.257 Norma Weatherby Magnum

Very interesting!

Do you have a date on when the rifle was built? Titus was already a pretty active gunsmith in the late 40s and 50s and since the 257WBY was made in 1944, this might well predate it or at least be a contemporary development. The early .257WBY had some issues, and this might be an attempt to rectify those.

Weatherby wasn't the only guy experimenting with high speed cartridges and Titus was rolling with some folks like Ackley who were working at the leading edge of rifle development.

I'd be most likely to leave it alone as a collector's type oddity- it certainly is a neat rifle from an interesting period in American gun making.

hodgeman":wszakg6i said:
Very interesting!

Do you have a date on when the rifle was built? Titus was already a pretty active gunsmith in the late 40s and 50s and since the 257WBY was made in 1944, this might well predate it or at least be a contemporary development. The early .257WBY had some issues, and this might be an attempt to rectify those.

I think it must’ve been later like after 1960 that this rifle was built. The forming dies were built specifically for forming/trimming .308 Norma Mag brass which caliber didn’t premier until 1960. That isn’t a sure thing however as the man could’ve had his smith load his ammo until he could acquire the necessary loading equipment to do so himself later down the road.

I’m going to look into this more before I do anything to the gun one way or another but being as the Weatherby is a period correct round, I see no problem in converting it if it proves to be not worth as much as a collector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy Miner":14z1ovua said:
It's your rifle, and I don't think you'd be "wrong" either leaving it as is, or converting it to 257 Weatherby.

Most of the old 257's had a rather slow twist rate, I forget what is in our old 257 Wby, but it seems to do best with standard 100 gr bullets, rather than the longer 115's & such.

Guy

I may end up converting it, the Weatherby is a period correct chambering so that’s still an option at the end of the day.

I’d also heard the older .25s had slower twists to accommodate the lighter 100 grain slugs. May give the 100 grain Etip a try, think that would be a great all around bullet in such a speed demon.

filmjunkie4ever":1ub3hz0p said:
Guy Miner":1ub3hz0p said:
It's your rifle, and I don't think you'd be "wrong" either leaving it as is, or converting it to 257 Weatherby.

Most of the old 257's had a rather slow twist rate, I forget what is in our old 257 Wby, but it seems to do best with standard 100 gr bullets, rather than the longer 115's & such.

Guy

I may end up converting it, the Weatherby is a period correct chambering so that’s still an option at the end of the day.

I’d also heard the older .25s had slower twists to accommodate the lighter 100 grain slugs. May give the 100 grain Etip a try, think that would be a great all around bullet in such a speed demon.

Chances are the 100 grain ETip won't work if it is a 12 twist. It isn't the weight of bullets, it is length of bullets. The 100 grain ETips are roughly the same length at 120 Partitions.

Can't be too much to run a 264 or 7mm Rem case in the die if it was originally a Norma 308. I do the same thing to make 257 Wby. Doubt there is much too it. I'd probably shoot it as is and see what happens. It is pretty danged classic as it sits.

SJB358":1mdbbseq said:
Can't be too much to run a 264 or 7mm Rem case in the die if it was originally a Norma 308. I do the same thing to make 257 Wby. Doubt there is much too it. I'd probably shoot it as is and see what happens. It is pretty danged classic as it sits.

If only it were that simple friend. It’s a form then trim then form then trim etc. process. Lastly of course the necks need turned down so they’re not so thick. And of course annealing if they’re to last at all.

Thinking really hard that this one may be going to the smith for a reamer.

SJB358":30ltdj59 said:
filmjunkie4ever":30ltdj59 said:
Guy Miner":30ltdj59 said:

Guy

Chances are the 100 grain ETip won't work if it is a 12 twist. It isn't the weight of bullets, it is length of bullets. The 100 grain ETips are roughly the same length at 120 Partitions.

How do you think the 120 gr Grandslam would do? I may just use a 100 grain Cup n core of somekind if the twist doesn’t allow heavier.

No clue knowing till you know the twist. I’d probably start with 100’s like a Partition or at most a 115 Partition.

If it’s a 12 you may get enough for some 120’s but 100 grainers for sure.

When you say form then trim, then more forming and trimming? What are the steps doing? I do a similar job with 300 Win into 7 Mashburn and this doesn’t look much different. How different is it than the 257 Wby case? Might be easier just starting with it and doing the small amount needed. Might have to ream donuts but you may not either.

Back