35 Whelen - 200 grain HDY's and IMR4064

DON":47arffdp said:
Scotty,
I would imagine a pass through would happen with the 200 AB. It is a good alternative for the Whelen. Thanks for sharing the experience to the faithful Whelen users. 8)

Don

Yeah, I believe Gerry is on to something. I try to put as much as I can about the Whelen on the boards. You never know when there is a guy wondering about them and needing a new rifle :lol:

Well Mike, I will continue to try and make the rifle change, but as Guy mentioned in another thread, I believe Remington did nail the CDL stock design. Those and M70 Sporters seem to fit really well and that Whelen is a pleasure to carry being just about my lightest big rifle.

I too have used IMR 4064 in the 35 Whelen with 200 gr Hornady spire points and had excellent accuracy.

JD338

JD338":32h11kpu said:
I too have used IMR 4064 in the 35 Whelen with 200 gr Hornady spire points and had excellent accuracy.

JD338

Seems great to me Jim. Having issues trying to get ahold of RL15 or Varget, so I am sorta looking for some alternatives. Nothing pressing, just good to know there is something out there.

SJB358":3p65u7p5 said:
Bill I might load a few more up, finalize the load and try it this Fall on deer. I'm just leery of the 200's as I had horrible luck with the Remington 200 PSPs on deer. I wasn't getting exits on rib shots or recovering much of any bullet.

Thanks for that Lee. Might run them for deer and the price is right.

Gerry, I might try some 200 ABs. You've encouraged me a bit. I might also look at other powders but they are scarce right now.

Was this the new pointy PSP or the old more rounded point PSP. I have used the old in my whelen and 3 for 3 DRTs on white tails all passed clean through. I bought a box of rem 200 PSP from midway and realized they had the cannelure much higher for the 350rem and where more pointy than the hornady Spire point 200 IL. Never loaded them just used loaded more hornadys.

tjen":1rxsvv0j said:
SJB358":1rxsvv0j said:
Bill I might load a few more up, finalize the load and try it this Fall on deer. I'm just leery of the 200's as I had horrible luck with the Remington 200 PSPs on deer. I wasn't getting exits on rib shots or recovering much of any bullet.

Thanks for that Lee. Might run them for deer and the price is right.

Gerry, I might try some 200 ABs. You've encouraged me a bit. I might also look at other powders but they are scarce right now.

Was this the new pointy PSP or the old more rounded point PSP. I have used the old in my whelen and 3 for 3 DRTs on white tails all passed clean through. I bought a box of rem 200 PSP from midway and realized they had the cannelure much higher for the 350rem and where more pointy than the hornady Spire point 200 IL. Never loaded them just used loaded more hornadys.

It was the stuff they loaded in their factory ammo TJen. It was the first ammo I got for my Whelen, shot pretty well, zeroed up the rifle and went hunting. I think they were sorta flat pointed like a Core Lokt usually was, but I can't really remember. I may still have some of the box left, so if I get a chance, I will take a picture of them.

It didn't fail at all though, so I don't wanna say that, as the deer died dramatically, it was just that they did not exit and the one that ran on dry ground wasn't found until the morning since I couldn't find any blood in the evening. After looking again the next morning, I found a couple drops and the deer was jammed into the trees and thick brush nearby. No real sign of the bullet either, pieces of jacket and a few pieces of lead. Looks kinda like the bullet went varmint style on me. This was the case on both deer, shot 10 minutes apart, with the same box of ammo. After that, I went to the TSX and had good results and then moved onto Nosler's and have had better results as well.

FWIW, I used the 200 gr PSPCL factory load back in "88 and '89 and killed 4 bucks. I shot a big 11 pt in the neck as he walked back into the poplar, hitting the side of one about 15' in front of the buck. It was a lucky kill as I still hit the base of his neck but the bullet didn't exit. The next day I shot a big spike head on in the neck. The bullet hit the spine, deflected into the shoulder and was under the hide. In '89 I shot two big bucks n the lungs and they both exited. From '90 on I used the 225 gr PT and always got exits, even one the was facing me in the cedar swamp, that bullet went length wise through him and exited.

JD338

For me in the 35 cal its the 220gr and up excluding the 35rem. I have been using my 358win a lot and have used the 200gr Spire PT and 225gr Hawk and just now loaded up some 225gr PT's to used this year at 2430fps about 80fps over the hawk.

I shoot two bucks with the spire point and one exited neither was a fast kill and one ran 150 yards and was taken by another hunter with only my shot in it. A shoulder blade to far elbow (clean througth shot) one lung non-bleeder. 15 yards from tree stand. The hawk was a big hole in tight to the shoulder and bigger out double lung/heart shot at 70 yards. the differance being just two inches lower and less angle. I hunt about 12-14 up no higher.

JD338":2oq1z9ka said:
FWIW, I used the 200 gr PSPCL factory load back in "88 and '89 and killed 4 bucks. I shot a big 11 pt in the neck as he walked back into the poplar, hitting the side of one about 15' in front of the buck. It was a lucky kill as I still hit the base of his neck but the bullet didn't exit. The next day I shot a big spike head on in the neck. The bullet hit the spine, deflected into the shoulder and was under the hide. In '89 I shot two big bucks n the lungs and they both exited. From '90 on I used the 225 gr PT and always got exits, even one the was facing me in the cedar swamp, that bullet went length wise through him and exited.

JD338

That's great info Jim and I am glad I wasn't the only one that had the same experiences.

I have used the superformance factory rounds with the 200gr spire point. they chrono at 2889 in my 22" tube. I shot one deer with them. it was a 170# buck at about 17 yards. the shot was just behind the shoulder and took chunks of rib through the exit. the blood trail was 2 feet wide. the deer ran about 60 yards. the 200 NABs are my favorites.

IMR 4064 is a very accurate powder in my gun with 200 spire points, 200 NAB, 225 NAB, and 200 corlokt. however, it is slow at about 2580 with a max load. 4064 groups as good for me as rl15.

dlove":1zwa1yse said:
I have used the superformance factory rounds with the 200gr spire point. they chrono at 2889 in my 22" tube. I shot one deer with them. it was a 170# buck at about 17 yards. the shot was just behind the shoulder and took chunks of rib through the exit. the blood trail was 2 feet wide. the deer ran about 60 yards. the 200 NABs are my favorites.

IMR 4064 is a very accurate powder in my gun with 200 spire points, 200 NAB, 225 NAB, and 200 corlokt. however, it is slow at about 2580 with a max load. 4064 groups as good for me as rl15.

Thanks buddy, if they held up at that speed, they should be dandy's then. I need to get back out and refine the load a little more, but I am liking what I see with 4064.

Back