.257 Roberts + Partition?

Nice! That'll kill deer. Looks like 2800 or so by QL. It looks like you could push up to 41 grains for about 3100 if your so inclined Heath. But if your not shooting too far I can't see that load not toppling even the biggest buck.

And a load like that will have next to no recoil either, nice. Glad you figured out what was wrong with the gun, it looks like a keeper now.

IMR 4350 is the powder to get 3000+ and sub MOA groups (if you are going to use IMR powders). I have been doing it for many years with (3) .257 Roberts rifles and a .250-3000. The load is 45.0 to 45.5 grains with BR-2 primers in Winchester or Nosler brass. Load them as long as you can.

I shot 30 rounds with IMR4350 from charges 45 - 45.5 - 46grs with varying depths with CCI200 and WLR primers, I got a couple groups that were 1.5" with WLR's. CCI's put the groups well over 2" and some touched 3". Not changing anything but powder to H4895 brought the group size down.

Heath, surprised!!!! :mrgreen: I guess each rifle really is a law unto itself? All of mine were Model 70's.

I know what you mean, every source I found said 46grs IMR4350 is it, if it won't shoot saw your rifle up and go sit in the corner.

I have nicknamed this rifle jinx. Shortly after making the last post about how great it's shooting 37grs H4895 blah blah blah I loaded up 6 more to shoot again. After measuring both 3 shot groups they were over 2" each. Jinx strikes again

I am beginning to believe that you have something physically amiss with that rifle. Somewhere in that system is a physical set of issues which keep that rifle from being accurate. My rifle when I first got it, shot 2+ inch groups and badly needed some TLC to get the rifle shooting again.

First I pillar bedded the rear action screw. My rifle had been free floated for the barrel but really wasn't. So, I bought a 5/8's diameter scraper and went to work. After about a half hour of scraping and sanding the barrel channel, it was free and ready to bed the action. I got out some modeling clay and built dams where I did not want any epoxy. Mixed up the epoxy and bedded the action. Then I had to scrape out all of the clay and clean the wax off metal parts.

When I was done, I had a rifle that would shoot MOA groups. Yours may be more simple. My rifle was just worn out.

This one has been floated and bedded in 2 different stocks now and the lugs are lapped, everything is torqued and the scope is good. It's jinxed..........

Heath without seeing the rifle, I can't get past the things that have mentioned. Every now and then, the factories put out a bad barrel as well. Have you had it air gauged and the crown checked? Just trying to help, even if I repeat stuff that you have already done.

Nope, wouldn't even know where to get one gauged. The crown looks good as far as I can tell, nice little blossom on there after being fired, no rough spots either. I really like the rifle and the round but it's wearing me out.

Thanks

Something is not right? I have never seen a Roberts that would not shoot, it is just like the 6mm Rem in that regard. Your rifle needs to see a doctor! This situation would wear on me as well.

Back