 100 or 110 grain bullet?
You can look around and find some decent .257 caliber match bullets like Bergers, as well as several others which will be very explosive on vermin. I personally never needed anything other than the Noslers or Sierra's, which in 95% of the shots were Nosler BT's.

Sometimes the hits are quite impressive. Sometimes they are just plain ol hits. Just depends on the impact velocities of the bullet and what exactly you hit on the critter.

If by intact you mean a mushroomed bullet, yes. However depending on where your located in relation to your neighbors, and what your backstop is, this may or may not be problematic. If you have soft sandy soil or similar ground it shouldn't be to much of a problem. Wher as if it is hard clay or even rocky then your more apt to get them.

I have heard that Moly does nasty things to steel barrels when wet. Is it true?
I have been shooting moly bullets in mine for going on 8 years with no problems noted so far. I clean it regularily as you would normally clean a rifle. I have been using a 2-1 mixture of Shooters Choice and Kroil. This may or may not help but it hasn't hurt anything and velocity and accuracy have stayed with me through it all.

What precautions Should I use with moly Bullets?
Load them and shoot them as you would any other bullet.

This depends on a number of factors but it should last you and your son quite a lot of rounds through it.

Will the Moly Bullets ease the Barrel wear issues?
Moly has not been proven to be a cure all for anything. It either has followers or scoffers. Barrel wear is more of an issue with the types of powder, the amount as well as the smoothness of your barrel and it's fouling charistics. IF you keep it cleaned often and do not shoot the faster buring powders all of the time then it should last several thousand rounds. I know that mine is over 1800 and still going. Course it might go to crap by the end of the year but I have gotten everything I have asked form it.

Good luck and feel free to shoot me a note if I can help out with anything.

It's soooo nice to have knowledgeable people replying here. Thanks and keep it up guys.

the knowledge out here is Unbelieveable! Keep the opinions coming! 1/2'' groups at 200 yds. That is tight. I loaded a few rounds last night with 56 grains of H4831SC and 87 gr speer molly bullets about .020 off the lands. I shot a 1" 5 round group off a bipod on a picnic table. (Kinda like being in the field) The combined technology bullets did not fair so well (85 grains) but I am sure I can zero in on tighter groups with a little development. I think I'll pick up a box of Nosler Ballistic tips in 100 gr. and give 'em a whirl. I have IMR4350 in stock as well as H4831SC.
I cannot imagine getting 1/2" at 200 yds. 1" at 100 has been my objective. I have found that a final pass through a lee crimp die has tightened the groups a little...
The only thing I see as an obsticle is there are so many combinations. I will burn out my barrel developing the best load. Also, If I go out and buy a pound of powder and a box of bullets for every combo. I'd be broke. I do think the 100 grain bullet route is worth looking into!

For 100 grainers try 51.5 - 54 grains of IMR-4831. I've never seen a properly set-up 25-06 rifle that wouldn't break MOA with this combination plus you can use this combination when its time to take your son out West for Antelope. Back in PA, the 25-06 is used quite frequently for extremely long-range chucking (500-700 yards) so its very capable. Good luck!

Brad

Thanks for the advice guys! Last nite I tried the speer combo in the field. Only saw 2 chucks and they were looking at me. I must say that I made out better than they did. They got their metal suppliments delivered high speed from 242yds (prone) and 216yds(sitting). I love hitting what I shoot at. Those 87 grainers open up almost as well as the nosler BT. I Just ordered a box of 100 grain BT. I cannot wait for them to show up. I will work up some loads with the 4831. I think I have been going too light on the lead... This 25/06 thing has been a struggle. Kinda like a marriage. I think in the end though, we are going to be together a real long time!

Brad is right on there with the suggested load range on that 4831. The load I was using in mine was 52.5grs Imr-4831, seated to 3.250".

This was getting 3300fps and one hole groups. It was a little much for deer, under 200yds, but awesome on the little critters. In this particular load, the bullets weren't coated. these were the initial loads I worked up when the rifle was brand new. In fact I had two boxes loaded before I even got the rifle out of layaway. LOL However they still shoot just as good now as they did then and I keep a couple of boxes loaded up and ready for the vermin hunts we have every now and again.

The hard part is having to head to the range to reset the zero for one bullet then change it back when I am done. Thats why I just stuck with the PT's, it groups about as good, just a little more, but it will take out everything I want up to the big hogs we get into occaisionally. Shot palcement on the bigger ones with this caliber is key, and when your confident in what your holding, well + marks the spot.

Good luck on yours,

That is exactly what I am looking for. I am afraid that I have about 60 rounds to burn with the 87 grainers. With in 200 yds, they'll provide an ample high speed mineral suppliment for those ground pigs. I hope to work up some 100 grainers this coming weekend. I love the Knowledge that is floating around here. You guys are most helpful!!!
Thankyou!!!!!
Bill

I use the 100 grain Bt's for large game with 50 grains IMR4831,
the Hornady 75 grain hollow points with 52 grains of IMR4831 will
shoot into the same inch at 100 yards for a mild kicking practice load.

Back