.257 #1

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
Been trying to build a battery of classic cartridges on the #1; plugged a gap with the 257 Roberts. Picked her up at my LGS yesterday. Next year a 35 whelan or 300 H&H. I am still on the I get to spend the money I use to spend on chew and beer buying rifles. Working pretty good. Put $5 in the jar this morning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 12
Good looking rifle and a wonderful cartridge. I could never get into single shot rifles, but I can appreciate them.

You appear to be doing well. That is assuredly a classic cartridge and it is a classy rifle. Congratulations.

Been trying to build a battery of classic cartridges on the #1; plugged a gap with the 257 Roberts. Picked her up at my LGS yesterday. Next year a 35 whelan or 300 H&H. I am still on the I get to spend the money I use to spend on chew and beer buying rifles. Working pretty good. Put $5 in the jar this morning.

Pretty rifle, congratulations, enjoy !

Last edited:
The wife has 2 Lipsey's Edition Ruger No. 1's:
A 250 Savage, and a 257 Roberts in the RSI version.
Sweet rifles!
I want one of the Lipsey's Edition RSI's in 6.5x55!

Very nice rifle. The 257 Roberts is a classic for sure.
Same can be said for the 300 H&H and the 35 Whelen. Hope you get both.

JD338

I was a little disappointed with the rifle today. She would put two together then start walking up and to the right. Not unexpected as Ive had to work the forends on these a couple of times.

Attachments

• CE977F94-C2D1-4342-BADC-EC03FC24AEC4.jpeg
    CE977F94-C2D1-4342-BADC-EC03FC24AEC4.jpeg
    380.9 KB · Views: 2
I have a soft spot for #1s, with one in .280 Rem and one in 7X57. If you can put two shots where you want them with your number 1 there isn't much need for a third.

I have a soft spot for #1s, with one in .280 Rem and one in 7X57. If you can put two shots where you want them with your number 1 there isn't much need for a third.
Valid point as none of them are a PRS type rifle. In point of fact the game I’ve taken with no 1 were one and done.

Still acceptable SC.
And don't underestimate the 257 Roberts. With a 115 gr BT and a stiff load of RL22, it's on par with the 25-06 for performance. Not sure what you can get for a COL but it should be way out there. My 700 Classic is on a long action and I am loading them to 2.900". Accuracy is in the .3's and the MV is 3100 fps with great case life.
You have yourself a real sweetheart of a rifle.

JD338

I was a little disappointed with the rifle today. She would put two together then start walking up and to the right. Not unexpected as Ive had to work the forends on these a couple of times.
That doesn't appear to be all that uncommon with the No. 1s. On the other hand, as stated, two shots should be all one needs in the field.

Still acceptable SC.
And don't underestimate the 257 Roberts. With a 115 gr BT and a stiff load of RL22, it's on par with the 25-06 for performance. Not sure what you can get for a COL but it should be way out there. My 700 Classic is on a long action and I am loading them to 2.900". Accuracy is in the .3's and the MV is 3100 fps with great case life.
You have yourself a real sweetheart of a rifle.

JD338
I’m really looking forward to working with it. Catherine however has decided it is her rifle. I may be SOL. Come deer season.

The old saying may have been coined as "the only interesting gun is an accurate gun", but many of the "fun guns" have never been known for stellar accuracy.
Many of us have favourites, now or from the past, that are/were just plain fun to shoot, carry, and hunt with. And as long as they consistently put meat on the table, great adventures in the mind bank, and a smile on our faces, what does it matter if they don't put every bullet in the same hole?!?!?
Minute of deer/antelope/bear/moose/elk was good enough for the pioneers, our forefathers, why can't more of us be happy with the same?
4 MOA is still minute of deer for many big game animals @ 100 yards!
And 5 MOA is minute of elk, and 6 MOA is minute of moose.
And there are a lot of shooters out there that can still achieve that level of field accuracy with their ol' "fun gun"!

I've done some work with various Ruger #1 rifles and have a fair collection of them. Nevr have gotten my hands on an RSI in any caliber that I like. I would like one in 7x57 though if I can run across one in decent shape.

I think part of the OP's problem of that third shot being out of the group is barrel heat. I have a few M77 Ruger RSIs in .308 and if I really want a tight groups I have to space the shots three to five minutes apart and much longer here in the summer. I have a similar problem with barrel heat on the #1As I have. By the third shot the POI starts to change.

My Ruger #1 in ,257 Roberts is a "B" model and has proven to be very accurate with Norma Factory ammo that came with the rifle when I bought it. However, its barrel is like a redwood log compared to the barrel of an RSI or the #1A.

Paul B.

Back