25-06?

This bull was killed with a 60# Hoyt and a 400grn arrow. Im pretty sure it died faster than any elk I have ever killed with a rifle. The fact of the matter is who gives a crap of how big of a caliber you shoot, I personally think there is no perfect elk caliber out there but on there other hand if you can shoot any big bore rifle well kudos to you. Being a bowhunter I have killed more elk with my bow than I've had with my long gun. The first cow I ever shot was with a 7 mag, I happened to walk right into the heard in the thick timber. I picked out my cow and @ 40 yards I squeezed off my shot. The bullet was a 150grn Swift Scirocco, she ran a total of 75 yards or so and piled up. My very first big bore I bought was a 300win back when I was 15, I got the living sh** kicked out of me with that gun and it made me very trigger jumpy. I soon sold that gun and bought a Ruger M77 in a 243win. I learned to shoot that gun well and for the past 10 years every deer that I have killed has been with that gun, I know where its gonna hit when I squeeze that trigger. I wouldn't hesitate one bit on killing an elk with that gun, call me a dumb ass but thats what I prefer to shoot. So who really gives a shit what your buddy's shoot if you know your rifle and you are very confident shooting it use whatever you like.
SD530967.jpg

I would imagine if he uses his 243 like he is hunting with a bow, he will never have too much of an issue with it. For the majority of folks, the 243 is a tad to light for me. I think it comes down to how you prefer to hunt. If you shoot it well, I doubt you will have much issue killing with them all, but I will stick with the bigger bullets, just me though. Not in any spot to tell someone that hunts with a certain caliber it is wrong, the confidence and ability to make good shots means alot in the game fields. Scotty

During bow season, I bet he could call a similar bull right in to about 25 yards, and smoke him right behind the ear with that .243. Of course by the time rifle season rolls around the less cautious one's were they guest of honor at a big roast hosted by one our bow or muzzle loading friends. It's usually pretty easy to spot the guys that have hunted alot of elk under truely wild conditions. They are the one's with a .32-.376 caliber rifle shooting a 200-286gr bullet.

My very first big bore I bought was a 300win back when I was 15,

Not to poke to much fun here but 300 Wins are a far cry from big bores. 375 and up would qualify. The 300 Win Mag I bought when I was 19 is now the wife's. Every one to there own.

Jim

Back