Quarterbore on Steriods: 257 Roy range report

efw

Handloader
Jan 17, 2011
Last night I finally had the opportunity to get out to the range with my good friend JD338. He graciously hosted me at his club for 1-, 2-, & 300 yard load testing.

I've very recently traded into a Weatherby Vangard in 257 Roy w/ a factory tupperware stock. I mounted a Bushnell 3200 10x tacticool scope on it in Talley lightweights and while the scope is ok, this experience (my third trip to the range w/ this rifle) proved to me that it'd benefit from a different scope.

I have a 257 AI that performs extraordinarily well with 100 gr & lighter bullets, so when I got this rifle I figured I'd run something heavy. I've had great luck w/ 117 Interlocks but they don't have much better BC than the 100 gr version.

In spite of much resistance on my part, I figured that this was a cartridge made for monometal bullets. Scope not withstanding, my first experience w/ monometal bullets was an exceptional one.

I had 100 gr ETips & TTSXs loaded with RL22 in Norma brass sparked by CCI-250s. After discussing w/ Jim, I realized I'd started high by going w/ 70-72 gr in 1 gr increments, so don't follow my lead and start down around 67-68. I loaded them to a rather strange-looking COAL of 3.12". I didn't get chance to chrono them, unfortunately. The only group I got to run on the latter bullets was 70 gr and here is what I got:

P1390945.jpg

Obviously a great group, but check out how the ETips performed:

P1390943.jpg

I had 5 cartridges loaded w/ 70 gr RL22. I've made a habit of running 2 shots at a time because the barrel heats so fast, and JD338 demonstrated how effective a wet paper towel on the barrel in between groups could be. When I sat down I fired a shot into the center bull which I couldn't see, then another into the lower left bull. I walked up and saw the first two shots while my barrel cooled, then I fired 2 more shots into the center bull and 1 more into the lower right.

100 gr ETips and 70 gr RL22 is obviously my load. The upper right corner is 71 gr, and the lower right is 72. Neither are anything to shake a stick at, but I don't see any need to push it w/ a one-hole group at 70!!

So from an guy who hasn't ever really cared much for magnums, and has always been too broke to justify monometal bullets, here is my conclusion: I do believe that this will be a go-to hunting rifle for quite some time!

Thanks a lot to JD338 for such a fantastic evening. He is a truly gracious host, allowing me the pleasure of firing his 35 Whelen & 6.5 RM, both of which were an absolute hoot!!!!

Those are a couple of great looking loads! I may have to steal them for my 257 bee :mrgreen: Keep us posted with further range results!

Eric,

Nice shooting buddy!
Your 257 Bee is a joy to shoot and she is an impressive shooter for sure.
After shooting your 257 Wby, my desire to own one has gone from a want to a need! :mrgreen:

JD338

Nice work! If I was going to own a Bee the 257 would be right up at the top of the list!

Those are bragging groups for sure!

Hah! another quarter bore convert! Most excellent! Good groups- good company- good times! CL

Very fine groups. Those are assuredly bragging groups. Congratulations.

The Bee hive becomes reality at 3 bees or more....

My rule! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BTW I will be trying the E-tip soon in my 257 Bee.

I think you will be equally as impressed with the E-Tip's performance on game this fall! :grin: They sure have been impressive in my son's 6mm Remington. Set up some water jugs at 100 yards and do a bullet test for us and show us the pictures of the recovered bullet! :lol:

DrMike":5xl3oo8r said:
What about bee hive?

Corey, you must have gotten up before breakfast this morning. You're awfully sharp.
Mo actually I worked graveyard 2120 to 0800 hrs. Every once in a while somthing good comes to mind.

Corey

Thank you all very much.

I'd assumed that I'd end up just painting the factory tupperware, mounting a variable scope and calling it good, but now that I see how well it shoots I'm second guessing myself. It might need a synthetic handle and some sort of coating?

Pretty exciting having an experience like this with a new rifle, although I'll definately leave the "bee hive" to Fotis!

Eric, check out the B&C Medalists for your WBY. Joel turned me onto them, and man, I am very impressed with them for the money. Can't beat it, at least I can't beat it.

Great shooting with that rifle. Can't wait to hear what that 257 does over the chrono. It has to be really zinging those little 100's and you won't ever have to worry about them coming apart either. Pretty confidence inspiring load. Throw up a picture of your rifle! Scotty

I am proud to introduce efw and his 257 Bee.
JDPictures055.jpg

JD338

Back