25-06 or 6.5 Creedmoor

Thebear_78":fhm8jbcy said:
FOTIS":fhm8jbcy said:
The 6.5 Manbun aka the 6.5 Freakmoor! LOL Yes I have one. Shoots great. Building a 25-06 Ackley as we speak (fast twist) so I like them both.
Now your talking, fast twist 25/06 ackley. That would be worth looking into. Love those 40° shoulders! I’d definitely opt for a center feed those zero taper square shoulders can be a PITA to get to feed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Centerfeed nada Bear. Single feed. in this

imb4RfAl.jpg

QU7wTckl.jpg

DplWZFIl.jpg

kwZB9ZIl.jpg

tm3XZOrl.jpg

M2EiTqQl.jpg

It is a benchmark 26" 1:7 twist

FOTIS":sc24n349 said:
Thebear_78":sc24n349 said:
FOTIS":sc24n349 said:
The 6.5 Manbun aka the 6.5 Freakmoor! LOL Yes I have one. Shoots great. Building a 25-06 Ackley as we speak (fast twist) so I like them both.
Now your talking, fast twist 25/06 ackley. That would be worth looking into. Love those 40° shoulders! I’d definitely opt for a center feed those zero taper square shoulders can be a PITA to get to feed

Centerfeed nada Bear. Single feed. in this

imb4RfAl.jpg

QU7wTckl.jpg

DplWZFIl.jpg

kwZB9ZIl.jpg

tm3XZOrl.jpg

M2EiTqQl.jpg

It is a benchmark 26" 1:7 twist
That’s kind of a center feed!

Seriously what is the hatred for the 6.5 creedmoor? It’s an excellent cartridge design. It’s available in a lot of rifles, loaded ammo. There really isn’t anything bad about it. It’s kind of embarrassing how some of you go on about it.

While I do not own, nor have I owned, a 25-06, I know that it is a great cartridge and does very well on game. Have always thought that I should have one to pair with my 280 Rem and 338-06.

I do have a 250 AI, and it worked very well on the coyote I did shoot with it with 100 gr Winchester Silver Tip in 250 Savage factory ammo. Mind you, this is a ways behind the 25-06, when used with regular ammo, but it was short range (well inside 100 yards coming in to the corrals) and all I had handy at the moment. I will eventually settle on a good handload with the 110 gr AccuBond. Should get between 3000 and 3100 fps.

I have shot coyotes with the 270 Win and 270 Wby over the years, and the results were spectacular with the Wby and 90 gr HP's and 100 gr SP's!

I also have a 6.5 Creedmoor and do like it a lot. Have not used it on coyotes yet, but have taken a moose with (close range). Have owned a 260 Rem and 6.5 x 284, and liked both cartridges, but am more fond of the 6.5x55 (on my 4th rifle in this caliber) and have taken deer, stone sheep, moose and elk with it over the years. Not enough difference between the 260, CM and Swede to write home about, and the game will never know the difference at normal hunting ranges (inside 300 yards for me). For me, I prefer the Swede, just because I have over 25 years experience with it.
I also like the LH rifles I own in both 6.5's: Creedmoor is a rebarreled Browning X Bolt All Weather and the Swede is in a Sako 85 Hunter. Both shoot 1/2 MOA or better with factory ammo, when I do my part!

The Remington 700 Mtn rifles are beautiful rifles (at least IMO, having owned 2 over the years in 280 Rem; unfortunately neither shot better than 2 MOA) that I have always liked. One in 25-06, if it shoots well would be a nice rifle!
Rebarreling one in a short action to a 6.5 CM would be a great option too. I think both are good choices, so I may not be much help!

To me, the choice would come down to whether I wanted a long or short action, as to which cartridge I picked.

Thebear_78":3vvi6j6b said:
Seriously what is the hatred for the 6.5 creedmoor? It’s an excellent cartridge design. It’s available in a lot of rifles, loaded ammo. There really isn’t anything bad about it. It’s kind of embarrassing how some of you go on about it.

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand. :grin:

358 WCF":1gdgft6p said:
Thebear_78":1gdgft6p said:

That’s because I’m rational

358 WCF":4zm89xwn said:
Thebear_78":4zm89xwn said:

358 WCF,

Please elaborate. Inquiring minds want to know.

JD338

I would go 6mm Rem I have always used Sierra 85 Gr BTHP but I have not shot near the coyotes Songdog has and I want to try some 55gr bullets at 4000 FPS. Most likely when I retire and have more time.

6.5 Creed gets a bad rap from wannabe snipers on some forums. This is the crowd who take their Savage Axis topped with a Barska scope , shoot 1/4 minutes groups at mile with American Eagle ammo. Egos are killing the Creed.

RL338":fq3j4gr7 said:
6.5 Creed gets a bad rap from wannabe snipers on some forums. This is the crowd who take their Savage Axis topped with a Barska scope , shoot 1/4 minutes groups at mile with American Eagle ammo. Egos are killing the Creed.
Thanks for the explanation. I understand what you are saying. The 6.5 Creedmoor is a good round within it's limitations. Of course that can also be said with all rifle/ cartridges and the operator.

JD338

RL338":frgvh2o8 said:

This pretty much.

Working at Sportsman's and everybody wants a Creed because the internet says it will kill elk at 1200 yards. Just kills me!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :x :x :x

So many good choices out there...
Having a wildcat is much more complicated over here. Gun has to be proof-shot.
That means, the authorities need a test barrel.
So my choice was rather simple: which standard caliber is available in a a gun I like?
Ended up with the Creedmoor.
Not because I expect wonders, but because it is one of many that fit my purpose and the Savage Storm is available in that caliber for lefties.
Hope to get a fallow deer this weekend with it.
My only other rifle these days is a Tikka in 30-06 which did the job perfectly for the last 12 years. Just wanted a backup. It has to prove itself now.
Hunting is rather close range compared to what I read from you.
So no need for long-range magnums for me.
Few places where I can see more than 300y anyway....

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

FOTIS":32vssekp said:
RL338":32vssekp said:

This pretty much.

Working at Sportsman's and everybody wants a Creed because the internet says it will kill elk at 1200 yards. Just kills me!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :x :x :x
They must be recoil shy. Otherwise they would use something bigger. And of course there is the option of getting closer. Myself, I would pick both. :)

JD338

I love watching the Old Men yelling “GET OFF MY LAWN”.... at the Creedmoor.

PS..... I’ve seen a few 6.5s vs elks..... the 6.5s have won decisively on every occasion.... including some pretty good pokes.

Back