25-06 troubles......

I do not beleive that Hodgdon coverted the 7828 to the extreme line. What they did was make a short cut (IMR7828SC) that would help in getting more powder in some cases and make it meter better. I sent them a email after they took over the IMR line. I asked if they had any plans on making the IMR line work like there extreme line. There responce was no.

I dont believe IMR7828sc is an extreme line. All they did to it was short cut it to get a couple more grains in your case. It might help in velocity as well as loading density. Thats the whole idea behind sc theory, and to help meter better. No IMR powders I'm aware of carry the extreme line.

I have not had very good success with Barnes, either. I tried the X, The X BT, the Blue Meanies and the TSX in several rifles. The only bullet that shot good in one rifle was the 130 TSX in my 264 Win Mag, and even at that, it did not shoot as tight as the 140 Partition. I cleaned till the bore was squeaky clean, I seated bullets .050, .060, .040, .030 off the lands, nothing made a lot of difference. often had two rounds touching and a third that would make the group 3"+. Not acceptable, when you have a load with a different premium that will shoot under ¾" consistently. I have seen rifles that shot the Barnes bullets very well, but have seen a lot more that would not. So I have some to throw at the cats also!! :grin: :shock: :wink: Regards, Eagleye.

I too have had bad luck with barnes xbt bullets in my 25-06. I have an older Remington 700 with a 24" tube and it shoots 120 and 115 Partitions around .750" if i do my job right. No matter what load i used with the 100 gr barnes though, i could only get it to average in 1.5" at 100 yards. Which is of course sufficient for killing big game but not for the paper punching i wanted to do. By the way, anybody got a Remington or Winchester .270 they want to sell?

I bought one box (50) of Barnes 30 cal 165 TSX. The weight varied so much bullet to bullet that I have not loaded them. Anybody wanna buy them cheap?

Back