200 grain Rhino - 35 whelen faster vs slower

lanman

Beginner
Dec 3, 2011
I shot a couple 200 grain Rhino's into the jugs this week.
The first load was stiff.. guessing 2900ish. It broke off three of the 4 petals. It ruptured the sixth jug but was dumped out of jug #5.
The second load was my Whelen pussycat load. I load this when my girl wants to shoot the bigger bore. It averages 2500 +/- 25 fps.
The slower load did not fully expand and hit the backboard. I had 8 jugs on the rail and the bullet was in the 8th but busted a good exit hole. It wanted to come out.

oBWIpXLhilBZd9P2GpWdg4QqQs6zzicoPu0Ka4hFwYDq=w533-h400-no

zYABjiBd1cw7P3mjx74PVxw99mdKq2rsDk37_HXEOL6V=w504-h378-no

jldmQT20aJbL7zfPNoJCFPPx2YX-NP8b0-RdRb9BGed-=w746-h994-no

kce_BnSyyfDqVe3Re0NV4gLZQUHo6jB6iM-4YGjB7p0h=w746-h994-no

zCbTQQsSxe7Rk6-RSl53m-aARUx4YaKqJhDHqny_Z08N=w746-h994-no

It is always intriguing how (certainly in medium bore cartridges) lower velocities penetrate more. The violent expansion precipitated by higher velocities may transfer more energy, but won't necessarily permit deeper penetration. An excellent presentation demonstrating physics at work.

2900 fps with a 200 gr in a Whelen? That has got to be hot!

FOTIS":2d0l629e said:
Where did you get them BTW?
BC's?

Fotis, I got them as a gift. I have very little info on them. I can look for a BC on the box tonight, I do not see it on the website.

http://rhinobullets.com/

2900 with a 200 is doable in a Whelen.
A6xhaKb82RS3wK_bRWvHDzEkk0UOQftrZTjX7ajx6ID9=w575-h891-no

They seem like good bullets, hope you can bust something with them this year.

FOTIS":3k5qu5pe said:

It is safely done with the right powder like the data above shows. I went that high but the gun shot very well 50 fps slower.

gerry":2hx1cgqy said:
They seem like good bullets, hope you can bust something with them this year.

FOTIS":2hx1cgqy said:

It is safely done with the right powder like the data above shows. I went that high but the gun shot very well 50 fps slower.

Same here, I used 4064 and had real good accuracy at around 2875 and no problems PSI wise..

The Rhino's are pretty neat but their window of good performance seems pretty narrow. My Newton chewed up the 250's at 2800. They do penetrate when pushed hard but there isn't much left of them.

SJB358":1fo3ah38 said:
Same here, I used 4064 and had real good accuracy at around 2875 and no problems PSI wise..

The Rhino's are pretty neat but their window of good performance seems pretty narrow. My Newton chewed up the 250's at 2800. They do penetrate when pushed hard but there isn't much left of them.

Seems like the jacket is brittle. They look impressive at the optimum speed. It appears to me 2500ish is not fast enough to get good expansion and 2900ish was to much. I'm sure they will still knock a whitetail down.

lanman":1xwtfp0a said:
SJB358":1xwtfp0a said:

Seems like the jacket is brittle. They look impressive at the optimum speed. It appears to me 2500ish is not fast enough to get good expansion and 2900ish was to much. I'm sure they will still knock a whitetail down.
Just wondering if you could anneal the bullet to soften the jacket?

truck driver":22xksjrq said:
lanman":22xksjrq said:
SJB358":22xksjrq said:

Just wondering if you could anneal the bullet to soften the jacket?

I am sure you could but in this case it'd be hard to not just run the PT's... :lol:

I know this post is a bit late to the party... The Rhino looks similar to a Trophy Bonded bullet with the solid shank and bonded lead core up front. Sounds like the velocity window is narrow though which is a bummer. Hope they get it worked out.

The Northforks I tested along with PTs, A-Frames and such out did the Rhinos. Same for the Oryx... So many good ones for the bigger .358's.

Back