250 grain Rhino bullet - 35 Whelen est. 2650 fps

lanman

Beginner
Dec 3, 2011
I shot a 250 grain Rhino bullet into the jugs today. Quickload does not have Rhino bullets, but most of my 250 grain loads average 2650 fps.
I found it in the bottom of the 7th jug. It weighed 250.5 grains for 100% weight retention. The diameter measured .800
Scotty tested this bullet previously out of his 35 Newton and sheared 3 out of 4 petals. At Whelen velocities it is much more impressive.

DSC_0796.JPG

DSC_0794.JPG

DSC_0795.JPG

DSC_0797.JPG

If these were a little easier to get a hand on, I would love to try them on some critters. I like the way they look.

Dan-O

That is very impressive performance. I am impressed by the penetration at the Whelen velocities. Good post.

Very impressive, 7 jugs matches the old 250 gr Speer G.S and 225 gr TSX in some tests run a number of years ago. That would be excellent for heavy game anywhere.

I also shot a 250 grain Oryx.. I accidentally put the 7th jug on the rail backwards and when it exited jug 6 it deflected of the 7th and I couldn't find it. I'll have to load up another and try it again.

Wow, that really does look impressive! I may need to rethink my 225 TSX Whelen load after seeing that, good speed as well. I think I get 2725 from the 225.

Very nice Dano. Glad you were able to run them.

Very much looking forward to the Oryx..

That's great penetration, how is the accuracy??? Exterior wise they look similar to the A-Frame.

Elkman":t38lq43n said:
That's great penetration, how is the accuracy??? Exterior wise they look similar to the A-Frame.

I was given a couple to test, I dont have enough of them to shoot groups.

Back