250 Oryx - 35 Whelen est 2627fps

Bonz it sounds like you have a couple of nice loads going with the Barnes bullets. Like Scotty said just a different means to get to the same ending. I've used Barnes and had great luck with accuracy and end results on game. I just had to try this bullet on elk this last season after seeing how they opened up and held together. No recovered bullet on the bull but it sure did a number on him with very little meat loss.

OU812":mhdxqym0 said:
Bonz it sounds like you have a couple of nice loads going with the Barnes bullets. Like Scotty said just a different means to get to the same ending. I've used Barnes and had great luck with accuracy and end results on game. I just had to try this bullet on elk this last season after seeing how they opened up and held together. No recovered bullet on the bull but it sure did a number on him with very little meat loss.

Sounds like perfect performance, I have a few to try for something big one day. Norma makes excellent bullets and I'm a fan of them.

gerry":xquo1jpy said:
OU812":xquo1jpy said:

Sounds like perfect performance, I have a few to try for something big one day. Norma makes excellent bullets and I'm a fan of them.

Gerry I was very impressed with that bullet. I wish I had recovered the bullet but at 40 or so yards it wasn't likely. I have never had a heart/lung shot bull go down so quick. He humped up at the shot and stood there for a second or so before turning 90 degrees and piling up at 10 yards give or take. Lots of bullets work well at 35 whelen speed but I really dig this bullet. If I keep my 35 I will with out a doubt use this bullet again.

I love my .35 Whelen, and if I ever get to hunt moose again it’s getting the nod. Have you chronographed the load yet to see what it’s actually doing? 2600+FPS would be absolutely smoking!

In todays world of modern hunters everyone is searching for the " magic bullet". Lots of time it gets assumed the more they cost, the better they perform. Sometimes there is merit to that theory. Same as how many ,now believe a magnum caliber is required to kill a 150lb deer...........
When the smoke all clears; on bullet tests for 35 caliber bullets, that perform in real world testing over
the last 50 years. One bullet has stood the test of time as a consistent killer on Moose and Elk. Regardless of what you spend you wont be able to outperform this proven performer.Screenshot_2019-12-11-09-53-18.png

I've used that 250 HotCor on whitetails with great results. I shot a doe recently with a 250 Partition. Also great results. I have a good stash of both bullets. Both shoot well...I think I eeked a bit more accuracy from the Partition, but it's insignificant.

The Partition goes 2620 from my M70 Whelen. It made a bit of a mess of the doe I shot, mostly because my shot placement was a smidge higher than I intended, and I hit spine. There's about 3" of spine that just isn't there anymore, and you can guess how the shoulders fared out with that kind of a hit.

With the HotCors, I had at least I can remember where I hit ONLY ribs, and the meat damage was very modest. The organ damage was significant.

Back