257 Roberts and 115 gr Berger VLD

AK7AN

Beginner
Oct 30, 2015
Just picked up 3 of the Berger VLD sample packs at a good price from Cabelas. Was wondering if anyone on here has any good suggestions for loads? Rifle is a Ruger M77, 22 inch bbl. Brass that I use is WW, and the primers are CCI 200. Just want to try these bullets out and see how they perform in the Bob.
Thanks

Walt Berger used those bullets, in a .257 Roberts to take a HUGE red stag in New Zealand.

I've used them on three mule deer, from my .25-06, with good results - but my load data won't help you at all.

Might want to contact Berger? Or, I've got their load manual if that might help.

Regards, Guy

Thanks Guy, I just went to there website and requested some info. I guess I didn't think of that.
Thanks again
Ed

The tech support at Berger emailed me all the info about seating depths and how to find that sweet spot for accuracy. Just wondering how to go about finding when the bullet starts to touch the lands, so I can start with the tuning process. Just hope after all this effort that these will show in the field that they are a better choice than the 110gr Accubonds as on paper it looks like a wash, and the Accubonds shoot very well out of my Ruger M77. At least it gives me more reasons to go and shoot as practice is always needed.
Thanks
Ed

Well, the Berger VLD is a much, much different bullet than the AccuBond...

If the Accubonds shoot well from your Ruger... I'm not sure I'd even be looking at the Berger - except out of curiosity. I liked the Bergers, but came home to "my" Noslers.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":27370m7j said:
Well, the Berger VLD is a much, much different bullet than the AccuBond...

If the Accubonds shoot well from your Ruger... I'm not sure I'd even be looking at the Berger - except out of curiosity. I liked the Bergers, but came home to "my" Noslers.

Regards, Guy

It's going to be hard to beat the performance of the AB I think.

Back