.250 Savage Nosler brass?

HunterJim

Handloader
Oct 20, 2004
Is anybody forming .250-3000 (or .250 Sav) brass from Nosler .22-.250 brass?

If so, what is your process?...thanks...jim

Tapered expander, imperial die wax and one pass in the die. I have taken 221 firball brass to 300 whisper without splitting case necks.Rick.

Rick,

Thanks for the reply. I am already using Imperial wax, so good deal. I will have to get a tapered expander pin.

jim

Jim, I just dip the case neck in the imperial and run into the die, neck or FL as necessary. The tapered expander is the trick.Rick.

Ok- Im a rookie. How does this tappered expander work. Can it be used as part of an RCBS FL die, for example? And Die wax....? Like i said I'm a rookie. But Nsloer Brass for my 250 Savage woudl be great! CL

Redding and RCBS make tapered expanders to replace the standard expander ball. They can be used in the FL or neck dies made by that company. Always polish your expander balls to a mirror finish before use.
Imperial die wax is now sold through Redding. One tin of it will last for years. When I am expanding to a larger caliber I dip the neck of the case into the die wax to the start of the shoulder. Wipe off any globs with my finger, size the case, wipe off any lube on the outside of the case with a paper towel, Q-tip the inside of the neck with acetone and throw the cases in a tumbler. Visually inspect all the necks after tumbling for any lube or media inside the neck.Rick.

My Redding .375 Ruger dies came today, and the folks tucked in a Redding Catalog. They show the tapered expander button for $16.50 or an entire die expander stem for $24.00. Sizes run from .17 to .375.

I put the Imperial wax on the case by getting some on a finger and spinning the case to distribute it. It does not take much.

jim

Back