257 STW, Browning High Wall

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Has anyone played with the 257 STW? I've loaded for a couple of rifles chambered in this cartridge in years past, using 117 grain Sierra Game King bullets and slow powders such as H1000 and Retumbo. The cartridge generates some awesome velocities, but those individuals I know who own one have frequently complained about rapid throat erosion. My limited experience leads me to allow plenty of time to cool between shots and to keep the chamber and barrel clean.

I had an 1885 High Wall chambered in 257 STW delivered for load development with 110 and 115 grain bullets. I'm comfortable with using slow powders, and I have a goodly supply of A8700, Retumbo, US869, IMR7828 and N560 that will work well in the cartridge. I have data generated from QuickLoad. I have read Layne Simpson's article in Rifle Shooter from 1998. However, I still want to ask, has anyone on the forum worked with this cartridge? Loads and/or results? The second question is whether anyone has done much shooting with the High Wall? This is my first experience shooting this particular platform.

No experiance with it, but keep us posted on how it performs. That is a very interesting monster you've got there.

JT.

Thought I'd give an update. The High Wall shot well with 115 grain TSX. With Accurate 8700, I got velocities to 3500 fps and groups of 3/4 inch. With IMR 7828 and 115 TSX, I got velocities to 3600 fps and 1 inch groups. The rifle didn't like 110 grain Hornady InterBonds as well. I was unwilling to use my personal supply of 110 grain ABs. They are somewhat hard to find here in Canada at the moment. Unless the customer is willing to supply his own, I am loathe using bullets (and/or primers) in short supply.

That sounds like a great shooting load. Your right, Hoard your Accubonds! Scotty

The customer seems quite pleased, though I could perhaps refine the group with a little more time and some tweaking. Unfortunately, sometimes I have to work fast.

Back