.257 117 grain SST vs. Interlock BTSP

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
The 117 grain Interlock BTSP shoots great on top of Ramshot Hunter in my .25-06! I’ve used it to take lots of coyotes and an antlerless mule deer some time ago, its a good bullet as long as one avoids big bones.

I have used the SST in other calibers but never .257. I am wondering if there is any difference in jacket thickness etc. between it and the Interlock? I primarily use my .25-06 as a light mountain deer/sheep rifle but this fall it will be accompanying me to Wyoming for pronghorn Antelope.

The 117gr SST don’t like to be driven out of an 257 Wby. Jacket too thin for under 100yd game bullet.

Love Hornady
They've by far done the best job of keeping in keeping on with Covid and after...

BUT...

It pisses me off they discontinued the 25 cal 120gr interlock HP

That was the best bullet I've ever used in anything 25 cal
It just worked exceptionally well and was accurate too.

The 117 SST is a picky SOB at least what I've experienced

It pisses me off they discontinued the 25 cal 120gr interlock HP
I was lucky enough to pick up a 1000 of these a few years ago for $64 at a GS.
Not sure why they pulled the plug on them , great bullet.

Any reason you wouldn't want to stick with the Interlock? They would work fine for deer, sheep, and antelope.
None at all, in fact I have a bunch of them. The Interlock has treated me well over the years, in multiple calibers.

I was merely asking what real world difference if any there might be between the two.

The load I have worked up with the 117 Interlock and Ramshot Hunter is a good one!

No reason to switch from the BTSP. In fact, it flies ever so slightly flatter than the SST because of the .391 BC compared to the SST's .390. The BTSP is a tough bullet, as Fotis mentioned. I shot a deer at 10 yards with it with minimal meat loss and no bullet recovered.

No reason to switch from the BTSP. In fact, it flies ever so slightly flatter than the SST because of the .391 BC compared to the SST's .390. The BTSP is a tough bullet, as Fotis mentioned. I shot a deer at 10 yards with it with minimal meat loss and no bullet recovered.
Hair singing distance🔥 :LOL: Dan.

Back