.25-20 WCF

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
I'm kinda late to the party where this little old cartridge is concerned, but I have found it to be a real gem, at least mine is.
I traded my cousin a Springfield 1903 custom and got an 1892 Winchester with a heavy 24" barrel and button magazine. It is a first year serial number and very well used but the barrel is a later model take-off. It came with a Marbles folding tang peep sight but I have swapped it out for the time being for a buckhorn rear sight.

With it I inherited about 60 rounds of handloaded Hornady 60 grain SPs on top of 10.5 grains of 2400. Once I got the buckhorn sights regulated, I shot a three shot 1 inch group at 50 yards no sweat.

I was able to buy a Lyman mould for casting bullets and I bought several boxes of the Hornady 60 grain SPs from MidwayUSA.

2400 is basically non-existent right now. I have some Ramshot Enforcer that is almost the same thing according to my burn rate chart.
My question is, should I expect a dramatic shift of impact with the cast lead bullets? With lube and gas check they are weighing about 75 grains versus the 60 grain jacketed bullets.

Any other .25-20 fans here?

Attachments

• Winchester2520-chuck1.jpg
    Winchester2520-chuck1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
At some point I had the Trinity. 218 bee, 25-20, and 32-20. All Marlins 1894 cl
I think the for the days ahead, something that one can cast bullets for and only need to use 10 grains of powder to reload could be quite useful for small game. Heck I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer with it if it was close enough etc. The .25-20 is kind of like a reloadable .22 WMR but it shoots nearly twice the bullet to about the same speeds. Super fun in any case.

I might be if the price is reasonable. I have quite a bit of brass but it comes pretty dear these days. Ammo as well.
Very cool rifle and cartridge.
My buddy has brass and loaded factory ammunition for it if you are interested.

JD338

Back