25-06 load suggestions

Bowhntr

Beginner
Jan 9, 2007
I've got a Remington 700 ADL in 25-06 and I need to come up with a load. This gun was passed to me due to a family death and I'm pretty well set for deer/elk with my .270 win and .308 rem, I've also got a .223 rem for varmints. I can't really decide what to set the 25-06 up for. I'm tempted to try 85 grain varmint BT's and just see what I can get for ultra long range 'yote hunts but then again having it set up for deer would not be too bad either. I could go back to my 150 grain Partition in the 270 for elk only and set the 25-06 up for deer only. What are yor guys thoughts and what are some good loads?

Easy

100 grain Ballistic tips are great for double duty.

53-57 RL 22
55-58 RL 25

Both will yield 3300 fps + with good accuracy (pending on gun)

Good for coyotes to mule deer.

I am kind of in the same boat right now. I have 100gr Etips, 120gr PT's and just grabbed a box of 115gr BT's. I am thinking I am going to go with the 115gr BT for the first load. It will handle anything I will hunt from coyotes to deer and I shouldn't have to worry about a deer stressing the 115gr bullet out. I know RM2506 has used them on elk and bear without issues, so I am putting some faith in them. I grabbed a lb of Retumbo and RL22. I imagine either of those two should make for a good load from what the fellers are saying around here. Scotty

Those 75 grain vmax's at about 3650 and the 85 grain gr. Noslers at 3450 are way fun, flat, and fast. They make a joke out of bullet drop compensators and range charts until you get past 350 yds!!
Elkeater2

100 gr BT 52 grs IMR 4350 great for deer and varmints. Or 115 BT of Partition 49 grs IMR 4350 or 52 grs H-4831 for deer. I really like the 117 Sierra FB pro hunter and 49 grs IMR 4350 with a CCI 250 primer, Rem case. Extremely accurate and really does a number on deer.

Well I got a 700 classic and it loves 100 gr bts pushed by a stiff charge of RL17 I can bump 3500 fps which means you are not gettin any flatter using 85s

Oh and groups are darn near dime size!

I am currently shooting 120gr partitions with Retumbo - the most accurate load from the latest Nosler handloading guide for the 120gr. I am happy with the 200 yard groups so far but am still playing around with seating depth

nitis":3n6yr1j9 said:
Well I got a 700 classic and it loves 100 gr bts pushed by a stiff charge of RL17 I can bump 3500 fps which means you are not gettin any flatter using 85s

Yep, there's lots to like. I shoot those little bullets for the explosive effect on our giant prairie dogs. I've got my 100 grainers cranked up as well. My favorite current cup and core (as in cheaper!) bullet is the hornady 120 HP. I do have a good load with the 110 Accubonds - too good maybe :grin:
I can't seem to keep enough around for game season, because I keep wanting to duplicate those tiny little groups. At my age, it's as much about making sure the eyesight and trigger control haven't left yet, I think the rifle/load is pretty well proven.

Elkeater2

Another vote for the 100 gr BT for both coyotes and deer.

JD338

nitis":1dsz9k0i said:

In a 25-06 or 257 Bee?

POP & nitis,
My soupiest 100 gr. load is with RL25 and Hornadys, 3445 avg. for 10 shots. That's 25-06 Encore w/ a 28" barrel.
I've seen a couple other posts on other sites about more than that, but it's enough for me! Those things might vaporize if they touch anything inside 100 yds. anyway....
Elkeater2

Bowhntr - for deer & coyotes/varmints consider the 100 grain bullet - in two different flavors - use the 100 gr Partition for big stinky ol' mule deer, and the 100 grain Ballistic Tip for varmints & coyotes. Both are accurate, both work very well. I think the Partition is a safer bet with big 250 pound mountain mulies.

I've gone to the 115's for my standard load though... Not having a .270 for deer.

Regards, Guy

Never seen a deer walk away from a confrontation with a 100 NBT... be it blacktail, whitetail, or muley... may have tried... all have failed. I know it's en vogue to talk about the 100 NBT like it's a varmint pill... but I've piled up a lot of critters in the 200-300 pound range with them... and a couple of cow elk to boot.

I like 59 grains of IMR7828SSC in my 24" piped .25-06 when running the 100s... I get 3333fps avg and groups in the 3/4" range. I run RE-17 behind the 85 NBT for coyote and other vermin disassembly work... ususally get right at 3600fps... hammers coyotes and turns 'chucks and p-dogs into wet puzzles. The 115 VLDs see either Retumbo or Ramshot Magnum (60-62 grains) and a mag primer... for 3200ish... long range load extrodinare... hits harder past 400 yards than any commercial load for the .270 Winny.

Songdog, I really want that 115gr BT and Retumbo load to shoot, but if I can't, I will drop down to 100's and see what that does for me. I need to really break out the chronograph and get serious about load work, after the hunting season! Scotty

My dad killed a young 5 point buck this morning using my Mossberg 4x4 25-06. He was using 100gr.BT with 51gr.IMR 4350.Shot was about 40 yards shoulder shot,and I cut the bullet from under the skin on the other side.It was a perfect mushroom.He said the deer dropped like a rock.I will post a pic. of the bullet tomorrow.

beretzs":4lhowib5 said:
Songdog, I really want that 115gr BT and Retumbo load to shoot, but if I can't, I will drop down to 100's and see what that does for me. I need to really break out the chronograph and get serious about load work, after the hunting season! Scotty

I like the 115NBT... it's probably my favorite bullet in the terminal effects department that you can run in a .25-06. My problem with them is I have a hard time breaking 3100 with them... ususally 3K is about all I can get for some reason. I think it's because the bearing surface is so long on them... way longer (about 40% more) than the 115 Berger... and they cost the same... so, I typically take the ballistic advantage over the terminal performance.

The 100 NBT is seriously bad news on stuff... it gets a bad rap... and for the life of me I can't figure out why. I've never recovered one, and all but one exited... the only one I've seen stay in a critter penetrated at least 30+"... including a ball joint. I'd not be too sad if my rifle decided to love the 100s and hate the 115s... escpecially if it loved the 100 NBT and the 100 E-Tip... can't think of anything those two wouldn't handle short of really big mean nasty stuff.

Good point Songdog. I will give the 100gr BT's a try! You have talked me into it. I almost ordered some anyhow while getting Acra Glas. I plan on sticking with Noslers anyhow, so next round, I will give the 100's a try. They sound like dynamite on deer and antelope, plus, the 25-06 can really zing them! Scotty

Here are pic's of the bullet. I thought it should have exited at that close of range,but didn't.The only thing that matters is it done its job!!!My dad said the deer just dropped dead.

101_0042.jpg

101_0044.jpg

101_0045.jpg

Back